People Who Conceal Full Size Handguns

NES Studs are classy & luxurious high rollers no lie.

LOL, NES studs over 40 look like Grizzly Adams on a bender. Under 40 look like Best Buy Geek Squad. Convince me I'm wrong. [laugh]

Only think I can add is if OP want to try full size IWB, you have to have pants and belt slightly oversize to accommodate. OWB much easier to do, you just have to have something to cover it as others have mentioned- hoodie, jacket, vest (extra points if matching your chaps), or Cosby sweater.

Mike's completely right that we can all give you our experiences, but eventually you're going to need to try things yourself.

Since you asked specifically about appendix position, there are plenty of guys here are countering Colion Noir's argument that appendix is [only] for skinny people. It really is about what's comfortable for you though. Since everyone's giving their vitals, I'm about 6'3" and dropped from 210 to 185 in the last year (hooray inactivity!) I usually appendix carry a 9mm Shield in whatever inexpensive kydex holster came with it from the previous owner, because it's easy. And, as Paul Harrell says, program compliance is key.

I've also occasionally carried my G19 in a CompTac Infidel, though I found adding a claw to really fell like the butt's under control. I'm looking forward to trying out the Tier 1 Axis Elite that's on the way. A couple years ago, NSR donated an Appendix rig to the GOAL fashion show for a 1911 that was amazing, but somebody else got to take it home. That said, I've always been happy to carry my 19911 in a BladeTech Nano everywhere from Appendix to 5 o'clock position. In all cases, I use a Hank's leather belt because a stiff belt is a critical part of the equation.

So far as cover garments, dark colors and patterns are the easiest ways to conceal printing. Most of my shirts are black tees or button downs, worn untucked, with a hoodie or flannel if it's cooler out. If you're not goth like me, I hear this is why God made Hawaiian shirts?

Seriously though, nobody's looking at your waist most of the time, it's not that big of a deal.

LOL, NES studs over 40 look like Grizzly Adams on a bender. Under 40 look like Best Buy Geek Squad. Convince me I'm wrong. [laugh]

Only think I can add is if OP want to try full size IWB, you have to have pants and belt slightly oversize to accommodate. OWB much easier to do, you just have to have something to cover it as others have mentioned- hoodie, jacket, vest (extra points if matching your chaps), or Cosby sweater.
I resemble that remark!

But I finally traded the man bun for something shorter and blue; I think of it as urban camo.

6' and currently about 155, can conceal a sig p226 with a milt sparks VM2 and a crossbreed belt under a short sleeve button down.

The shape of the butt of the gun fits perfectly my hip at 3:30. Every body is different, but what you need is generally a holster with 2 clips, not one, plus a really thick belt.

If you're spendy you can get your clothes altered to fit the holster, shirts altered to look ok untucked.
What are you, f***ing slenderman?

6’5” and 300
Full-size carry iwb is never a problem, outside of my car. Beretta 92, SA 10mm TRP, or G19.

I’d be pretty f***ed if I ever had to draw in the car in any season other than summer.
However, I trend towards smaller guns in the heat. Formerly a Shield and now, once my holster is delivered, a 365XL

Last edited:
Fwiw im 5-7, 145 and carry a g19 with a 17rd mag aiwb in the summer. It actually conceals much better than anything at 4 oclock.

i've mentioned this before here...when i joined my first gun club ~1970, there was a guy who daily wore 3 full sized 1911's. no lie. right and left shoulder rigs and one iwb. he had extra mags hanging from the shoulder rigs like xmas ornaments on a tree. always wore a beat up london fog trench coat, rain or shine, summer or winter. he was eccentric to say the least but was a professional...maybe a lawyer, i forget, it's been too long. never seen anything or anybody like him since.

i'm a big guy and just find the weight of a full size pistol is nothing i care to deal with. i wouldn't even consider a shoulder holster, like being in a bra. and iwb/owb, i have to have my belt cinched tighter than usual just to keep the pants up from the extra weight or wear suspenders. i've always leaned towards the smallest and lightest gun in a reasonable caliber to daily carry. micro nines were a godsend to people like me.

Pulled a search on here and didn’t see any threads that covered this, so here goes.

How do you people who carry full size make it concealable? I’m getting awfully tempted by a G45, 19X, or G17, and want to know what holsters or belts you guys use to make it work. Been reading around for recommendations, but I want to hear from people who actually have experience carrying full size, specifically appendix.

Thanks for the input & roasting in advance.

I used to CCW a USP 45 full size for a few years LOL. At that time, I used a Comptac Minotaur MTAC at 4/5 o clock and usually wore button up shirts to lessen the chances of printing. Probably helped that I am 6'2/6'3 and at that time weighed probably 200/210 pounds.

Now one of my CCW is a G19 with a RMR and Surefire XC1 and carry APPX now - so ccw weight wise, I am still loaded down pretty good but with much better concealment Appx carrying - especially now that I weigh 180lb and have less body mass to soften printing.

Last edited:
I've carried everything from a 43X to a G17 AIWB. I currently use a Blue Alpha Gear EDC belt with MOSTLY Tier 1 Holsters. I can wear a t-shirt and you'd never even know I had a G17 in my waist. The only lights I use are surefire x300s on my guns. (PS, I don't wear huge baggy shirts at all either). 5'10" & 215 lbs.

I can’t imagine AIWB w full sized gun, for comfort reasons more than anything. It’s all I can do now not to pee on my Sig P365, I can’t imagine something w a longer barrel.

Last edited:
Get a proper leather holster and belt. Mitch Rosen, Wright, Tucker, Mernicle.. etc etc. Dont be like the rest of NES that buys a $850 glock and carries it with a phucking $60 crossbreed or sticky holster.
This speaks for 90% of the population in MA. They buy Glocks, gucci the f*** out of them & slap it in a 40$ alien gear holster with a leather belt from walmart and wonder why they're printing or have shitty gun draws while training.

Glock 19 in a Fobus paddle holster and once in a while I carry my S&W 65 in a leather pancake holster. I don't get too caught up in concealment. I just wear an untucked shirt. If it shows, it shows. I couldn't care less.
I hope ur kidding about using a Fobus holster.... [puke][puke2]

I carry a G19 every day, sometimes with a tlr7 and a red dot, sometimes just iron sights, 4 O'clock in an NSR "Yeager" holster (he's an ass but the holster is the shit), I wear jeans and a polo every day with a Nexbelt, sometimes a tucked in shirt, I have a tuckable NSR holster in the same style for that. I could easily do a g17 too, but it would print more often, I still wouldn't care much though, sheeple don't notice.

If I'm going somewhere carry is illegal or forbidden I switch to my p365 either appendix or 4 o'clock depending on if I'm gonna be sitting or standing a lot, I use a simple kydex iwb holster with a clip so I can slide it wherever I want it discreetly under my shirt. If it's a really sketchy place to carry I'll give in and throw my S&W 438 on my left ankle in a Galco ankle glove.

Last edited:
I've carried everything from a 43X to a G17 AIWB. I currently use a Blue Alpha Gear EDC belt with MOSTLY Tier 1 Holsters. I can wear a t-shirt and you'd never even know I had a G17 in my waist. (PS, I don't wear huge baggy shirts at all either). 5'10" & 215 lbs.
Blue Alpha Low Pro EDC belts are the balls.

How do Tier 1 compare to something like the TRex Raptor? I have a TRex Raptor Appx holster for my G19 and I can't stand it.

Carrying full size is easy, even a skinny person can do it with clothes that are a little big.

Now, carrying a gun when you are in shape and you wear good fitting clothes, maybe tight shirts is the real challenge ... although not a challenge most of NES has to worry about.

Carrying full size is easy, even a skinny person can do it with clothes that are a little big.

Now, carrying a gun when you are in shape and you wear good fitting clothes, maybe tight shirts is the real challenge ... although not a challenge most of NES has to worry about.
This is why I got a 365 for summer

This speaks for 90% of the population in MA. They buy Glocks, gucci the f*** out of them & slap it in a 40$ alien gear holster with a leather belt from walmart and wonder why they're printing or have shitty gun draws while training.

Most of those people don't actually carry, though. They buy the shit, they think they are going to, but they don't. Or they try to, but abandon it because its a pain in the ass and they made things harder on themselves by making shitty choices. I would be surprised if the "non LE 50% EDC rate" (eg, someone not in LE who is carrying a gun even 50% of the time they are legally able to) in MA is higher than even 10% of the licensed whole. We just have confirmation bias around here because a higher percentage of us carry, but as a generality you would be surprised how many, don't. They buy guns, pet them, maybe do the johnny one box at the range thing here and there, but many of them don't carry.

ETA: there are a lot of perfectly good holsters for 40 or 50 bucks, but I would be the last person on the planet to tell anyone they were insane for picking a $200 option, if it works for
them.

Last edited:

It hasn't been a problem for me since I've lost 50 pounds and gone from a 38 to a 33/32 pant and XL to L in shirts. I can still conceal my G19 Appx no problem in smaller, more fitted shirts. The PPS is a lot less of a chore to handle in that instance but still doable with the G19.

Back
Top Bottom