People turning to cannibalism in Buffalo

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member

Well not quite, but geez, this is kind of pathetic

Surrounded by snow Sunday night, McCandless ate a bowl of generic cinnamon toast crunch for Christmas dinner. In the morning, he grew concerned as his supply of bread and eggs dwindled and his number of cans of meatball soup fell to three.

“I was just getting low, and I was just getting nervous,” he said.

When his driveway was finally plowed at 9 a.m., McCandless set out looking for open supermarkets. “I drove 3 miles, then 5 miles in my car and nothing was open,” he said. “I gave up.”

At Salvatore’s Garden Place Hotel, less than 3 miles from the Buffalo Niagara International Airport, the food supply is shrinking as the hotel serves three meals a day to more than 80 guests.

“We are trying to survive as much as we can,” said Leven Oxmaul, a front desk agent, who has been snowed in since Thursday.

“We are kind of running out of food,” Oxmaul said, adding that there are no more snacks or drinks at the hotel’s gift shop. “It’s really frustrating. The guests as well are losing their patience. We can’t go anywhere. We’re buried in the snow.”

The “once-in-a-lifetime” blizzard — which killed at least 57 people nationwide, including 27 in western New York’s Erie County — has left many in dire predicaments.

Desperate pleas from Buffalo residents have flooded Facebook groups dedicated to storm recovery.

One person asked for spare diapers for twin infants, and another for cold medicine for a sick toddler. Multiple people made urgent requests for baby formula.

"Running really low on food, been stuck in our house," wrote one Buffalo resident with four small children. "Slightly starting to panic when I looked outside and seen it snowing more."

Imagine what Merica will be like if the shit really hits the fan.
Never underestimate the capabilities of a good 12 ga. with 00buckshot and slugs.
But, I like 308 and Green Tips. .40 Caliber or greater for side arms. If the SHTF, your wonder 9 will be woefully insufficient.

And some people wonder why other people move out into the woods in moderate climates, stock food, fuel, firewood, guns and ammo? [laugh]

Anyone in upstate NY (especially Buffalo area) who isn't fully prepared to spend 2 weeks minimum behind closed doors with a reliable alternative heat source and enough food and clothing doesn't much like living.

And then there is this....

Imagine what Merica will be like if the shit really hits the fan. I'm guessing waiting in an orderly manner in the breadline will not happen.
It will happen for some in densely populated areas IF government sends supplies but for most it's going to be panic, chaos, death and destruction.

When the "just in time" methods of retail sales (especially food) started showing cracks in the system and long before the covid panic, some people paid attention and worked to educate themselves and provide for their own survival.

An interesting read is One Second After, it addresses lots of issues that most people never think about in their daily bubble.

It will happen for some in densely populated areas IF government sends supplies but for most it's going to be panic, chaos, death and destruction.

When the "just in time" methods of retail sales (especially food) started showing cracks in the system and long before the covid panic, some people paid attention and worked to educate themselves and provide for their own survival.

An interesting read is One Second After, it addresses lots of issues that most people never think about in their daily bubble.
The thing that stuck with me from that book was the high level of mortality within 6 months due to lack of medication. Some crazy number like 20% of population gone within 3 months from diabetes and another 30% from heart related (bp, blood thinners) in the next 3 months. Me, I’m out when the pizza and tequila run out..

The thing that stuck with me from that book was the high level of mortality within 6 months due to lack of medication. Some crazy number like 20% of population gone within 3 months from diabetes and another 30% from heart related (bp, blood thinners) in the next 3 months. Me, I’m out when the pizza and tequila run out..
My buddy was in the Nuc, Chem, Bio disaster response unit (there's a name for it, but I can't remember) in the Guard. They war-gamed EMP strikes and the conclusion was that it would be worse and quicker than what's in that book. Very scary stuff. Most urban areas are lost. Florida is a "non-survivable environment" without electricity for 95% of the people that live there.
Edited to ad: North was better than South as to survivability.

Last edited:
That book started me on a little light prepper stuff (having some food and water on hand, other basic supplies, etc.), not end of world type prepping but enough to supplement a few weeks if there were major supply chain issues. The wife busted balls for years because I had taken up a few shelves in the basement. Then, when the plandemic hit and there were some intermittent shortages (chicken, pasta), she sheepishly asked me how much food we had. Needless to say, I don’t get much grief anymore about the use of the space. Now I can just respond “hey, having a few cans of beans and oats are better than cannibalism“. Ha!

That book started me on a little light prepper stuff (having some food and water on hand, other basic supplies, etc.), not end of world type prepping but enough to supplement a few weeks if there were major supply chain issues. The wife busted balls for years because I had taken up a few shelves in the basement. Then, when the plandemic hit and there were some intermittent shortages (chicken, pasta), she sheepishly asked me how much food we had. Needless to say, I don’t get much grief anymore about the use of the space. Now I can just respond “hey, having a few cans of beans and oats are better than cannibalism“. Ha!
Having a couple of weeks of food on hand is more than most people do.

Having a couple of weeks of food on hand is more than most people do.

Agree, and that points out several things. In a country where non perishable foods are quite readily available most of the time, most people are so programmed in their day to day living habits that they have completely lost the ability to think to themselves "What If". Well that what if hit several places around the country this past year, hurricanes, forest/wild fires, winter snow and cold, sabotage of the electrical grid. I'd wager 95% of the people who suffered these occurrences will never take even the slightest lesson from them to be even slightly more prepared for the next one.

When doing search and rescue years ago, I carried 2 weeks worth of food in my vehicle.....for two or three people and a couple of dogs.

I do not know nor have I ever met anyone who didn't have the means to put away a few weeks worth of food with minimal financial impact. It becomes deliberate laziness especially when things are well explained to them. That and programmed dependency.

My buddy was in the Nuc, Chem, Bio disaster response unit (there's a name for it, but I can't remember) in the Guard. They war-gamed EMP strikes and the conclusion was that it would be worse and quicker than what's in that book. Very scary stuff. Most urban areas are lost. Florida is a "non-survivable environment" without electricity for 95% of the people that live there.
Edited to ad: North was better than South as to survivability.

I think it's debatable as to whether or not the northern climes would be more survivable. I think if that were the case, homeless people would be flocking there instead of the warmer southern states and the west coast where it's shirt sleeve weather 90+ percent of the time.....along with the "freebies".

Surviving a 6 month winter under spartan conditions is very difficult at the very least. Takes a lot of calories and proper clothing to stay warm and dry.

I think it's debatable as to whether or not the northern climes would be more survivable. I think if that were the case, homeless people would be flocking there instead of the warmer southern states and the west coast where it's shirt sleeve weather 90+ percent of the time.....along with the "freebies".

Surviving a 6 month winter under spartan conditions is very difficult at the very least. Takes a lot of calories and proper clothing to stay warm and dry.
I think of all of this a bit differently. Where can I live where I have access to natural food resources, i.e. birds, mammals and fish. And where is there less population density, or competition for those resources. You live in massachusetts, you're dead. Too many people and hardly any natural resources left. Heck, place barely has any insects left, never mind animals.

Last edited:
They knew the storm was coming for at least a week.
Good thing all my prescriptions are 3 months supply.
We always keep a large supply of tylenol and motrin, canned goods, gasoline and a cord of wood.

I can build a house and a fire to stay warm. There ain't a goddamn thing I can do about oppressive heat and humidity without electricity. Not to mention keeping meat from spoiling, etc.

I think you may have misunderstood my post 😆

I was not suggesting that liberals would make do just fine with tofu and fake coffee!
Nope what I was saying is that i dont think that diet doesn't make sustainable energy from them at all if you have to resort to eating that diet

Wasn't clear.

Back to your fantasy.

I'll stick to hunting real food if it gets to this

My preps were acquired to soon. Obam’s 2008 America was my trigger time. I built a pantry in a spare room and filled it. Now it’s mostly empty and I’m a sick and tired shell of a man. I hope I’m one of the ones that go quickly in the first 3 months. Here’s to all you young guys! The cannibalism and Mad Max future belongs to you!!

So... 'What have you learned Dorothy?"

SCARECROW_b1c8a89c8a_z.jpg

Hmmm... did that type of looting and destruction happen during the blizzard of '78? I don't recall any.

Society has gone down hill...
there was a corner variety store in Brighton, that tried charging $5/gal of milk....which was probably $.85 at the time. The neighborhood kids sent a molotov cocktail into the place

I can build a house and a fire to stay warm. There ain't a goddamn thing I can do about oppressive heat and humidity without electricity. Not to mention keeping meat from spoiling, etc.

Sure there is, you've just not learned or been taught how. I understand being acclimated to the cooler/cold weather but your body will adapt. I went from MA mild summers to intense Kentucky heat and humidity, June July and August for basic training. Then from cold South Korean winter to Ft Hood Texas, 110 F in the shade.

Meat can be salted and dried. The key is not to kill more than will be consumed in a short period of time. Stick with small animals or larger animals to be distributed out to a larger group.
How do you think all the southern Indian tribes survived.....they weren't strictly vegetarians. People have lived in oppressive heat and humidity without electricity for thousands of years.....and still do, you'll adapt I assure you. It might be inconvenient but you'll adapt.

Back
Top Bottom