People Fleeing CA In Droves, Rental Truck Prices Skyrocketing.

ColdDayInHell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My old boss asked me 2 years ago if I would move to San Fran. I said I would need at least a 50% raise to even consider it and most likely double my salary to try to live like I live there. He dropped it and never asked again [laugh]

And that might not even cut it.An apartment in the city would probably cost double or more what my place in the city costs here.
What, you don't like shitty weather, junkies, moonbats, and people shitting in the street?

And FWIW, I just checked Uhaul prices from SF - Austin TX. 10' truck is like $2200, 15' $3300. But, there is none around. I checked this week and the end of the month. So, not that many people can just LEAVE. [rofl]

Climbnsink

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What, you don't like shitty weather, junkies, moonbats, and people shitting in the street?

And FWIW, I just checked Uhaul prices from SF - Austin TX. 10' truck is like $2200, 15' $3300. But, there is none around. I checked this week and the end of the month. So, not that many people can just LEAVE. [rofl]
If they are unable to buy a cheap truck and trailer and move themselves they are likely moonbats.

kevin9

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Posted this in the riot thread last week, but is really apropos here now:
View attachment 390412
LOL, just emailed the link to my brother.

Our family left for greener pastures in 1980. He went back, now he wants back out LOL.

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got friends in Idaho, tells me all the time that CA residents have been flocking there for the past few years. They disagree with 1 law or tax, move to Idaho and try to make it just like CA minus the 1 law or tax they did not like.
The "American Redoubt" is in doubt.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The people with the real money use moving companies to relocate them. I wonder how those rates are doing.
Sky high costs to have them “survey” the move so you can even get on the list.

IOW, slots on the waitlist are going to the highest bidder, and those lists are ordered by highest paying/heaviest moves. Add-on fees for things like non-standard packs, no driveway or road frontage, shuttling, multi-level, etc are insane moneymakers right now. A friend of mine owns a moving company in the Bay Area, and he’s booking every line haul (I know movers have a different term for it but I can’t remember it right now) and storage he can find.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Unless they’re clearing 500k It’s hard to imagine that being a good deal. A CA friend and his wife that were almost at 400k just bailed out to FL with their 3 kids because he didn’t want to be chained to a 2 million+ house for 30 years.

ETA: also my cousin and her husband from socal, who more or less lived there for their kids whole lives, are also punting out to TX.... kids are grown, communism is too much.
I bet their rent is twice my mortgage though, since they're right in the city. It's crazy. Part of the problem is that they work in "California industries" that aren't big anywhere else, aside from maybe NYC which is hardly more affordable and has equally dumb politics. So they're sort of stuck. I'm hoping they'll move now that they have a kid - once he starts walking, he's almost guaranteed to step on a dirty needle outside in that shithole city.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Can we put a constitutional amendment that makes it so you have to wait 5-10 years to vote when moving to a new state??? That would help!!
And you must have a minimum 10 years of continuous residency within a state before you can run for any of its public offices.
This would have disqualified carpetbaggers like Hillary Clinton (NY Senator), Mitt Romney (UT Senator) and Granny Warren.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The real irony of California is that it got f'd up by shitheads moving from other states and trying too hard to be Californian.

Massachusetts used to be a lot different, who's to blame for that ?

Personally, I blame white women.

They are worse than radical Islam to a society.

:)

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Does this come as a surprise to anyone ???
Even before the massive wildfires, people with the means were leaving to escape the politics and insane taxes, the fires are only adding to the urgency.

Some backup to that article.

One of the guys I work with just moved a couple of weekends ago. He had been living in an apartment up here in MA after selling his house in RI and looking for a house in the southern MA- 495 area. Finally found one and needed a truck to move everything out of storage. He said he called around to a bunch of different places - and nobody had anything. Finally found one at Penske - and reserved it. Truck was already out and somebody was supposed to return it. When he went to pick it up - the 1st guy never returned the thing. But here's the kicker: between the daily rate they were charging and the $1.90 a mile fee on top of that - it was going to cost him something like $700 to rent the truck for-one-day. He said the rates were pretty much the same everywhere.

I haven't rented a truck in a long time - but he claimed that was probably about triple what it would normally cost.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was considering loving to California when Raytheon laid me off 18 years ago.
Now I am glad I didn't go there. But we still have the Moonbats moving in to
New Hampshire.

Malodave

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If they are unable to buy a cheap truck and trailer and move themselves they are likely moonbats.
I was going to say the same thing. Just rent or borrow a pickup truck - and then BUY a cargo trailer. For the rates that they're asking for truck rentals you could likely buy a cargo trailer for the same price - once you're done with the move - sell the trailer.

But like you said: if they can't figure shit like this out for themselves they're likely moonbats.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Unless they’re clearing 500k It’s hard to imagine that being a good deal. A CA friend and his wife that were almost at 400k just bailed out to FL with their 3 kids because he didn’t want to be chained to a 2 million+ house for 30 years.
its not the salary - its the Options and Restricted Shares in their tech company employer(s)... In this market - its easy, fast multiplying retirement money,
If you can live on Salary, and if you're dual income family then all the Options and RS is banked and not taxed until later, when you can be anywhere you want.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
its not the salary - its the Options and Restricted Shares in their tech company employer(s)... In this market - its easy, fast multiplying retirement money,
If you can live on Salary, and if you're dual income family then all the Options and RS is banked and not taxed until later, when you can be anywhere you want.
Yes, assuming the options aren't trash or diluted when you go to cash them in... but if you're working for someone that big, you probably don't have to live in SF,
either, if you don't want to.

powerman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I think Bill Oreilly just said that 50% of new York city residence (above some income) are thinking of leaving NY. i may have that wrong, but even 10% actually do that would be huge.

powerman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I was going to say the same thing. Just rent or borrow a pickup truck - and then BUY a cargo trailer. For the rates that they're asking for truck rentals you could likely buy a cargo trailer for the same price - once you're done with the move - sell the trailer.

But like you said: if they can't figure shit like this out for themselves they're likely moonbats.
agree 100%, there biggest issue is their Prius ain't pulling any trailer or they don't even have a car and their friends don't own trucks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree 100%, there biggest issue is their Prius ain't pulling any trailer or they don't even have a car and their friends don't own trucks
That is an interesting point... with Uber, Lyft, public transportation, etc. many who live in the cities don't have cars and many of the younger generation don't bother with drivers licenses.

The rich can afford to hire someone to get them out but there may be an entire class of people who are effectively trapped in the big cities. They can't afford to hire someone to get them out.They can't rent the equipment and do it themselves. Even if they could, when they get to where they are going they can't get anywhere because public transport outside of the big cities isn't what it is inside the big cities.

I hadn't thought of that before.

Climbnsink

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the inability to think of or deal with an old truck. I once bought a beat up $1,000 truck just to move, figuring I could sell it afterword for the same. And any mechanical crapouts I most likely could jiggerrig long enough to get the job done. Ended up keeping the truck around for a few years. Not being able to do that doesn't guaranty they are moonbats, but makes it much more likely.

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0

The truck isn't really the major deciding factor.

Where in the country is there just a huge surplus of empty real estate just sitting around waiting for city dwellers to come and live in it? Trucks are a relatively fungible and moveable commodity (you CAN ship a UHaul truck from say Tennessee to CA if you really need one out there) - it's a little bit harder to do that with a single family house or an apartment building.

All that being said - I am definitely noticing an increase in out of state plates in my area. And they appear to be living here , because I'm seeing them at supermarkets and food stores like Trader Joes. So they're not just traveling thru but going out and doing food shopping - which would indicate a non-transitory state. The plates are mostly New York and California. But I have seen an occasional Washington plate and some New Jersey.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Buddy of mine recently moved to Asheville. He made two one way trips with two different trailers. Bought both of them here via Craig's List and Fakebook Marketplace and made a profit on both trailers when he sold them in Asheville.

Top Bottom