• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pentagon destroys first run of book, State Secrets

Be nice to get a first edition of this.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/25/books.destroyed/index.html?hpt=T1
By Chris Lawrence and Padma Rama, CNN

Washington (CNN) -- The Department of Defense recently purchased and destroyed thousands of copies of an Army Reserve officer's memoir in an effort to safeguard state secrets, a spokeswoman said Saturday.

"DoD decided to purchase copies of the first printing because they contained information which could cause damage to national security," Pentagon spokeswoman Lt. Col. April Cunningham said....

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont worry, you will be able to get the original book soon enough.

There were copies of the original as an eBook auctioning for going for around $500. Once the winner gets his copy, I am sure it will spread like wildfire on the net.

The govt should have just kept their mouth shut. Instead they ended up propping up this book as something really amazing and secret.

Wether for good or evil, nobody can stop the proliferation of information on the internet.

The author of the book was interviewed on fox earlier. He said he submitted it to the Army prior to publishing it, and they noted 20 something things that needed to be omitted. He complied and went on to publish it, then the state dept. took issue with it. He said the memo he got from the SD had requests to remove hyphens and other nonsense, then they used 47,000 tax dollars to buy up the books to be destroyed.

You know who else burned books?

book-burn.jpg

There were copies of the original as an eBook auctioning for going for around $500. Once the winner gets his copy, I am sure it will spread like wildfire on the net.

The govt should have just kept their mouth shut. Instead they ended up propping up this book as something really amazing and secret.

Wether for good or evil, nobody can stop the proliferation of information on the internet.

Absolutely. Thank god for p2p.

More people probably saved copies of that book they burned than could be counted and they worked for the gubberment that burned them! This is a sad time in American History that this was allowed this to happen. The good news is that the gubberment will soon learn they don't have the ability to keep secrets from those that follow their workings. Only the ignorent masses will think it was for the best that the first copy was destroyed.

No wonder why people like Hitler got elected! The only reason the gubberment would burn this book is because they are inept and incompetent at protecting America. The only secrets they have are from the average American that thinks they are benefactors of the American way of life.

They paid off the victims of 911 because they were incompetent and inept at protecting America. They still are and you can bet that under Obama we are less protected than we have ever been. Lets us always remember and make it known that the terrorist came here and trained in the USA under Clinton.

Why do you think BO wants the power to throw the switch on the net?

The screwup was that the army and the author had not done a proper job proofing the book to make sure nothing classified was getting out before going to press

It reminds me the story I heard when Tom Clancy went to publish "The Hunt For Red October" for the first time. He used the Naval institute press. Upon reviewing the book, they recommended that for reasons of national security that the book not be published. Clancy asked them what they wanted taken out so that they would go ahead and publish it. The navy then responded by saying "We can't tell you that! It's Classified!"

So what is the Pentagon going to do when this book starts getting sold electronically for the Kindle and in iBooks? Do a DoS attack on the servers?

Be nice to get a first edition of this.

"DoD decided to purchase copies of the first printing because they contained information which could cause damage to national security," Pentagon spokeswoman Lt. Col. April Cunningham said....

I think they said the same thing about releasing the truth about UFO'S.

Back
Top Bottom