• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pennsylvania to follow Hawaii? (weed and guns)

allen-1

NES Member
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Pennsylvania State Police officials are stirring up protest among Pennsylvania gun-owners who are also potential medical marijuana patients.

“It disturbs me greatly to see the Pennsylvania State Police put on their website references to federal law while ignoring the fact that it is legal under Pennsylvania law,” says Patrick Nightingale of Greenfield.

Nightingale is a gun owner, a criminal defense attorney, and a recent applicant for a medical marijuana card.

What disturbs him is a State Police statement on their website, citing federal law, telling medical marijuana card holders, “It is unlawful for you to keep possession of any firearms which you owned or had in your possession prior to obtaining a medical marijuana card, and you should consult an attorney about the best way to dispose of your firearms.”

LINK: Will Pa. Gun Owners Have To Give Up Their Firearms To Get Medical Marijuana?

One big difference is that Pennsylvania gun owners don't have to register their firearms like Hawaii guns do, so there's no simple cross-referencing of lists.

One big difference is that Pennsylvania gun owners don't have to register their firearms like Hawaii guns do, so there's no simple cross-referencing of lists.

Yes and no. For long guns there's no records other than the 4473s. For handguns sold from an FFL, a PICS check is done, which the PA State Police retain the record of in a "sales database." Don't ask me why the PA Supreme Court actually agreed that this was constitutional; it's not in any way.

The feds need to stop dicking around with weed and just let that one go. I'd rather see them take a shot at doing something about heroin and fentanyl, which are much larger problems in this country.

It isn't (and never has been) about fixing a problem - it's about control. There are no records for heroin or fentanyl unless arrested, prosecuted and convicted (at least in a freer state). Medical marijuana is low hanging fruit, there is a government issued permission slip that you sign and gets filed - of course they are going to kick you in the nethers.

Almost no cost to generate a list, minimal cost to send out letters to users and local PDs.

The problem here is this needs to be taken care of legislatively. Legalize it or get it off of the prohibiting factors in terms of gun ownership. I don’t partake in any of it, so I have no skin in the game. But, make no mistake that the globalists who want everyone to come in illegally will be the first ones to come after us for not respecting federal law just as how we go after them on immigration.

You know as much as I think that the weed laws are stupid, I say keep them in place. Because to me they look an awful lot like bad gun laws. A legally owned gun crosses an imaginary line on a map and suddenly 10 years in prison? I can imagine a similar weed scenario with a CA hippie with a bag of weed crossing that same imaginary line in the sand and breaking a very similar law. Let's start locking up some hippies for driving into NJ because of a 'made up' traffic stop because their car has license plates from a state where weed is legal. As much as I think it will hurt a small subset of gun owners, it's going to hurt a whole bunch of sandal and beads hippies a whole lot more. Nothing like watching some dumb liberal doing a perp walk that brings a whole lot of schadenfreude to my day.

Let's fix the idiocy of gun laws first, then we can tackle the problem of a couple of joints in the glove compartment.

Why does getting a card prohibit you from having a firearm? What if I want to be one of the cool kids, and have a medical marijuana card, but my mom doesn't let me smoke weed? If I never use it, I should be able to still have my guns, right?

Or is the card considered "intent to break dumb federal law?"

I know people who have a driver's license but don't drive.

Not sure if serious- Last I knew, PA has a state level handgun thing (Unless they repealed PICS, there was a bill but I don't know whether it passed or not) when you go to buy a handgun, and the counties still issue carry licenses. It would be trivially easy for authorities to cockblock someone if they release the MMJ card holder info to LE databases there.

Right now with the way the federal court cases on this issue went down, anyone who owns guns and intentionally gets an MMJ card is just asking to get punched in the rectum WRT their rights.

-Mike

Why does getting a card prohibit you from having a firearm? What if I want to be one of the cool kids, and have a medical marijuana card, but my mom doesn't let me smoke weed? If I never use it, I should be able to still have my guns, right?

Or is the card considered "intent to break dumb federal law?"

I know people who have a driver's license but don't drive.

Because the courts made a totally shit decision and, at least right now, said decision is binding.

I thought exactly the same as you did when it happened "Wait... this is f***ing mind numbing- they just made a decision that makes you disabled without actually having to prove in a court of law that you engaged in behavior that is actually disabling. "

-Mike

View attachment 217608

That's one part. The second part, which I guess is really what you're asking is that marijuana as far as I can tell falls under schedule one of the Controlled Substances Act.

Yeah, I get that we sign the form when we buy a gun, I just wasn't sure I had seen the actual federal law that's in play for controlled substances and guns.

OK, New Guy answered my question with the bold. I guess it makes sense that you wouldn't go out of your way to get the "cool kid card" without planning on actually using it.

So...because marijuana is "a drug", and there is no federally recognized "lawful" use, if you use it you're a PP. But opiates that a doctor prescribe, have a "lawful" use, as long as you're not an addict (is it the same as an alcoholic, going to meetings?) and a doctor told you that you can have the pills, then you're fine to carry? My brain hurts.

Yes and no. For long guns there's no records other than the 4473s. For handguns sold from an FFL, a PICS check is done, which the PA State Police retain the record of in a "sales database." Don't ask me why the PA Supreme Court actually agreed that this was constitutional; it's not in any way.

The feds need to stop dicking around with weed and just let that one go. I'd rather see them take a shot at doing something about heroin and fentanyl, which are much larger problems in this country.

Might be kinda callous but f it let em have all the h and fentanyl they are self correcting

All those stupid questions on the 4473 remind me of the stupid questions they used to ask you at the airport. "Did you pack your own bags?"

2 things come to mind....

1. I'm not sure that anyplace come close to being as bad as Hawaii. In order to buy a gun you have to submit a current medical assessment of your mental well being along with your other paperwork to the local PD to get a permit to buy the gun. If they do not like your paperwork they can confiscate the current guns you own.

2. Asking "did you pack your own bags" at the airport is not a stupid question.

Two words why they will not let it go. Jeff Sessions

lifelong antidrug crusader who runs the Justice Department like it’s 1955

Might be kinda callous but f it let em have all the h and fentanyl they are self correcting

I should have been clearer, I'd like to see them do something about medical prescribers' prescribing habits in regard to opiates. This is the root cause of the epidemic. Once you do that, you're right, the problem self-corrects.

Two words why they will not let it go. Jeff Sessions

lifelong antidrug crusader who runs the Justice Department like it’s 1955

Yeah, I was never really on the Sessions bandwagon, but I had some degree of hope that he might be able to clean up the mess that is the DOJ a little. I'm still holding out hope that he's got something up his sleeve, but so far has just been a massive disappointment.

By the way, this was only done by one county in Hawaii (unlike ma the local government is all at the county level) and that county has already reversed its decision.

By the way, this was only done by one county in Hawaii (unlike ma the local government is all at the county level) and that county has already reversed its decision.

Got a citation/link for that please? I saw all of the original links, haven't seen anything about a reversal...

Thank you.

Bit of a mix there -

The Honolulu Police Department will not enforce a controversial policy requiring legal marijuana patients to turn in their guns. The department issued a notice Tuesday, saying it is consulting with other governmental agencies, as well as reviewing recent court rulings regarding the issue. HPD said it will, however, continue to deny new firearm permits to applicants with medical marijuana cards.

Back
Top Bottom