Pennsylvania non resident ltc

My PA non resident ltc is up for renewal. I'd prefer not to travel all the way out to Centre county to renew it. I'm told not all counties process non resident apps. Anyone aware of a county closer to MA that does?

I had a good experience with Lackawanna county (Scranton) about 18 months ago. It took about 20 minutes total. Not sure if anything has changed since then.

edit - just checked their website and they are not processing for nonresidents due to the pandemic. I guess you could call and see if that has changed with all the pandemic restrictions being lifted.

Lackawanna isn't accepting out of state applications right now. Because COVID. :rolleyes:

I had a Pa Non-Resident for years, from back when the Sheriff of Centre County was very pro guns. (And, so far as I can tell, so is his successor.) When I did my last renewal four years ago, we were in the Sheriff's Office for all of 20 minutes, including the time for physically producing the laminated card, plus a discussion with the ladies in the office as to the best places in Bellafonte for lunch.

Then, the Pa Attorney General ruled that permits and renewals could not be done by mail. I was reluctant to drive back to Pennsylvania (which is a very pretty state, so long as you stay out of the big cities), because of travel restrictions based on the Kung Flu. They lady in charge at Centre County sent me an email reminding me of the need to renew, and in person. When I said that we couldn't drive from Ma to Pa, she advised that the Sheriff had administratively extended permits until the end of the year, which the Governor then extended to June 30, 2021. See:

Mine's from Jefferson County, but that doesn't help you any since it's another couple hours further west.

Lackawanna is closer, but unfortunately it seems they aren't taking applications as previously mentioned. I guess just make the drive. At least it's summer, so the drive will be pleasant and you won't have to contend with any snowstorms going over the mountains. Detour down to Gettysburg and spend a couple days touring the battlefield maybe?

After a frustrating experience trying to find a county closer to me than Centre I decided my fate was sealed. I'm on staycation this week. I had originally planned to do an overnight stay making the drive a little less of a hassle. Most of the to do list items turned out to be bigger projects than I had bargained for. So I drove out to Centre county during the overnight taking a one hour nap along the way. I arrived just about when they opened at 9:00 am. There were six people in front of me. I was on my way with new LTC in hand in about 30 minutes. I'm not sure if PA non resident gets me anything it the big picture of states I can carry in but I didn't want to let it expire. The next time I go out there to visit I wont have this on my to do list.

Last edited:
The website says all out of county applications will be denied by staff. Berks County Sheriff's Office Online License to Carry Gun Permit Director
Read 11 thru 15. Don't need a permit if you have one issued by any other state

1. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
  2. A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
  3. Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
  4. A person lawfully engaged in the interstate transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of firearms).
  5. Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided: (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109. (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

Read 11 thru 15. Don't need a permit if you have one issued by any other state

1. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
  2. A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
  3. Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
  4. A person lawfully engaged in the interstate transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of firearms).
  5. Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided: (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109. (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
First I was not aware of that so thank you for bringing it to my attention. Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy when it comes to legal matters I still want a permit. I wouldn't be the first guy to spend tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees proving I'm right. FOPA comes to mind. Twenty bucks plus travel time is cheap insurance in my opinion. I'd like to visit the Poconos during the fall season soon. Maybe this year, maybe next. It's one less thing to worry about.

Looks like we are shit out of luck

Correct.
Can't carry in PA on a MA permit.
Can't carry in PA on a CT permit.

You know of course I can carry in PA on my GA permit. :)

Quick runthrough of that site using the states I'm familiar with seems to strongly suggest that PA extends reciprocity to those states that extend reciprocity to them.

Correct.
Can't carry in PA on a MA permit.
Can't carry in PA on a CT permit.

You know of course I can carry in PA on my GA permit. :)

Quick runthrough of that site using the states I'm familiar with seems to strongly suggest that PA extends reciprocity to those states that extend reciprocity to them.

And can carry in PA on my NH license. 👍

"The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania shall recognize all valid NH Licenses issued to legal residents of the State of New Hampshire who are 21 years of age or older; the rights and privileges of NH License holders recognized under this Reciprocity Agreement shall be the same as, and not greater than, those rights and privileges granted to P A License holders under Pennsylvania law."

Doesn't seem particularly restrictive.

"The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania shall recognize all valid NH Licenses issued to legal residents of the State of New Hampshire who are 21 years of age or older; the rights and privileges of NH License holders recognized under this Reciprocity Agreement shall be the same as, and not greater than, those rights and privileges granted to P A License holders under Pennsylvania law."

Doesn't seem particularly restrictive.
I remember hearing some time ago that Pennsylvania's agreement with New Hampshire was in jeopardy. I really don't recall on any other details I just remember hearing it. I was quoting the uscca's website. That's enough to make me wonder if carrying on a resident New Hampshire CCW is actually legal. Like I said earlier in this thread with regard to legal matters I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy. Your mileage may vary.

I remember hearing some time ago that Pennsylvania's agreement with New Hampshire was in jeopardy. I really don't recall on any other details I just remember hearing it. I was quoting the uscca's website. That's enough to make me wonder if carrying on a resident New Hampshire CCW is actually legal. Like I said earlier in this thread with regard to legal matters I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy. Your mileage may vary.
I downloaded the reciprocity letter from the PA AG's website, but, hey, go with USCCA by all means. By the way, the USCCA map posted lists the only PA restriction as "at least 21 years old and resident permits only," so exactly what the AG's letter said.

I downloaded the reciprocity letter from the PA AG's website, but, hey, go with USCCA by all means.
Residing in Massachusetts I don't have a dog in this race. So whatever is true doesn't really concern me at all. I was only commenting on the source of my information. I understand that New Hampshire is now constitutional carry. However when they send me a renewal for my non-resident license I renew it. Again belt and suspenders.

Residing in Massachusetts I don't have a dog in this race. So whatever is true doesn't really concern me at all. I was only commenting on the source of my information. I understand that New Hampshire is now constitutional carry. However when they send me a renewal for my non-resident license I renew it. Again belt and suspenders.

Like I said, yet again, I can carry in PA on my NH license. 👍

I live in MA and my mom is in PA, along with one branch of work. About 5 years ago my NH non-res license got me PA. As quoted in post-20, PA now only recognizes NH licenses issued to NH residents. Maybe that is what you heard.

I still maintain my NH non-res license as well as my ME one, mainly because I have a crappy memory for minutia. Those states' constitutional carry laws have several exceptions. I forget which state these apply to, but in one, without the license you have a duty to inform a PO if you are carrying. Can't be armed on a snow machine or ATV. Can't bring guns into Acadia or state parks. All those go away with the non-res licenses. There may be more exceptions, but of course, I forget[laugh]

Unfortunately that list is woefully outdated, as I'm finding out just now.

The governor is no longer extending expirations, yet the sheriff that issued my now-expired license still isn't accepting applications. Go figure.

Assuming that you're using non-res PA because it's multi-state;
you might want to look at Utah, Virginia and Florida - their non-resident permits are accepted in many states.

Assuming that you're using non-res PA because it's multi-state;
you might want to look at Utah, Virginia and Florida - their non-resident permits are accepted in many states.
No, I want to actually carry in PA, I go there often. They only accept resident out of state licenses so any of my non-res ones are no good.

Back
Top Bottom