Pennsylvania non resident license

Based on this thread, I just applied in Adams County, PA. I filed out an app and sent it down to them via FedEx. They approved my non-resident application in just 4 days, no questions asked at all (except those on the application). I have the letter stating I am approved, and now I have 30 days to go down there and get my permit. It's a 7 hour drive each way, I'm planning to go next week...

Are there any pa counties that will mail it to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centre county 3 guys 1 a renewal 30 minutes $20 cash. Bring application filled out (which u can get off line) copy of your MA. LTC and a copy of MA. drivers license. These are the most friendly and helpful people. The license is good for 5 yrs.. In some county's you can mail your application in and go there in person and pick up your license. I believe in 30 days. I have been doing this for yrs.. I go to the Carlisle car show every yr. and check out some gun shows. The price of guns is better but ammo and reloading supplies are the same as MA. or higher.

Just got back from Adams County (Gettysburg) PA. My application was approved in 4 days, it took 5 minutes to get photographed and have the card laminated. They handed me the license on the spot. They even allowed me to check my knives at security for the courthouse, before going through the metal detector. A very pleasant experience. Only $20 for 5 years...

Yeah like most big cities, Philly is not run by gun friendly folks.

Sent from my m8whl using Tapatalk

Defending yourself with a lawfully owned firearm in Philadumpia makes MA look friendly by comparison. The anti gun bullshit runs deep in that town.

-Mike

Defending yourself with a lawfully owned firearm in Philadumpia makes MA look friendly by comparison. The anti gun bullshit runs deep in that town.

-Mike

Agreed. Philthydelphia ****s up every PA election, making it all about Philthydelphia and nothing else, and when combined with Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) the entirety of the Moonbat population of the state. Stay as far away as possible.

Lackawanna County is the easiest place to go for one, since Scranton is conveniently right along the I84 to I81 to I80 route.

Has anyone gone through (or attempted) the process in Philly? I am happy to make a field trip elsewhere if it's going to be a pain in the ass.

Also I was thinking about bringing a couple (handguns) with me to shoot with my buddy while I am there (wont be carrying obv.)
If I take the train the protocol on Amtrak is pretty straight forward, If i drive I am driving through CT, NY, and NJ which seems like an unholy trinity and a total cluster-F of transport/possession laws.

Also I was thinking about bringing a couple (handguns) with me to shoot with my buddy while I am there (wont be carrying obv.)
If I take the train the protocol on Amtrak is pretty straight forward, If i drive I am driving through CT, NY, and NJ which seems like an unholy trinity and a total cluster-F of transport/possession laws.

Stay the **** out of NJ. Go I-84 through CT, NY and into PA, then go south from Scranton. Unloaded in a locked container in the trunk; don't drive like a total retard, and you'll be fine. I'm making that drive myself this weekend and have never had any trouble in the past.

If you don't have a trunk, unloaded in a locked case buried under as much crap as you can and not visible. Also make sure your LTC is safely hidden away in your wallet so in case you get pulled over it's not going to be visible when you pull out your DL.

But seriously, don't bother with Philadelphia County. I'm not even sure that they would issue you a non-resident license; not all counties do. Plus it looks like they require all sorts of insane proof of residence paperwork, and from what I'm reading in the forums they don't issue on the spot. If you take the route I described above, you'll go right through Scranton. Just stop and get it there. Faster. Easier. Issued on the spot.

Awesome thanks for the advice!
Everything going to be locked, unloaded, inaccessible, and out of sight.
I don't plan on driving like a retard, but definetly plan on taking my time and not being in any kind of hurry to get jammed up.

When New Hampshire went to constitutional carry, they eliminated the requirement that a non-resident have an LTC in their home state in order to get a NH pistol/revolver license. New Hampshire non-resident license has reciprocity with Pennsylvania. It does cost $100 for 5 years, but you don't have to appear in person to get it, and mine was completed in 14 days. Just another idea...

Did you guys have weapons in your cars when you went to PA so you can carry on the rest of the trip?
Yes. As I walked through the metal detectors the security guys asked what's on my hip. I told them it was an empty holster and lifted my shirt to show them and they waved me right through without an issue.

When New Hampshire went to constitutional carry, they eliminated the requirement that a non-resident have an LTC in their home state in order to get a NH pistol/revolver license. New Hampshire non-resident license has reciprocity with Pennsylvania. It does cost $100 for 5 years, but you don't have to appear in person to get it, and mine was completed in 14 days. Just another idea...
PA waffles on whether they accept the nr nh permit. If you spend much time in pa you might as well just get it, it's cheap and easy.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

PA waffles on whether they accept the nr nh permit. If you spend much time in pa you might as well just get it, it's cheap and easy.

Yup, though you'd probably be pretty safe so long as you didn't draw too much attention to yourself and weren't doing something stupid in some place like Philly. Much easier to just get a PA permit instead, and since you're obviously going to be there in person anyway, why would you spend an extra $80 for a NH permit you don't really need now? PA also has reciprocity with a lot of other states like OH and such. Gets you a few extras.

Did you guys have weapons in your cars when you went to PA so you can carry on the rest of the trip?

Yup. I loaded up right after I walked out with the license in hand and drove the rest of the way to Pittsburgh with my EDC in it's proper place. You don't need a license to possess a firearm in PA, just to carry one concealed.

If you go on the pa site it says you have to have a resident license for reciprocity. So the Nh doesn't cut it. The wording on the state website has changed at some point. Look into it as I can't recall exactly.

However if you speak to some counties they say you're fine with non res Nh, the state ag says resident only.

If you go on the pa site it says you have to have a resident license for reciprocity. So the Nh doesn't cut it. The wording on the state website has changed at some point. Look into it as I can't recall exactly.

However if you speak to some counties they say you're fine with non res Nh, the state ag says resident only.

The website does not say anything about resident only, except for additional notices for a few states. NH is not one of those states.

The website does not say anything about resident only, except for additional notices for a few states. NH is not one of those states.

It must have changed. I just looked into this beginning of the year and it had written that it had to be resident licenses.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Good info. I go to Lancaster a few times a year, but when they quit mailing licenses I didn't renew and have relied on my NH out of state. Next time I'm in Lancaster I'll get a license as a backup. That will make 4 in my wallet(MA, NH, ME, PA).[rolleyes]

Good info. I go to Lancaster a few times a year, but when they quit mailing licenses I didn't renew and have relied on my NH out of state. Next time I'm in Lancaster I'll get a license as a backup. That will make 4 in my wallet(MA, NH, ME, PA).[rolleyes]

Ironically, two of those are constitutional carry now lol.

But as browncoat said, PA waffles back and forth on NH. Back around Christmas time they only honored resident permits. Now apparently they take non-res as well. There's a good chance the local cops would probably not bother you much if you produced it. Even a decent chance that the staties wouldn't know enough to give you any trouble, but for $20 and 10-30 minutes of your time I think the peace of mind is worth it.

The deputy I dealt with at the Jefferson County sheriff's department was actually surprised that PA didn't honor the MA license. He was aware enough to know a little about the level of bullshit we go through to get licensed here, but was surprised that it wouldn't be honored in PA. We then had a discussion about Trump and national reciprocity. Central PA really is full of good people; they all get it.

Here's the story on PA as I recall it from a number of years ago.

PA AG declared that NR NH were GTG.

PA State Police declared that NR NH were NOT acceptable.

It was a pissing contest, but who is more likely to stop you and inquire? Do you think that the AG's office is out there enforcing MV laws or State Police??

Better to be safe than sorry and ~$20 is pretty cheap insurance.

....Next time I'm in Lancaster I'll get a license as a backup. That will make 4 in my wallet(MA, NH, ME, PA).[rolleyes]

Ironically, two of those are constitutional carry now lol....
They are, but it's apparently not that simple.

Despite having Constitutional Carry, Maine won't let you carry a handgun in Acadia, their state parks or (in the woods I assume) during archery season without a license in your pocket. Also, and even more weird, unless you have a license you have a "duty to inform" a PO during a routine stop. Note that a license from another state works in ME IF that state has reciprocity with ME, which MA doesn't.

Then there's NH's Fish & Game law that requires a license to carry a loaded weapon on a snowmobile or ATV.

I live in northeast MA and go to NH and ME often. I also have a crappy memory for minutia and trivia so I'm maintaining my NH and ME out of state licenses.

Back
Top Bottom