Pennsylvania non resident license

I brought in a single page with copies of my LTC and driver's license, fronts and backs. They took the copy without questions.

Either a different policy now, or a different interpretation by the Sheriff's deputy on duty (female/dark hair/40ish) but that is what was stated. (they have to make the copy and it costs $1)

If Lackawanna ever becomes a problem, try Jefferson. It's a long, long haul to central PA, but the Sheriff there is super pro-2A. Being Jefferson County is basically a giant swath of farmland literally in the middle of nowhere, that's not likely to change for awhile.

Centre County's Sheriff Denny Nye is a pretty good guy. Walk in with your resident LTC, pay your fee, get your photo taken, they run the background check and you're out of there with your non-resident PA CHL. Venango County (Franklin, PA) works the same way, although it's quite the hike for anyone traveling from NE. If you're up for a road trip, traveling West, or want to do some hunting in PA, this is a nice place to visit.

Centre County's Sheriff Denny Nye is a pretty good guy. Walk in with your resident LTC, pay your fee, get your photo taken, they run the background check and you're out of there with your non-resident PA CHL. Venango County (Franklin, PA) works the same way, although it's quite the hike for anyone traveling from NE. If you're up for a road trip, traveling West, or want to do some hunting in PA, this is a nice place to visit.

Denny retired a year ago

I've called several county sheriffs and they said you're covered under Nh non resident. They said as long as you have a license from a state that has any type of reciprocity you're clear.

Don't know if I'd hang my hat on it but they said not to bother getting a non res. Can't remember the county off the top of my head.

Yes, it was!

I was at the Lackawanna County Sheriff's office yesterday, had to wait for one fellow in front of my but if you timed it from the moment I was called to the desk then the whole process took 10 minutes.

A couple notes, if you find an application online do not bother with it, they will only accept the ones they have for you in the office. Further do not bother making a photo-copy of your resident firearms license, she told the guy in front of me that they have to physically make the copy, and it cost you $1.

When the Sheriff's deputy was handing me my license she said "When it comes time for renewal return to our office, because some other counties are not issuing non-resident permits, but we do not have a problem with that here, and as long as we are still allowed to do it we will renew yours."

I told her I was aware of the other counties not abiding by the law, and asked her to please tell the sheriff thank you from me. She said she would and added, "I do not know how these other counties are getting away with not honoring the law."

My main reason for getting one being that I wonder how long till the PA AG stops honoring NH NR permits now that the NH state police are not requiring proof of a resident firearms license.

Road trip within 2 weeks

The new sheriff continues to handle renewals the same way Denny Nye did, went out there Thursday before Easter 2016, 20 minute process, told me thanks for coming, safe travels home and Happy Easter. It was a pleasure being treated like a law abiding citizen, instead of a subject.

Excellent, but Lackawanna is an hour closer

Excellent, but Lackawanna is an hour closer

It all depends on what you're doing and who you know. I personally plan to stop in Jefferson county on my way out to see my family in Pittsburgh. That's an hour even further than Centre, but it's directly along my route home.

Just to update, I finally went and got mine from Jefferson county. Literally 16 minutes from when I got out of my car at the courthouse to when I got back in. Would have been shorter had I filled out the form ahead of time. The nice ladies at the Sheriff's office even apologized for how long it was taking Harrisburg to come back with the license number.

anyone pick one up recently? heading down south to visit my sister and im taking the truckers route to Scranton, then heading south.

anyone pick one up recently? heading down south to visit my sister and im taking the truckers route to Scranton, then heading south.

Just stop at the Sheriff's office and fill out the paperwork. Might take about an hour since Lackawanna is a busy county. Should be fine, though. They'll give it to you no problem provided you can pass a NICS check. Have a photocopy of your Mass LTC just in case, but I think they'll make their own.

Check on line to make sure Lackawanna or whichever county you decide to apply in will issue to non county residents. Check to see what hours and locations they have. Some counties have multiple locations where you can apply. If you can, fill out the application before hand. Some counties provide a fillable PDF, some don't. I made copies of my LTC and DL. Bring cash as they may not take a check or may delay things

FYI, stopped in Scranton at the Lackawanna Sheriffs Office. In & out in 20 minutes... WHILE WAITING IN LINE!!! Met the county sheriff, nice guy. The officer issuing the licenses informed me they recently lowered the price to $20, and she was shocked when I told her how much and how long it took to get a MA license. She thanked me for following the laws and getting licensed instead of just carrying, and then wished me a safe drive through to NC. Pleasant experience all around.

Same hour.

Yup, it literally takes exactly the same length of time as buying a firearm. They do a check through PICS, which is the PA interface to NICS, and if it comes up clean Harrisburg issues a license # and they print up the license and hand it to you on the spot.

Mine took literally 15 minutes from the time I walked in the door to the time I got back in my car with the license in my wallet. And it only took that long because I filled out the forms there instead of having them filled out ahead of time. The deputy who took my paperwork was actually surprised that PA wouldn't recognize my MA license.

PA does it right, just make sure you stop at a county that issues non-resident permits. They won't all issue them, since it's up to the county to decide, but many will and they're easy to find.

Last edited:
Not sure, they are listed as unknown here: http://www.pafoa.org/counties/

I would recommend that you call the Sheriff's office and ask.

*EDIT*

Shit, mybad. It looks like Bucks will only issue to residents of a state with reciprocity agreements with PA. Sorry. Try Lackawanna, most here get theirs from there.

http://www.buckscounty.org/government/RowOfficers/Sheriff/WeaponsPermit
Great links! Reps for posting them.

So, MA isn't the only state where your 2A rights depend on your house's address. I'm surprised PA is this way[sad2].

I'm headed down that way next month... looks like I'll have to plan a little time for a stop on the way.

Berks County is also very good. Daupin and Northhampton also won't issue to non county residents. Luzerne County (Wilkes-Barre) will accept non county resident applications. Most counties require you to apply in person and pick up the license in person as well.

Guys, do not waste your time trying Pike, Bucks or Monroe. Lackawanna FTW.

Back
Top Bottom