Pennsylvania non resident license

Mine's out of Centre County, Sheriff Denny Nau (who's retiring next month.)
I renew next year, I'll go down for a long weekend, work it around a Spartan race, which the wife will compete in.

This is important for many of us because PA no longer recognizes FL non-resident carry permits.

It used to be that with a FL permit, you could carry in PA, this is no longer true.

Can the process be done by mail?

This is important for many of us because PA no longer recognizes FL non-resident carry permits.

It used to be that with a FL permit, you could carry in PA, this is no longer true.

Can the process be done by mail?

I don't think PA services licenses by mail anymore... which is retarded, but the upshot is apparently in PA you can walk into a sheriffs office and walk out with a license in not much time.

-Mike

I don't think PA services licenses by mail anymore... which is retarded, but the upshot is apparently in PA you can walk into a sheriffs office and walk out with a license in not much time.

-Mike

this.

License to Carry Firearms
Licenses to carry firearms applications via mail has been discontinued as of March 31, 2011.

As the result of requirements of Act 66, 2005, applicants must have their photo and signature captured electronically into our system. At this time there is no manner to complete these requirements without the personal appearance of the applicant.

Therefore we will not be able to process any mailed applications received after March 31, 2011.

I renewed my PA non-resident last year at the Centre County sheriff's office.
- I had to do it in person for the reasons Palladin noted
- Had to resubmit application which had more questions including contact info for references. My Mass LTC renewal had this too.
- Due to those reasons and a new plastic photo license, the license is considered a "new" and not a "renewaL"
- Mine was mailed to me a week later as there was some glitch down there
- Good for 5 years

Yeah, PA reciprocity is best described as "****y," so if you're relying on it, it behooves you to double check the law.

-Mike

Unless PA / NH amended their agreements (and last year there was a bill to do so), It only applied to Residents of NH and PA, not Permit Holders. The Bill is referenced in this thread, so you can go back and check to see if it was passed.

Not true. The agreement states "The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid New Hampshire permits to carry concealed firearms by valid permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania". NH only allows resident permits, but PA allows residents and non-resident permits, and calls to the PA state police and the AG have verified this. Before Kane took office, there was even a page on the PA AG website that made this clear, but that's gone now.

If you go to PA often, you might as well get the non-res. You'll have it in hand in 15 minutes.

Having an actual PA license (in the case you need to present it) has a higher status than your NH license.

Legally it is equal but for extra couple bucks would garner more respect from a LEO in my opinion.

You would be treated more like a Pennsylvanian than some riff raff from NH who is passing through the state.

IMHO.

If you go to PA often, you might as well get the non-res. You'll have it in hand in 15 minutes.

Having an actual PA license (in the case you need to present it) has a higher status than your NH license.

Legally it is equal but for extra couple bucks would garner more respect from a LEO in my opinion.

You would be treated more like a Pennsylvanian than some riff raff from NH who is passing through the state.

IMHO.

[laugh2]

No it doesn't. I'm from PA. It doesn't make a difference at all. More respect? That's funny.

Bucks county is a no-go

I found out the hard way that Bucks county has restrictions and will not issue NR permits to MA residents.

I've got in-laws in PA so I thought it'd be handy to have the permit. I used to have a PA NR issued by Centre county back when they did them by mail. It expired and I hadn't tried to renew/reapply because we're usually not in PA during office hours - typically for the weekend or a holiday. This year we came down for Thanksgiving a few days early so I thought I'd give it a try. Bucks county, where my in-laws live, says it issues NR on its website. I'd read on the PA gun owners website that they issued NR permits recently so I thought I was good to go.

I went to apply today and was told they will not grant an NR permit unless your residence state allows PA residents to get an NR permit. The woman behind the counter said this is a recent change in policy. They say MA is on their 'bad state' list. Is that true? I thought you could get an NR permit in MA.

I wish they had put this information on their website. It would have saved me an hour+ round trip from my in-laws.

When Bucks county rejected me I called Montgomery, the next county over. They said they would issue, but I'd have to come back in 45 days to pick it up in person. That's not logistically feasible, as I don't go visit the in-laws that often. I returned home empty-handed and more than a little frustrated.

Last edited:
I know it's not super convenient but if you can get to Erie County they will issue you a PA CCW on the spot. It's 22 bucks and you're out the door with your license laminated in 20 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in PA once a year. I take a road trip down there. Even if I avoid CT. I still at some point have to go through NY state which I heard is impossible to get a non resident concealed permit in NY. I have my NH NR.

NY doesn't issue them at all. There used to be a few judges who would, but IIRC, they were told to stop.

NY doesn't issue them at all. There used to be a few judges who would, but IIRC, they were told to stop.

Yup, I had one issued mail-order by judge Willard Cass (now ret.) of Chautauqua County. Too bad about their policy of adding an expiration date to non-resident licenses.

I found out the hard way that Bucks county has restrictions and will not issue NR permits to MA residents.

I've got in-laws in PA so I thought it'd be handy to have the permit. I used to have a PA NR issued by Centre county back when they did them by mail. It expired and I hadn't tried to renew/reapply because we're usually not in PA during office hours - typically for the weekend or a holiday. This year we came down for Thanksgiving a few days early so I thought I'd give it a try. Bucks county, where my in-laws live, says it issues NR on its website. I'd read on the PA gun owners website that they issued NR permits recently so I thought I was good to go.

I went to apply today and was told they will not grant an NR permit unless your residence state allows PA residents to get an NR permit. The woman behind the counter said this is a recent change in policy. They say MA is on their 'bad state' list. Is that true? I thought you could get an NR permit in MA.

I wish they had put this information on their website. It would have saved me an hour+ round trip from my in-laws.

When Bucks county rejected me I called Montgomery, the next county over. They said they would issue, but I'd have to come back in 45 days to pick it up in person. That's not logistically feasible, as I don't go visit the in-laws that often. I returned home empty-handed and more than a little frustrated.

Its pointless, since its easier to get a non-res that they recognize.

Centre County Sheriff Nau's answers to my email questions. I sent the email around 1am his reply came at 8:36am.

you can come in any time prior to the expiration. You will just lose some time on your current license as the new license will be in effect the day we issue.

Here is some useful information to assist you.

The law now makes it mandatory for all applicants, both new and renewal to appear at the Office of Sheriff for processing. Pennsylvania Sheriffs can no longer process the license via mail.

Everyone must make a personal appearance at the Sheriff’s Office for processing.

Our hours for processing License to Carry are Monday thru Friday 8am – 4:30 pm. We are closed weekends and major holidays. We are located at 213 E. High St., Bellefonte, Pa. 16823.
Office is located to the rear of the Courthouse in downtown Bellefonte in the “old Jail” at the top of the Hill. (814 355-6803)

No appointments are made as the process takes about 15 – 20 minutes and rarely more than a couple of people at a time are here for their license.

You will need your License to Carry from your home State as well as Driver’s License. The name, address, and phone number of three references and of course the $20.00 fee for the five year license. (Check, cash, or money order, No credit cards) The application is a one page document that takes about five minutes to complete at our Office. If all goes well with the Criminal History check you should depart with the license within 15 – 20 minutes.

Have a safe trip.

Happy Trails ……. Denny

You can get a NR LTC in MA but it'll be restricted. MASP used to issue unrestricted LTC to nonresidents, but, as I understand it, that policy has changed in recent years.

If this is true, then it really screws residents of states adjacent to PA, because they're either non-issue (NJ, MD, NY) or they don't issue nonresident permits at all (OH, WV, DE). Just too bad if, say, you live in northern Delaware and shop or dine out or have friends in southeastern PA and Philly; or if you live in OH or WV and commute to work in Pittsburgh.

I think you're right. I believe a PA resident could get a NR permit in MA, so I don't see their issue with giving you a PA license unless it's something stupid having to do with "MA restrictions," and my not-at-all-educated guess is that this is a mistake, will get corrected, and their employees will eventually get properly trained.

The PA license is probably good for at least 4-5 years, so why not tell them to hold it for you until you come back next year if that's when you'll be in the area next? Did they say you had to pick it up within a certain period of time? I may have been pissed off in that situation, and maybe not thought of this, but it seems it still would have been worth putting in the license application since you were already there, and they should just hold it for you until you come back.

Its pointless, since its easier to get a non-res that they recognize.

Just get a NH non-res, and you're GTG in PA, right?

Centre County Sheriff Nau's answers to my email questions. I sent the email around 1am his reply came at 8:36am.

you can come in any time prior to the expiration. You will just lose some time on your current license as the new license will be in effect the day we issue.

Here is some useful information to assist you...

<snip>

Have a safe trip.

Happy Trails ……. Denny

Is this the guy who's retiring in about a month? Judging from his email, it might be worth the 12 hour round-trip drive just to get another license and meet this guy. He definitely sounds 2A friendly, and he may be one of the last sheriffs left of that "breed."

You can get a NR LTC in MA but it'll be restricted. MASP used to issue unrestricted LTC to nonresidents, but, as I understand it, that policy has changed in recent years.

If this is true, then it really screws residents of states adjacent to PA, because they're either non-issue (NJ, MD, NY) or they don't issue nonresident permits at all (OH, WV, DE). Just too bad if, say, you live in northern Delaware and shop or dine out or have friends in southeastern PA and Philly; or if you live in OH or WV and commute to work in Pittsburgh.
I have a MA non-resident LTC and it is unrestricted.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Here is some useful information to assist you.

The law now makes it mandatory for all applicants, both new and renewal to appear at the Office of Sheriff for processing. Pennsylvania Sheriffs can no longer process the license via mail.

Everyone must make a personal appearance at the Sheriff’s Office for processing.

Our hours for processing License to Carry are Monday thru Friday 8am – 4:30 pm. We are closed weekends and major holidays. We are located at 213 E. High St., Bellefonte, Pa. 16823.
Office is located to the rear of the Courthouse in downtown Bellefonte in the “old Jail” at the top of the Hill. (814 355-6803)

No appointments are made as the process takes about 15 – 20 minutes and rarely more than a couple of people at a time are here for their license.

You will need your License to Carry from your home State as well as Driver’s License. The name, address, and phone number of three references and of course the $20.00 fee for the five year license. (Check, cash, or money order, No credit cards) The application is a one page document that takes about five minutes to complete at our Office. If all goes well with the Criminal History check you should depart with the license within 15 – 20 minutes.

Have a safe trip.

Happy Trails ……. Denny

Denny is one of the most stand-up guys in LE wrt 2A! I've also corresponded with him when I got mine (just before they ended the mail-order biz) and he couldn't be a nicer guy to deal with. I do wish I had the opportunity to meet him just to say thanks and shake his hand.

Your "understanding" is very wrong!

As is the SD that refuses to issue PA NR to MA residents, and I seriously doubt that anything you could tell them/send them/give them would change their mind. Best bet for that person is find another county that is more friendly.

Not true. The agreement states "The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid New Hampshire permits to carry concealed firearms by valid permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania". NH only allows resident permits, but PA allows residents and non-resident permits, and calls to the PA state police and the AG have verified this. Before Kane took office, there was even a page on the PA AG website that made this clear, but that's gone now.

While that quote from the body of the agreement is correct, it is prefaced by the following...

WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of the State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/upl...l/FirearmsReciprocity/Signed_NH_Agreement.pdf

Mostly street parking around Courthouse as it does a steady business so finding an open space can be challenging. Sheriff Office is separate building behind and up from Courthouse. Bring quarters for parking meters.

Cafe on the Park for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom