Pennsylvania non resident license

Is this something I can apply for over the phone and via the mail? This will be the first time I try to possess a non-resident license. I am plan on visiting my uncle down there in August and would like to bring something for the ride. If I do not get my non-resident am I still able to bring a firearm with me and store it has his house while I am there? I have done some searching and I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly I can and cannot do.

Edit: I have found that I do need to drop off papers in person

Last edited:
Is this something I can apply for over the phone and via the mail? This will be the first time I try to possess a non-resident license. I am plan on visiting my uncle down there in August and would like to bring something for the ride. If I do not get my non-resident am I still able to bring a firearm with me and store it has his house while I am there? I have done some searching and I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly I can and cannot do.

Edit: I have found that I do need to drop off papers in person

In PA (as in most states) you don't need a license to possess. You just need the license to carry. In fact, you don't need a license to open carry (outside of a vehicle) as long as you aren't in Philadelphia (a city of the first class). The only thing to worry about going from MA to PA with a gun is taking it through NY and NJ. Keep your ammo and your guns in separate locked cases and don't speed while in NY or NJ... they don't take FOPA very seriously there.

Edit: I have a lot of family down there with CCW - I have never seen anyone open carry though.

I had gotten a Centre County license five years ago when family moved to the Scranton area. Just renewed in Lackawanna County with no issues. I called the Sheriffs office in Scranton a few weeks ago and was told they issue non-resident licenses and there was no residency requirements for references. Walked in around 9:15 and was back to my car at 10 with my renewal.

The Sheriff's office is on the first floor of the County courthouse so you'll go thru metal detectors. The window that handles gun licenses is on the far left and there are clipboards with applications in a rack. Filled out the application, she asked for my Mass. LTC and drivers license. The fee is $20, cash or credit card only.

I parked on the street and fed a meter. The nearby Steamtown Mall that has free parking. There is a walkway from the mall that goes over the rail yard to the Steamtown National Historic Site if someone wants to make a family day trip out it.

I had gotten a Centre County license five years ago when family moved to the Scranton area. Just renewed in Lackawanna County with no issues. I called the Sheriffs office in Scranton a few weeks ago and was told they issue non-resident licenses and there was no residency requirements for references. Walked in around 9:15 and was back to my car at 10 with my renewal.

The Sheriff's office is on the first floor of the County courthouse so you'll go thru metal detectors. The window that handles gun licenses is on the far left and there are clipboards with applications in a rack. Filled out the application, she asked for my Mass. LTC and drivers license. The fee is $20, cash or credit card only.

I parked on the street and fed a meter. The nearby Steamtown Mall that has free parking. There is a walkway from the mall that goes over the rail yard to the Steamtown National Historic Site if someone wants to make a family day trip out it.

Do you have restrictions on your MA LTC?

Many years ago when I lived in Jersey, I'd go to central PA deer hunting using a pistol. All I had to do was go to a county seat show my PA non-resident hunting license and give them $0.50. The permit was issued immediately and good for that hunting season. I had to open carry but it was cool to hunt deer with a pistol. Yes, I did get one with the .357 mag.
-mike

It probably means nothing since all bills go to the committee responsible for that area of state law. In MA assignment from any committee to a "Study Committee" is the death knell for that bill for that term. It's like that in PA the Judiciary Committee will have hearings and then report out the bill. After that, who knows?

That bill has been referred to the Judiciary Committee http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billInfo/billInfo.cfm?sYear=2013&sInd=0&body=H&type=B&bn=2398

Not sure what that means in the likelihood this will pass.

Avoid New Jersey completely and stay upstate in New York. Don't go near NYC or Long Island. I think that upstate hates NYC as much as we do.

In PA (as in most states) you don't need a license to possess. You just need the license to carry. In fact, you don't need a license to open carry (outside of a vehicle) as long as you aren't in Philadelphia (a city of the first class). The only thing to worry about going from MA to PA with a gun is taking it through NY and NJ. Keep your ammo and your guns in separate locked cases and don't speed while in NY or NJ... they don't take FOPA very seriously there.

Edit: I have a lot of family down there with CCW - I have never seen anyone open carry though.

NJ recognizes the standard interpretation of FOPA. The state police even have a page up about it (http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html) and NJ law itself has travel-through provisions. Don't confuse the state police with the Port Authority, which is where all the bad cases came from, and those were related to staying overnight (admittedly not by choice, which is why those are such calls to, ahem, arms).

I worry way more about NY State with the **** over the SAFE ACT and their regular disregard for FOPA.

Avoid New Jersey completely and stay upstate in New York. Don't go near NYC or Long Island. I think that upstate hates NYC as much as we do.

Also, unless you NEED to go there, I would stay the **** out of Philadelphia, too. If you ever had to use your gun there it will be 10 times worse than it would be anywhere else in the state. Philly has anti gun bureocrats up the wazoo, that would make even their counterparts in MA blush.

-Mike

I haven't had a reason to go to Philadelphia for several years and don't expect to go there again in the foreseeable future. My last trip through PA took me out via Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and then through MD and south. One of these days I'm going to drive south and not come back.

Also, unless you NEED to go there, I would stay the **** out of Philadelphia, too. If you ever had to use your gun there it will be 10 times worse than it would be anywhere else in the state. Philly has anti gun bureocrats up the wazoo, that would make even their counterparts in MA blush.

-Mike

I'm trying to find a way to CC carry in PA without having to make a trip to PA. for a Non Resident Permit.

According to the USA Carry "Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps" a Texas Non Resident Permit is honored in PA. Is this true?

I know nothing about getting a Texas Non Resident Permit.

If it is...Wouldn't it be a easier way to go than traveling to PA. & finding just the right venue?

Are there any other non resident states' permits that have reciprocity w/ PA that don't make it too hard to obtain their permit?

I'm trying to find a way to CC carry in PA without having to make a trip to PA. for a Non Resident Permit.

According to the USA Carry "Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps" a Texas Non Resident Permit is honored in PA. Is this true?

If it is...Wouldn't it be a easier way to go than traveling to PA. & finding just the right venue?

Are there any other non resident states' permits that have reciprocity w/ PA that don't make it too hard to obtain their permit?

If you have a home state permit, just get a non-res NH. Last I checked, PA is still honoring NH res AND non-resident. Reason is PA has only been eliminating honoring non-resident permits that can be had without a home state permit...i.e. UT and FL.

Currently, you can't get a NH unless you have a permit from your home state (or letter from your police chief if you're from Vermont).

Check handgunlaw.us

They tend to stay very current with which permits are honored where.

ETA. Here the link you want: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Last edited:
I have mine from Centre County PA Sheriff Denny Nau who answered my email (or had someone answer my email under his name) promptly, professionally, and courteously. It was a pleasure dealing with his office, and I look forward to the road trip in 2016 to renew.

If you have a home state permit, just get a non-res NH. Last I checked, PA is still honoring NH res AND non-resident. Reason is PA has only been eliminating honoring non-resident permits that can be had without a home state permit...i.e. UT and FL.

Currently, you can't get a NH unless you have a permit from your home state (or letter from your police chief if you're from Vermont).

Check handgunlaw.us

They tend to stay very current with which permits are honored where.

ETA. Here the link you want: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

If you read the posts on page 3 of this thread, you'll see that PA currently only honors resident permits from NH and Utah. The specific reciprocity agreements are provided and it specifically says residents.

I think that is a great idea. Handgun law has a list of states that offer reciprocity AND lists the states that have reciprocity BUT NOT FOR NON RES. With that large list I am sure you can find some states that let you do it by mail. I think you best bet is just getting a NH non-res that would allow you to carry in PA.

If you read the posts on page 3 of this thread, you'll see that PA currently only honors resident permits from NH and Utah. The specific reciprocity agreements are provided and it specifically says residents.

IANAL, but based on what I've seen/researched I am comfortable carrying in PA on a NH non-res. I would not carry in PA on a FL or UT non-res.

ETA: I don't see anything on page 3 contrary to what I said in my earlier post this evening (or on my old post on page 3)

Last edited:
IANAL, but based on what I've seen/researched I am comfortable carrying in PA on a NH non-res. I would not carry in PA on a FL or UT non-res.

ETA: I don't see anything on page 3 contrary to what I said in my earlier post this evening (or on my old post on page 3)

Thanks for the tip. Absolutely correct. I emailed the Utah DPS Firearms Unit about this to see if something can be done.

Here's another interesting document. Read the 2nd paragraph of the Pennsylvania/New Hampshire agreement http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Crime/Signed NH Agreement.pdf

Read the second paragraph that starts with WHEREAS

"citizens of the State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania"

Is a Mass resident a citizen of the State of New Hampshire? No? Oh, then you aren't covered.

Read the second paragraph that starts with WHEREAS

"citizens of the State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania"

Is a Mass resident a citizen of the State of New Hampshire? No? Oh, then you aren't covered.

Read #1:

The Commonwealth of PA will recognize valid NH permits to carry concealed firearms by valid permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of PA.

Perhaps you are technically correct.

WHERAS may take precedence over the rest of the subsections.

According to this site:

http://www.usacarry.com/new_hampshire_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

PA recognizes NH non-re but NH does not recognize PA non-res.

Perhaps you could call the PA AG?

NH is one of those states that only honor RESIDENT permits...period (except their own NH non-res, obviously). There are quite a few like this...FL, MI, and ME come to mind. PA has been ceasing to honor non-res permits that can be obtained WITHOUT a home state (resident) permit. As some mentioned earlier in this thread, that started when Philadelphia residents were working around the headache of getting a PA permit in Philly by getting a FL permit, and carrying on that. So PA stopped that by no longer honoring FL unless you are a FL resident. They did the same thing with UT. Both UT and FL do not require a home state permit. NH does, which is why I believe they will continue to honor the NH non-res. You'll also notice the PA AG hasn't posted a "Notice" on their reciprocity page like she did with FL and UT.

I went in for mine today (Butler PA) It was 5 minutes past closing time when I got there. One woman told me the computer had been turned off. Another woman behind the counter heard me say that I would come back on my next trip. She said she would log back in the system and quickly put in the info. 12 minutes from walking in and walking out. They said it should be in the mail in 3-5 days.

I stopped in at the Pottsville Sherriff's office and they said they were only issuing permits to PA residents, or you had to own a parcel of land in PA... maybe try a different county[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom