Pennsylvania non resident license

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Inspired by an earlier thread about ammo availability in PA, I decided to apply for the PA concealed non resident permit while there on business this week.

Walked into the sherrif's office at 11:30. Fill out the paperwork on the spot. Pay $20 fee in cash. Walk out with my permit in hand at 12:25!!!

Unreal!!

Last edited:
How long is it good for and how much did it cost? I have family down there so I'm often down there but I was just planning on getting a NH NR since it lets you carry in PA too.

Inspired by an earlier thread about ammo availability in PA, I decided to apply for the PA concealed non resident permit while there on business this week.

Walked into the sherrif's office at 11:30. Fill out the paperwork on the spot. Pay $20 fee in cash. Walk out with my permit in hand at 12:25!!!

Unreal!!

Which county? From what I understand it varies quite a bit between sheriff departments

Got mine on the other side of the state in Armstrong county. I'm from western PA and still have friends there and spend time.
Took about 45 minutes to walk out with it in hand, and the Sheriff apologized it took so long, complaining that "Harrisburg asked to many questions"

Mine was issued in 4 days from Mailbox to Mailbox and that was over a weekend! Sadly it will require a trip to renew and thus I'll just let it expire at that time.

FYI, a FL non-resident license will cover PA and a heckuva lot more. You have to wait a bit longer, but it's well worth it.

EDIT: actually, it looks like PA covers quite a few states! FL adds a handful to that.

My son goes to school in Philly and is a damn good trap shooter. He just got an off campus apartment and was wondering what he needs to do to legally possess a shotgun. I think PA is a normal state requiring nothing for long gun ownership, any guidance especially pointing to PA laws would be appreciated.

He is 21 does he stand a chance of a non res handgun license? Are they unrestricted.

I'm sorry, I'm a subject living in the commie-wealth of MA

Well, in PA, the big cities (cities of the 1st degreee) or something like that, i think the license is through the PD. Of course Philly being a libtard sh1thole like most ghetto centric cities, is probably not as easy to obtain. Since it matters not what county you apply for non-res, I would have him apply as a non-res outside of the Philly county area, assuming he has kept his MA residence.

Basic transport and possession is permitted in PA, so long guns and even handguns transported in a locked case or trunk he should be fine. I would google it up anyway to be safe as a non-res, unless he gets the permit.
Considering so easy, best to just get the permit.

Thanks for posting this info. Many counties in PA will not process non-resident permits, so it's good to know for sure about those that do. Sounds like a good experience, quite unlike anything to be found here in Southern New England.

My son goes to school in Philly and is a damn good trap shooter. He just got an off campus apartment and was wondering what he needs to do to legally possess a shotgun. I think PA is a normal state requiring nothing for long gun ownership, any guidance especially pointing to PA laws would be appreciated.

He is 21 does he stand a chance of a non res handgun license? Are they unrestricted.

I'm sorry, I'm a subject living in the commie-wealth of MA
He won't need any permit for the long gun. Just check out the transport laws in PA. For the non-resident permit, he would need a resident LTC from MA (or resident permit from any other state that issues concealed carry permits). Actually very few counties issue non-resident permits, so he may have to search around a little bit to find one. The OP had success in Berks County, so there's that.

Mine was issued in 4 days from Mailbox to Mailbox and that was over a weekend! Sadly it will require a trip to renew and thus I'll just let it expire at that time.

If you have an NH nonres you won't need to renew it anyways.... PA resolved the "Reciprocity dispute" of nonres licenses.

ETA: Links added for those who care...

http://www.pgnh.org/pennsylvania_clarifies_reciprocity_for_nh_non_resident_licensees

See also:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

for generic PA reciprocity info

-Mike

Last edited:
If you have an NH nonres you won't need to renew it anyways.... PA resolved the "Reciprocity dispute" of nonres licenses.

ETA: Links added for those who care...

http://www.pgnh.org/pennsylvania_clarifies_reciprocity_for_nh_non_resident_licensees

See also:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

for generic PA reciprocity info

-Mike

Mike,

I believe that non-res Florida and non-res Utah CCW's are NOT valid in PA.
Philly had a big problem with Florida non-res which have been nixed for a number of years.
Utah non-res has also lost reciprocity - supposedly they are working on that to return it compliance.
Also, the non-res NH CCW is not valid either. See link at bottom.

I will call Harrisburg SP admin in the morning.

The PGNH link is very old. It even references Mr. Gary Slider.

No way to get a non-res CCW from any other state to be legal in PA.

You must appear at a Sheriffs office that give out CCW's. Not all of them do for non-res.

I have deferred to this link that has been updated on June 12th 2014...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/USStatesThatHonorMyPermit.pdf

--------

EDIT:

I was in error.

It appears that Mike is correct (as usual).

I REALLY hope I can use a NH non-res in PA.

I'll call tomorrow.

PA though is trying to limit use on non-res. Looks like NH is ok as of right now.

Will Confirm later...

Last edited:
Don't bother with Carbon county. I attempted to get one there while visiting my parents over Christmas, and he outright refused to give me one. He claimed "it was the law", I told him, "no, its not". He said something about "that's what our judge wants us to do, or what I decide".. something like that.. basically an anti with the authority to tell you to get lost.

Mike,

I believe that non-res Florida and non-res Utah CCW's are NOT valid in PA.
Philly had a big problem with Florida non-res which have been nixed for a number of years.
Utah non-res has also lost reciprocity - supposedly they are working on that to return it compliance.
Also, the non-res NH CCW is not valid either. See link at bottom.

I will call Harrisburg SP admin in the morning.

The PGNH link is very old. It even references Mr. Gary Slider.

No way to get a non-res CCW from any other state to be legal in PA.

You must appear at a Sheriffs office that give out CCW's. Not all of them do for non-res.

I have deferred to this link that has been updated on June 12th 2014...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/USStatesThatHonorMyPermit.pdf

--------

EDIT:

I was in error.

It appears that Mike is correct (as usual).

I REALLY hope I can use a NH non-res in PA.

I'll call tomorrow.

PA though is trying to limit use on non-res. Looks like NH is ok as of right now.

Will Confirm later...
They are trying to limit non resident permits used by PA residents.

Don't bother with Carbon county. I attempted to get one there while visiting my parents over Christmas, and he outright refused to give me one. He claimed "it was the law", I told him, "no, its not". He said something about "that's what our judge wants us to do, or what I decide".. something like that.. basically an anti with the authority to tell you to get lost.

Pike County will not issue licenses to non residents either. I think Wayne County still does though.

PA is still honoring NH non-res. Reason they won't honor UT and FL is since neither state requires a home state permit. NH does.

PA is basically trying to make sure PA residents don't carry on out-of-state permits.

PA is still honoring NH non-res. Reason they won't honor UT and FL is since neither state requires a home state permit. NH does.

PA is basically trying to make sure PA residents don't carry on out-of-state permits.
And more specifically, it was Philadelphia that was complaining about this, since they restrict issuance of permits. The rest of the state it's easy for residents to get a permit, and carrying on out of state non-resident permits was not a problem.

Unreal!!

WOW thats like [party]

Mine was no problem in Armstrong County, just northeast of Pittsburgh. last November. The Sheriff is in the county couthouse building in Kittanning.

Likely, dont bother in Allegheny County where Pittsburgh is located, I think they are more anti, and in Pgh. would have to apply with the PD.

Centre County is real good wrt NR licenses. Sheriff Denny Nau even sent me a personal Email response to a question on a weekend day. He'd be able to walk in and walk out with it, it's really that simple and it was like $23 IIRC.

http://centrecountypa.gov/index.aspx?NID=405

Danny Nau was very cordial when I renewed mine there. It was just after the Sandusky trial so things were still shaking there. It only took 20 minutes to renew and it was over a 4 day vacation (Thurs-Sun).

Back
Top Bottom