• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pennsylvania non resident license

And more specifically, it was Philadelphia that was complaining about this, since they restrict issuance of permits. The rest of the state it's easy for residents to get a permit, and carrying on out of state non-resident permits was not a problem.

It should be noted that Philadumpia is sort of its own special ballgame. If you ever have to use your gun to defend yourself there, expect a world of shit equivalent to doing the same in MA. The Philadumpia "prosecutorial tenor" is 110% anti gun, anti self defense. This posture is unbelievably bad compared to ANYWHERE else in PA. A few years ago on Sigforum we had a member who was an attorney who had a near-draw incident on a bum who tried to rob him at knifepoint. (To add insult to injury, said bum had a CRIMINAL RECORD of violent conduct!) The bum was scared off but called the cops on the guy which started a chain of events that nearly ruined his life. He got acquitted of any wrongdoing but went through hell in the process.

Proceed with extreme caution in Philadumpia, if you visit there.

-Mike

Last edited:
Here is a good list of counties that will issue non-resident licenses:

http://www.pafoa.org/counties?county_issuesNonResidentLTCFs=1&county_sheriffNfaFriendly=1

County

NR PermitsNFA Friendly
Listing 25 Counties
AdamsYesYes
BerksYesYes
CentreYesYes
ClarionYesYes
ClearfieldYesYes
CumberlandYesYes
DauphinYesYes
DelawareYesYes
ErieYesYes
ForestYesYes
FranklinYesYes
JeffersonYesYes
LancasterYesYes
LebanonYesYes
McKeanYesYes
MifflinYesYes
MonroeYesYes
NorthamptonYesYes
NorthumberlandYesYes
PerryYesYes
PikeYesYes
SomersetYesYes
WarrenYesYes
WestmorelandYesYes
YorkYesYes

You can scratch Pike County of that list. There is a poster in the Sheriff's office saying that they will not issue non-res ltcs anymore.

Here is a good list of counties that will issue non-resident licenses:

http://www.pafoa.org/counties?county_issuesNonResidentLTCFs=1&county_sheriffNfaFriendly=1

County

NR PermitsNFA Friendly
Listing 25 Counties
AdamsYesYes
BerksYesYes
CentreYesYes
ClarionYesYes
ClearfieldYesYes
CumberlandYesYes
DauphinYesYes
DelawareYesYes
ErieYesYes
ForestYesYes
FranklinYesYes
JeffersonYesYes
LancasterYesYes
LebanonYesYes
McKeanYesYes
MifflinYesYes
MonroeYesYes
NorthamptonYesYes
NorthumberlandYesYes
PerryYesYes
PikeYesYes
SomersetYesYes
WarrenYesYes
WestmorelandYesYes
YorkYesYes

Interesting, Pike County is listed as yes, but there's a document on their site that says No.

FYI, a FL non-resident license will cover PA and a heckuva lot more. You have to wait a bit longer, but it's well worth it.

EDIT: actually, it looks like PA covers quite a few states! FL adds a handful to that.

PA honors resident FL licenses, but not non-resident FL licenses. The cause is the FL policy of accepting only resident licenses issued by the states that they honor, so PA placed that restriction in their reciprocity agreement.

I have time I have to burn at work, going to grab some documentation and make a day trip to PA and back. It's only gas and the application fee.

It looks like Luzerne county is the closest one to Mass that will do it and doesn't require local references. I'll report back.

Last edited:
I have time I have to burn at work, going to grab some documentation and make a day trip to PA and back. It's only gas and the application fee.

It looks like Luzerne county is the closest one to Mass that will do it and doesn't require local references. I'll report back.

Food for thought, will a PA license gain anyone additional reciprocity? For me it is sorta stupid to do it because I'm NH licensed, but if it gets a few more states and I can walk in and out and get one for short money I might do it when I go down there to visit a friend of mine in August or September.

ETA: Looks like I answered my own question... according to handgunlaw.us...

PA Non Resident Permit/License is Valid in: AK, AL, AR, AZ, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MO,
MS, MT, NC, ND, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WI, WV, WY

Given that, it's definitely worth it.

-Mike

Last edited:
If you have a Utah and MA, it doesn't look like it adds much beyond PA.

If you have a FL and MA, it adds Wisconsin.

It's also worth noting that from the form I saw, the application is pretty minimal. If you walk in there with your DL, MA LTC, etc, most people won't have a problem getting one.

-Mike

It's also worth noting that from the form I saw, the application is pretty minimal. If you walk in there with your DL, MA LTC, etc, most people won't have a problem getting one.

-Mike

Yeah, I plan on bringing extra documentation just in case. My latest training certs, passport, and birth certificate. I'd hate to drive five hours to have forgotten something stupid.

Interesting, Pike County is listed as yes, but there's a document on their site that says No.

There are a few more errors. I think the document on PAFOA is not updated. Many more counties have jumped on the anti-gun bandwagon in the last year or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I plan on bringing extra documentation just in case. My latest training certs, passport, and birth certificate. I'd hate to drive five hours to have forgotten something stupid.
If you haven't done so already, you might want to call ahead just to confirm they are still accepting non-resident applications.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to call ahead just to confirm they are still accepting non-resident applications.

This.... Centre county is verified OK, but beyond that, who the hell knows. The others might have their own weirdness about processing apps.

-Mike

OP stated that Berks County was OK just recently too.
Berks county refused to take my application on the basis that my home state license wasn't equal to theirs. You see, im part of the 17% that is restricted in mass.

Its too late to try and get to another county since most close at 430.

Only slightly aggravated. It was a nice drive down and something I havent done recently.

Berks county refused to take my application on the basis that my home state license wasn't equal to theirs. You see, im part of the 17% that is restricted in mass.

Its too late to try and get to another county since most close at 430.

Only slightly aggravated. It was a nice drive down and something I havent done recently.

That sucks. I'm in the same boat with regards to a restricted LTC, was planning on trying an application to York County. I might just do the NH NR and forget about PA though...

Food for thought, will a PA license gain anyone additional reciprocity? For me it is sorta stupid to do it because I'm NH licensed, but if it gets a few more states and I can walk in and out and get one for short money I might do it when I go down there to visit a friend of mine in August or September.

ETA: Looks like I answered my own question... according to handgunlaw.us...

Given that, it's definitely worth it.

-Mike

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Having more is better anyway, since they are constantly changing the reciprocity. Even if not, having a states license might make any encounter with their PD easier.

I have MA, NH, FL, & PA. I would like to add UT and the other New England states where possible.

Noxin is correct adding PA only gives you WI in addition to what you get with NH & FL, and the NH gives PA. UT also adds WI plus some others of course.

I'm helping my sister move from Troy NY to greenville NC, and she suggested a stop in Pottsville at the Yuengling Brewery, now i have another reason to stop!

only downside is, i have a Restricted MA (lowell) license, an unrestricted non-res NH license, and an unrestricted non-res Utah as well... wonder what will happen with me[rolleyes]

Well, in PA, the big cities (cities of the 1st degreee) or something like that, i think the license is through the PD. Of course Philly being a libtard sh1thole like most ghetto centric cities, is probably not as easy to obtain. Since it matters not what county you apply for non-res, I would have him apply as a non-res outside of the Philly county area, assuming he has kept his MA residence.

Basic transport and possession is permitted in PA, so long guns and even handguns transported in a locked case or trunk he should be fine. I would google it up anyway to be safe as a non-res, unless he gets the permit.
Considering so easy, best to just get the permit.

The term is ''cities of the first class", and Philadumpia is the only one. It used to be the on ly may-issur jurisdiction in PA, but it's now shall issue as well. Philly paid a small ($6kish each) settlement to a bunch of black duys who were arrested after presenting their valid FL ccw to the officer.

Curiously, rents just outside of Philly are reportedly more expensive than those on the perimeter, since a Philly address subjects one to that city's income tax.

The crack in the liberty bell is indeed symbolic.

I'm helping my sister move from Troy NY to greenville NC, and she suggested a stop in Pottsville at the Yuengling Brewery, now i have another reason to stop!

only downside is, i have a Restricted MA (lowell) license, an unrestricted non-res NH license, and an unrestricted non-res Utah as well... wonder what will happen with me[rolleyes]

Wow you have more freedom from other states VS your home state, proof right there that Mass is screwed up and in complete violation of our rights.

This.... Centre county is verified OK, but beyond that, who the hell knows. The others might have their own weirdness about processing apps.

-Mike

Mine expires in 2016, I'll take the 6hr ride to Centre County with the wife, stop at the Poconos on the way back.

well worth the trip

Back
Top Bottom