Pennsylvania non resident license

Last month I renewed my Pennsylvania non resident license in Centre County, PA. There was a large sign in the sheriff's office warning people not to use HANDGUNLAW.US, USACARRY or other similar websites as reliable sources of information on reciprocity. Rather, it stated the only way to obtain reliable information was from the AG in each state.

Reciprocity rules can be like shifting sands. Therefore, I've decided to maintain all my non-resident licenses just to be safe. Kind of a pain but it seems like cheap insurance to me.

Last month I renewed my Pennsylvania non resident license in Centre County, PA. There was a large sign in the sheriff's office warning people not to use HANDGUNLAW.US, USACARRY or other similar websites as reliable sources of information on reciprocity. Rather, it stated the only way to obtain reliable information was from the AG in each state.

Reciprocity rules can be like shifting sands. Therefore, I've decided to maintain all my non-resident licenses just to be safe. Kind of a pain but it seems like cheap insurance to me.

Smart move on both parts. I ALWAYS advise to use handgunlaw.us ONLY as a springboard to the proper state website with primary info.

Ok. Since Im not a big fan of speculation, I called the PA atty general office.

She said there had been a lot of interest in this question over the last few weeks. She said that it is in legal review now and that she will send me info as she finds out. At this point they are advising people with non resident NH permits to not carry there.

She is going to send me copies of internal discussions on the matter. I will post them here as I get them.

Don

This is so ridiculous! One of the reasons I got a NH non-resident was for the PA reciprocity and I called the AGs office a month ago to double-check that the reciprocity websites (as well as the pennsylvania website which clearly showed them not accepting "non-resident" from a few states, but NH was NOT one of them). They probably saw all the press about people getting the Utah non-resident permit for reciprocity and don't recognize Utah non-resident permits. However, I took the Utah class and it was a lot more work than getting NH non-resident (which required one simple form)! I had to send fingerprints to the FBI, learn about Utah's firearms laws, and undergo the typical background check. Since I was only going to be in PA on a Sunday I didn't know if I'd be able to get the license/permit and figured NH was the way to go.

This is so ridiculous! One of the reasons I got a NH non-resident was for the PA reciprocity and I called the AGs office a month ago to double-check that the reciprocity websites (as well as the pennsylvania website which clearly showed them not accepting "non-resident" from a few states, but NH was NOT one of them). They probably saw all the press about people getting the Utah non-resident permit for reciprocity and don't recognize Utah non-resident permits. However, I took the Utah class and it was a lot more work than getting NH non-resident (which required one simple form)! I had to send fingerprints to the FBI, learn about Utah's firearms laws, and undergo the typical background check. Since I was only going to be in PA on a Sunday I didn't know if I'd be able to get the license/permit and figured NH was the way to go.

Should have gone for the AZ license. It is much quicker and easier then the UT license. Just renewed mine and got the new card back in about 3 weeks. Don't know why everyone is so quick to go for the UT license, since for me, it only added 1 additional state (that I most likely will never visit).

This thread has been dormant for a while, but I just checked on line with Berks County. They will no longer issue or renew permits for non county residents. It's likely tied to their going on line with applications as opposed to requiring in person application.

I'm due to renew in February, so I'll have to try to find another county that will issue to non residents.

This thread has been dormant for a while, but I just checked on line with Berks County. They will no longer issue or renew permits for non county residents. It's likely tied to their going on line with applications as opposed to requiring in person application.

I'm due to renew in February, so I'll have to try to find another county that will issue to non residents.
Check Centre County. I renewed there a couple of years ago, very gun friendly.

Road trip anyone ?

I did the pilgrimage in January, similar experience as the OP (six YEARS ago lol). We also went to the Morgantown Classic Auto Mall and had cattle, I mean family style dinner at Good N Plenty Restaurant. Made it home maybe 1am. Long day driving but doable.

PA adds near every eastern Seaboard state that I travel to or through (fopa for NY, NJ of course).

Now that PA issues the SAME license to non resident as residents.

Last edited:
Yes. That requirement was imposed by the state Attorney General and is something over which the Sheriff's have no control.
Thank you. Are you aware of any time restrictions on how early you can apply for renewal?

As of now until further notice they are only processing applications for county residents. I'll keep checking, but actually I think Wyoming County is closer. They want the application mailed in and then they will call you to make an in person appointment.

I got mine in Scranton (Lackawanna County) about 2 years ago. Took about 20 min.

Back
Top Bottom