Pennsylvania No Longer Honors Maine

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_and_Resources/Firearm_Reciprocity_Agreements/

The PA AG has removed Maine from the list of states they had a signed agreement with. Most agreements have a clause that states the state will inform the other state of any change in their laws that could conflict with the agreement. Maine Removed Reciprocity from their law and just honors anyone who honors them. I figure they informed PA of this law change. The PA AG could have made the decision that they would continue to honor Maine as they do it with no agreement with about a dozen other states. She removed Maine from the listing and put Maine in with states that will issue a non resident to PA residents. You can see all that at the link above. PA removed Maine from their listing in the last few hours. The PA AG is very anti gun and has amended other states agreements to only honor their permits issued to residents.

Stay Safe,
Gary Slider
Co-Owner www.handgunlaw.us

They simply moved Maine into the Vermont/Alaska category

Category 5: Carry permitted without license/permit.

Alaska
Maine
Vermont
**Alaska and Vermont allows possession or carrying of a concealed firearm without a license/permit.

A problem also is Maine does not honor all other states permit/licenses like other states who went permitless carry. They will just honor those who honor them. Maine has some quirks in their Permitless Carry Law. The below listed places are off limits to those carrying under permitless carry while if you have a permit they honor you can legally carry in those places.

The following locations are off limits to those carrying under Permitless Carry in Maine. You have to have a Maine permit or a resident permit from a state Maine honors to carry in the below listed areas.
 Acadia National Park (Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
 State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
 Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
 Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm
must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)

A problem also is Maine does not honor all other states permit/licenses like other states who went permitless carry. They will just honor those who honor them. Maine has some quirks in their Permitless Carry Law.

Besides the off-limits places you mention, I thought, with Maine's new carry law, that no one needed a permit of any kind to carry. Including non residents.

Can the State of Maine retain jurisdiction over carry, in a National Park as well?

With Maine still honoring some states and not others it makes a difference if you have a permit/license they honor as Maine law states you have to have a permit/license they honor to carry in their state parks and national parks. Under permitless carry a person can't legally carry in the st/nat parks.

The federal Law on carry in National Parks/Nat Wildlife Areas:

Title 36 Chpt. 1 Part 2 § 2.4 Weapons Traps and Nets.
(h) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion there of, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable federal law.

Chapter 50 Chapter 1 Part 27 § 27.42 Firearms.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, persons may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national wildlife refuge in accordance with the laws of the state in which the wildlife refuge, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable federal law.

The way Handgunlaw.us reads the law if a state would pass a law saying carrying is illegal in a National Park in that state then you can't legally carry in that National Park. They go by the laws of the state the National Park is in.

A problem also is Maine does not honor all other states permit/licenses like other states who went permitless carry. They will just honor those who honor them. Maine has some quirks in their Permitless Carry Law. The below listed places are off limits to those carrying under permitless carry while if you have a permit they honor you can legally carry in those places.

The following locations are off limits to those carrying under Permitless Carry in Maine. You have to have a Maine permit or a resident permit from a state Maine honors to carry in the below listed areas.
 Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm
I'll keep my vacation money where freedom is easily memorized and understood, NH and VT. If i have to carry a firearms atty on my back, it defeats the point of going on vacation.

Last edited:
I'll keep my vacation money where freedom is easily memorized and understood, NH and VT. If i have to carry a firearms atty on my back, it defeats the point of going on vacation.

That takes a firearm attorney to interpret?

Lol you're turning something into drama/rocket science, that isn't.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom