• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pennsylvania legalizes auto knives

JRT

NES Member
My auto knives are finally legal. One of the dumbest laws ever enacted, an auto knife should not be any different than any other knife. Literally a Hollywood impact that made them scary.

My auto knives are finally legal. One of the dumbest laws ever enacted, an auto knife should not be any different than any other knife. Literally a Hollywood impact that made them scary.

I can flick open my Cold Steel Recon 1 lockblade just as fast, with the added advantages of the Recon 1 being legal for carry in all 50 states and much more rugged and durable than cheap switchblades.

I can flick open my Cold Steel Recon 1 lockblade just as fast, with the added advantages of the Recon 1 being legal for carry in all 50 states and much more rugged and durable than cheap switchblades.
Who said I buy cheap auto-knives? I try not to leave the commonwealth if possible, it is heaven on earth.

Who said I buy cheap auto-knives? I try not to leave the commonwealth if possible, it is heaven on earth.
I saw a few high-grade auto knives in Florida. Benchmade. I could buy two shotguns for the price that they were asking for each! No thanks!

I saw a few high-grade auto knives in Florida. Benchmade. I could buy two shotguns for the price that they were asking for each! No thanks!
Benchmade makes beautiful auto knives and I have a few. Microtech makes equally nice knives and are affordable. My point was there are lots of great knives, both assisted and auto open.

Benchmade makes beautiful auto knives and I have a few. Microtech makes equally nice knives and are affordable. My point was there are lots of great knives, both assisted and auto open.
True. I chose the CS Recon 1 to avoid a felony charge that would erase my 2A rights here in MA. Florida folks have rights. Us peons here in MA have privileges that can be revoked at the whim of a police chief

This comment sent me searching for state knife laws, I realized I know a lot about state gun laws and very little about knife laws.

The biggest surprise I found was that auto knives are legal in far more states than I assumed. Probably around 35 states, although some have a blade length restriction. In some places that blade length restriction is as small as 1.5 inches.

Quite a few states have a blade length restriction even on folding knives. It looks like the shortest restriction is 3 inches.

Some states differentiate what’s legal to open carry vs concealed. NC seems to be pretty strict on concealed, some sites saying it’s illegal but the consensus is that a closed blade knife carried in the pocket is legal.

I never gave much thought to carrying a pocket knife and the fact that it could land you in trouble. I wonder if the clip on a knife would make it concealed or open carry when it’s clipped on your pocket.

I never gave much thought to carrying a pocket knife and the fact that it could land you in trouble
Most cops don't know squat about gun laws and believe they know even less about knives. Makes it more thought provoking about carrying one I guess.

Microtech makes some freaking awesome knives. I could easily blow through thousands of dollars on their products.

True. I chose the CS Recon 1 to avoid a felony charge that would erase my 2A rights here in MA. Florida folks have rights. Us peons here in MA have privileges that can be revoked at the whim of a police chief
It’s actually a misdemeanor with a fine for a first offense. Still, I agree with you. I have a Benchmade infidel and a microtech Halo V but I don’t carry them. Just bought them one day when I was flush because I always wanted them.

Cool factor aside, I’d much rather have one of my folders or fixed blades in a real world emergency. Don’t care about the legality, just would prefer a knife with less failure points

So? Lol. Just because most cheap autos are trash doesn't mean they should be illegal. I have at least one in cold storage thats no less reliable than the ball bearing or spring assist folders i have.

Microtech makes some freaking awesome knives. I could easily blow through thousands of dollars on their products.
Cold Steel folding knives are my favorites, because they are reasonably priced, very rugged and razor sharp right out of the box. I left the Chief 60 .38 at home a couple of months ago when my wife and I took the Salem ferry to Boston's North End to enjoy the Saint Anthony festivities and carried the Recon 1 folder concealed in my back pocket. She just carried OC spray.. The streets and sidewalks were packed with people, literally shoulder to shoulder. A gun would not be appropriate under those circumstances.

And publicly demonized by the movie West Side Story. [thumbsup]
And demonized our Puerto-Rican brethren as well (I believe they were the ones in the play with the switch blades, when back in 1958, straight razors were the preferred weapon of choice in gangland battles of that demographic).

So? Lol. Just because most cheap autos are trash doesn't mean they should be illegal. I have at least one in cold storage thats no less reliable than the ball bearing or spring assist folders i have.
My focus is on a knife being practical. Legality? That depends on location, location, location as realtors are so fond of saying. MA has "home rule" bullshit which allowed a number of cities here to impose ridiculous blade length limits of 2.5", which renders the knife worthless for many purposes. I carry the Recon 1 while fishing, hunting and just doing home maintenance projects. A cheap knife, auto or manual, would simply not cut the mustard. With my luck, it would fail when I needed it most.

It’s actually a misdemeanor with a fine for a first offense. Still, I agree with you. I have a Benchmade infidel and a microtech Halo V but I don’t carry them. Just bought them one day when I was flush because I always wanted them.

Cool factor aside, I’d much rather have one of my folders or fixed blades in a real world emergency. Don’t care about the legality, just would prefer a knife with less failure points

@In God We Trust, where can one find (in writing) that its a misdemeanor and fine for first offense? I've looked after reading this, but my google-fu must be off.. .as all i can find is MA laws, but no punishment breakdowns. I've heard a LOT of conflicting info regarding this, including what you've said.

I've mistakenly taken out my Benchmade Adamas auto, thinking it was my Adamas folder before. Living in MA had me shitting my pants when I realized the mistake while driving with a recently dead headlight.

@In God We Trust, where can one find (in writing) that it’s a misdemeanor and fine for first offense? I've looked after reading this, but my google-fu must be off.. .as all i can find is MA laws, but no punishment breakdowns. I've heard a LOT of conflicting info regarding this, including what you've said.
Strange, I check but I couldn’t find it either. The law used to say that carrying an auto knife on your person was a disorderly person offense which is a misdemeanor.

Maybe the law changed recently?

Strange, I check but I couldn’t find it either. The law used to say that carrying an auto knife on your person was a disorderly person offense which is a misdemeanor.

Maybe the law changed recently?
Ch 269 s 10
“…the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.”

The streets and sidewalks were packed with people, literally shoulder to shoulder. A gun would not be appropriate under those circumstances.

Does not compute. That’s exactly the type of event and crowd that these lunatics look for to get a mass effect. What the hell does other peepo have to do with carrying or not?

I've mistakenly taken out my Benchmade Adamas auto, thinking it was my Adamas folder before. Living in MA had me shitting my pants when I realized the mistake while driving with a recently dead headlight.
If you really were worried about that you need a carebear as an avatar not the punisher logo...jfc

Does not compute. That’s exactly the type of event and crowd that these lunatics look for to get a mass effect. What the hell does other peepo have to do with carrying or not?
Streets were blocked by Boston PD. Some nut detonates a homemade backpack bomb loaded with ball bearings, 10 penney nails or wrapped in prenotched wire, game over regardless. My .38 would be about as useful as a milk bucket under a bull. Better off packing a large first aid kit to help deal with the wounded. Look what happened at the Boston Marathon finish line. Plenty of cops. Some of them got hurt as well.

Back
Top Bottom