1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Peloton anyone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by crazymjb, Nov 26, 2018.

1. crazymjb

crazymjb

Tis the season to spend money I don't have on things people don't need....

But on a serious note, anyone have one of these? This would mainly be a gift for my wife, but I'd probably use it in the winter months.

I know there are better cycling trainer setups, but that's not what we're/she's looking to do. I "run" (I suck at it by any serious runners standards) for cardio when the weather is decent and she used to run before she hurt her back. She's tried outdoor cycling but given the idiots around here on the road she doesn't find it at that enjoyable. She does enjoy spinning classes, and I've been known to slay myself on a bike in a gym for a winter cardio workout.

Basically looking for anyone with experience on these. Does it get used a lot? Reliable? Easy to hop on and join a class?

Thanks all

Mike

2. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

My brother just picked a used one up for his wife. They hold their value amazingly well, so that should say something about them. She apparently has a number of friends who rave about it. There are both recorded and live classes (about 12/day?) so joining one should be easy.

3. HarryPottar

HarryPottar NES Member

My wife wanted one, I didn’t purchase, from what I could find out, if you don’t keep up the subscription the bike is won’t cycle.

4. quincy

quincy NES Member

They are cool but why not just ride outdoors? Just dress like you’re hitting the ski slopes and you will not get cold. I ride all winter.

5. glide

glide

That is not accurate. You can free-ride without a subscription or classes.

HarryPottar likes this.
  6. JamesD

JamesD

I know 5 people with Peloton bikes. All report regularly using them and maintaining their subscriptions to live classes. Three of the 5 profess to have never been able to consistently work out indoors on a machine prior to owning a Peloton bike. One, the only male, likes his bike so much that he is ordering the treadmill Peloton is offering. I rather cynically assume that Peloton is just a trend but plenty of people, including myself, consistently use home gym equipment. It really is just a traditional piece of equipment made much better.

7. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i looked at those two xmases ago. was going to give one to my daughter as her "health club". Was EXPECTING it to be maybe $500. :)
    it is more like $3500! for a frigin exercise bike.

i bought her a nice fold away bike with magnetic induction resistance feature....from target if i recall, for around $160. worked very smooth, she liked it...watches TV when she pedals.

Peleton has these online classes....so it should be worth more, but TWENTY TIMES MORE??? Come on.

Dennis in MA likes this.
  8. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

FWIW, I ride, and don't have to contend with road idiots. Even in the winter.

[​IMG]

I cannot bring myself to pedal in place for long. My six-minute warm-up on the Lifecycle at the gym is more than enough. That said, it would depend, of course, on the nature of that back injury.

The5thDentist and Arto like this.
  9. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Have one. Like it a lot.

10. Zeke

Zeke

You can get the classes without buying their bike. We bought a bike from Gym Source and a subscription from Peloton. My wife uses it religiously. The subscription for classes (an app actually) is about $13 a month.

11. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

I can't say if Peloton is good or bad but I've heard that's pretty subscription based. They really want to lock you in and I think there might even be some weird maintenance rules/limitations.
    I've been riding/racing for 25 years and currently the rage with actual outdoor cyclists is using our road bikes on a "Smart" trainer and using the Zwift app. The trainer is interactive so it gets more difficult to pedal on inclines, easier on descents. There are also optional components like the Kickr Climb that will raise and lower the fork to change the incline and a fan that adjusts RPM's based on your heartrate or speed. Zwift is an app that's like virtual cycling. You can ride and race other people in real time. The software "sees" the rider's wattage and power to weight so it's surprisingly realistic. Check out the Zwift site and trainer brands like Wahoo and Tacx. Setup is a lot more involved since Zwift runs on a computer or tablet. Lots of Zwifters out there running on gaming towers with a big screen TV for pretty immersive experience.

wahsben likes this.
  12. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

I wouldn't want to ride a bicycle where we live on the most beautiful of days, the motorcycle is dicey enough. To get to a decent trail is at least a 30 minute drive.

That said, my wife wanted a Peloton, but she has a gym membership through her work so she just uses that regularly. If you have another type of membership to a gym, I'd say don't do it. The subscription type programs would be worth it IN PLACE of another membership.

13. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Whereabouts in Boston are you? What about the Fells?

Edit:
    massachusetts
    (Not sure how up-to-date - I know the Connecticut map is missing a lot of stuff, mainly because someone hasn't taken the time to enter it.)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  14. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

Southwest.

I looked at the fells and frequented Blue Hills when I first moved here. Depending on time of day, it's only 20-30 minutes from me, the fells are more like 45-hour. Having moved from northern VT, even the 30 minutes through the burbs felt like a pain. I fell out of it and now my old Jamis feels like a boat anchor.

I drive in and around the city daily. Riding a bike, even in what I consider the suburbs, you're putting your life at risk.

15. Matt-CZ

Matt-CZ

Peloton pushes their subscription service pretty hard, and the bike itself seems kinda pricey. Unless she really wants to do a subscription home spin class, I'd just buy a normal stationary bike and find some routine online or use a smartphone app.

There's probably much cheaper ways to do a home spin class that doesn't require an ongoing subscription from a premium vendor.

16. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

It's a pretty expensive clothes hanger. ;)

17. Pete85

Pete85

I looked into getting one a little over a year ago and decided to go with a regular elliptical instead. Price was the biggest factor in not getting it. The Peloton cost $2000 right off the bat and you're required to sign a two year contract for their online fitness classes at $40 a month. So you're looking at spending nearly $3000 on it. If you're looking to use it specifically for the fitness classes, it might be worth it to you.

18. eboos

eboos

I just started riding heavily last winter and began racing this year. I spent last winter on a dumb fluid trainer with a power meter on Zwift. Zwift helped overcome the biggest hurdle in indoor training - boredom. I mostly stuck to training plans and that really helped prepare me for the spring. I had since picked up a Wahoo Kickr which is a direct drive (wheel off) smart trainer. It is a night and day difference, and it makes hitting and staying at prescribed power levels much easier (basically you hit the prescribed cadence and the trainer automatically sets the resistance level to the target power). I highly recommend it.

19. System6ix

System6ix NES Member

I have one and love it. I work from home and find the ability to ride for an hour on my lunch break invaluable. Yes it's pricey and yes you are going to be paying a monthly fee to access the classes. However I feel health is a great investment, that is often overlooked.

Our Peloton is typically used 2-3 hours a day 6-7 days a week (Me, wife and daughter) and and it's over two years old now with zero issues. The nice thing is, if you have other family members that may use it, it sure makes the subscription fee start to look like a bargain.

Also there is a huge variance in the classes you can do, such as a quad burning climb ride, to a lung busting tabata ride. There is also Heart Rate Zone training and Power Zone training where you take an FTP test and then use the results to calculate your zones for riding in. There are also "off the bike" classes that run the gamut from yoga to core strength building. It's always easy to jump into a class. I typically do on-demand rides, but there's also daily live rides. People tend to find an instructor or two they like and stick with them.

I spend the summer racing mountain bikes and noticed a huge improvement in fitness after spending the winter riding the Peloton.

The negatives I can see are, if you don't want to renew the subscription, but own the bike it's a brick. It can do nothing without the subscription. Sure you can pedal it, but you won't get any metrics. Plenty of folks also get bored to death riding a stationary bike, so it's certainly not for everyone. It doesn't have endless adjustments for getting the fit perfect, such as you cannot adjust the fore and aft of the handlebars, just the height. Thankfully you can get it "close enough".

Peloton has a store in Natick where you can check them out. The bonus is both GFA Arms and B&K Sales (two great gun shops) are also in Natick. Good luck with it!

20. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

They make a hell of a coat rack! :)

21. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

They've loosened up on their subscription. You can pause/cancel your subscription at any time you decide. So if you only want it for the winter months you can call and suspend the subscription in the warmer months until you are ready to activate it again.

I did a lot of research on these bikes and we purchased a Peloton over others. They are up to 14 live classes a day from beginner to expert and provide a mix of drills, out of seat work, barbells, choice of music etc' into the ride to keep it interesting. The current library of recorded classes is several thousand big and you can choose as many as you like with your subscription. Price right now is $1,900 and $39 a month subscription. You can pick it up or pay $250 for delivery and set up. Right now they are giving away a $250 accessories package that includes a pair of cycling shoes, bike mat, water bottle, ear buds and Look cleats for free.

They are also running a 0% financing option for 39 months that will bring the bike costs to $38 a month.

22. JRT

JRT NES Member

I bought one for my GF and she loves it. I have been racing bicycles since I was 16, and I have to say I enjoy it on occasion, as well. The only possible complaint is the flywheel weight, I wish it was in the 50 pound range and I believe its 37. There are frequent live classes and 1000s of recorded classes to choose from. Good deal and a fair subscription rate.

23. crazymjb

crazymjb

As I said I'd lean more towards a bike/indoor trainer if she were into "real life" cycling, but she's not. She has a cheaper hybrid bike she's tried riding and she just gets too sketched out with the traffic given the area we live in. Also, she enjoys class-based workouts. Her old gym was some ungodly amount of money, like $160 a month or something, and she used it exclusively for the classes. When a bunch of the instructors left she did as well. My office has since become her "yoga studio" and there is plenty of room for a bike.

Glad none of you who have them are like "f*** this thing"

FWIW on the running front my gym has "TruRunner" treadmills which are awesome, and like $6K a pop... or approximately 15 years of my membership dues.

Mike

24. System6ix

System6ix NES Member

I should mention my wife who rides the Peloton daily has absolutely zero interest in "real life" cycling. God knows I've tried multiple times to get her into both mountain and road cycling with zero luck.

crazymjb likes this.
  25. JJ4

JJ4 NES Member

I've been looking at these and some alternatives. My neighbors got a Peloton and I went and tried it. Very solid bike. They say the classes are what keep them engaged and pushes them. They don't think they'd ride without the classes.

I'm a cheapskate and can't get over a $40/month fee that never ends. Then again I typically ride the bike at the gym watching tv. So I've been looking at the Keiser m3i which costs almost the same up front but no classes/fees. Some people get a Keiser or other high end bike and then buy Peloton app for the classes which is half the monthly price or less - the only down side is that the metrics don't upload so you can't "compete".

I ended up getting a Wahoo Kickr Core (direct drive trainer) from @colt_fan at Bikeway Source. Awesome machine and I can use my real bike. I still might get an indoor cycle bike like the Keiser but waiting a bit to see.

colt_fan likes this.
  26. eboos

eboos

Smart buy! Are you on Zwift? Way cheaper than $40 per month, and a huge variety of workouts, free rides, virtual races, group rides and group workouts you can do.

JRT likes this.
  27. JRT

JRT NES Member

Check out Zwift with your trainer. It's a great training tool.

eboos likes this.
  28. AntiHippie

AntiHippie

I love it. Use it 3 or 4 times a week, because I hate running and I’m trying to be not fat. Only thing I do t line is the instructors that aren’t even winded when i’m ready to pass out! Big smile on their face while I’m hurting...

Also learned the first time I used it that you can NOT just stop pedaling and coast like a normal bike. Almost went ass over teakettle...

29. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

I like the California lawyer chick with the curly brown hair.

30. quincy

quincy NES Member

Try an e-bike. I use mine all year. At least it gets you out in the fresh air.