Pellet rifles

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
highly dependent of actual use, i only went through 4000 pellets last year 95% of that was with a 10 meter air rifle I use to not completely loose any shooting skills.
I shoot at 20 yards and closer with a Daisy 853. Which is more than accurate enough to show your fundamentals are slacking.
I know a few guys that do the field target stuff and they are shooting 10k's a year easy. all pcp rifles and tanks.
My friends son is getting deep into 10m competitive air rifle, 2000 pellets a week or so is not hard for him to piss through.
holy crap!

I must go thru 100 a year

RankAmateur

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Is that pump itself not worth it?
I know people who are Federally Prohibited so air rifles are their only choice.
A few are very deep into PCP so a $$$$ compressor makes sense especially if you are filling tanks for others.
Think about what tou spend on ammo/reloading
Think of a air compressor as renewable powder source?
mac1911, agree. Some of the newer air rifles are ridiculously accurate out to 100 yds, and with the new slugs and barrel sleeves designed for them, 2-300 yds is readily do-able. For me, it was pure convenience. I can shoot 50-100 yds in my backyard with my PCPs without bothering neighbors (and they are easily bothered - grin). Not unusual for me to run 3-500 pellets a week. The Nomad has made that almost effortless, and compared to getting a scuba tank filled, it's paid for itself over the last couple of years.

Only caution for your post is that I wouldn't count on a pump like the Nomad (or comparable) for regularly filling tanks. I can fill my PCPs directly, and I fill a pony bottle with it for long sessions. compressors designed for refilling larger bottles, or even pony bottles regularly, run a bit over a grand (or more).

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Air rifles for hundred of dollars ! I can remember the days when you could go to Kmart or Kittery trading post and pick up a nice daisy or crosman 177 .BB gun for 20 - 40 bucks. Man I feel old.

cathouse01

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Air rifles for hundred of dollars ! I can remember the days when you could go to Kmart or Kittery trading post and pick up a nice daisy or crosman 177 .BB gun for 20 - 40 bucks. Man I feel old.
Still can:
Daisy Powerline 880 Air Rifle with Scope, .177 Cal $36.96
Just that air rifles have gotten a lot fancier since we were young:

cathouse01

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked this up from Midway, Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston Elite Air Rifle with Scope, on closeout for $100.Pellet.gif
It will give you nickel sized groups at 20 yards, with a 16 grn pellet at ~750 fps and ~20 ft lbs. Perfect for squirrel patrol. One of my better buys.

strangenh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Picked this up from Midway, Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston Elite Air Rifle with Scope, on closeout for $100.
It will give you nickel sized groups at 20 yards, with a 16 grn pellet at ~750 fps and ~20 ft lbs. Perfect for squirrel patrol. One of my better buys.

Yeah, my NPSS was the go-to until I got into PCP airguns. I put a Charlie da Tuna trigger in it. Huge improvement.

cathouse01

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, my NPSS was the go-to until I got into PCP airguns. I put a Charlie da Tuna trigger in it. Huge improvement.
Thanks for the heads up on the CharlieDaTuna trigger. At $30/$33 (need to actually determine which one I need) it seems like a good investment. I consider PCPs to be “real guns”. Unlike piston guns that you need to use the “artillery hold” with to get any level of accuracy, you can shoot a PCP just like a regular firearm and use regular rifle scopes on them.

Top Bottom