Pellet rifles

RankAmateur

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Only advise I’d give is to CHOOSE your use wisely - target, hunting or a little of both. The rage in airguns is SPEED, but it kills for absolute accuracy. For example, I have both an Olympic quality air rifle and pistol and neither breaks the sound barrier in FPS.

if pursuing target, you also want a good, preferably adjustable, trigger!
Agree! Key to understand is that ALL diablo format pellets (the name for the classical pellet shape we all buy and use) are unstable at transsonic speeds. Lighter pellets shoot faster out of the same guns, but they will start tumbling on the way to the target if they are traveling near or above 1100 FPS.

Roof gunner

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to bass pro shop last nite. Literally 2 choices for pellet rifles to choose from. A total of I think 5 rifles in the store. Zero pellets for sale and there were a total of 10 boxes of assorted garbage ammo in the ammo isle. Wtf is going on

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I went to bass pro shop last nite. Literally 2 choices for pellet rifles to choose from. A total of I think 5 rifles in the store. Zero pellets for sale and there were a total of 10 boxes of assorted garbage ammo in the ammo isle. Wtf is going on
WTF is going on?
The water started to boil and you noticed. They’re taking us out.

thorin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh yeah,

Benjamin break barrel View attachment 472578
I've got one of those, shoots pretty good. A GRT-III trigger (about $33) is great bang for buck, and the more I shoot mine the better it seems to get for backyard plinking at 25 yards. GRT-III Trigger - Airgun Triggers

I think any Crosman stock for the same type of NP rifle will swap in and they are inexpensive when ordered direct from Crosman. Think mine is the Remington Summit style and it looks and feels great.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Supply chain completwly fubar by covid, materials disrupted, long spells of shut downs ......I dont think its going to get better anytime soon. Thinking of buying anything buy it now.

Also inventory is in limbo , go to bass pro late may to june and there might be a better selection of pellet rifles. Theres nothing at bass pro that cant be found elsewhere.

daveyburt

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This thread got me to backorder the new Swarm Magnum in .22. It's only a Gamo but, I've consistently taken out dimes @~30yds with an old Gamo Whisper.
The repeater has me curious.

apander

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about this. I've had thousands of pellets and 3 air rifles shipped to me in MA from Pyramid Air. Last shipment of pellets received was in February of this year. Have they changed their policies in the last couple of months?
Maybe, I tried to order pellets years ago and was stopped at checkout, I don't usually go back to sites that do that once.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you're just getting started, and are interested in small-to-medium sized pests, go with .22 caliber

While .177 is easier to find, popular for competitive target shooting, and has more choices, .177 can be less-than-humane on gray squirrel and larger. Other calibers are more expensive and more difficult to obtain. I'm not saying they are bad (my go-to caliber has always been .20 and I have at least one barrel in most of the calibers on the market), just not where I would start out.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to take my daughter to dicks last nite for a lacrosse stick and when we were done shopping for her I went down to look at pellet rifles and everything gun related had been completely removed from the store. Bunch of pussys.
they don't call them DICKS for nothing!

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out on-line guidance about the "artillery hold". It's almost entirely counterintuitive, but the harder you try to hold a break barrel on target before the trigger breaks, the worse your accuracy (within limits). Essentially using your support hand to do nothing but support the weight of the rifle (just letting the rifle rest on your hand, not gripping the rifle) allows the rifle to cycle without interference. The key will be to learn how to aim for this hold, and then "let the rifle do what it will do".

Hand pumps ARE miserable, but "do-able" for lower pressure PCPs. A good hand pump will require more than 100 strokes to fill a 3000 psi PCP (like the Marauder) from about 1500 to 3000 PSI. It's a workout. For PCPs that store >4000 PSI, or have larger tank reservoirs, hand pumps are NOT practical. The little electric compressors are GREAT and make shooting hundreds of rounds fun and practical, so although not required, I HIGHLY recommend electric compressors like the Air Venturi Nomad. Hope this helps...
you mean the air ventri nomad pump for $700?

pass

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i had a nice anshutz air rifle that i gave away.
that was before i realize how crappy my benjamin would be. it was back in the day before their rifles got insane in price. but still a nice squirrel shooter

RankAmateur

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

pass
I got my Nomad in mid 2018 and paid just over $500. Has run without a hitch for 3 years. Worth every penny. I see current prices for the Nomad II are listed at the $700 you quote. Don't know if alternatives are as reliable, but available. I saw a Hatsan compressor for $428 on Midway, Umarex for $550 on Pyramyd air, and some "no name" compressors in the $300s on Amazon. They all take a bite when you're getting started, but are far more convenient than trips to get a SCUBA bottle filled, and are far more practical than laying out >$1K for a 4500PSI compressor designed for bottles. One man's option, your mileage may vary ;)

Rating - 100%
76   0   0

pass
Is that pump itself not worth it?
I know people who are Federally Prohibited so air rifles are their only choice.
A few are very deep into PCP so a $$$$ compressor makes sense especially if you are filling tanks for others.
Think about what tou spend on ammo/reloading
Think of a air compressor as renewable powder source?

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that pump itself not worth it?
I know people who are Federally Prohibited so air rifles are their only choice.
A few are very deep into PCP so a $$$$ compressor makes sense especially if you are filling tanks for others.
Think about what tou spend on ammo/reloading
Think of a air compressor as renewable powder source?
good point.

i was weighing the logic of saving .10 cents for a .22 cartridge, vs pumping 300 times, or spending $700 for that compressor.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
good point.

i was weighing the logic of saving .10 cents for a .22 cartridge, vs pumping 300 times, or spending $700 for that compressor.
highly dependent of actual use, i only went through 4000 pellets last year 95% of that was with a 10 meter air rifle I use to not completely loose any shooting skills.
I shoot at 20 yards and closer with a Daisy 853. Which is more than accurate enough to show your fundamentals are slacking.
I know a few guys that do the field target stuff and they are shooting 10k's a year easy. all pcp rifles and tanks.
My friends son is getting deep into 10m competitive air rifle, 2000 pellets a week or so is not hard for him to piss through.

Top Bottom