• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pellet Rifles

I know this has come up before but......I wanted to get an pellet gun for the 2 boys,9 and 10.I would like to plink in the back yard so not to make too much noise.I have heard that some sound like a .22 when fired and wanted something quieter.I also know about the whisper one.Is there one that the 2 boys and hopefully my 2 girls can use and learn the responsibility of them without being overwhelmed about the whole thing?Anyway sorry for babbleing and hope I got my point across.Plus its an excuse to get another something[grin]

Get the kind that you can pump up to about 10 times. Just a few pumps will give sufficient accuracy at close range (10 - 15 feet) for the kids to learn, with very little noise. Even at 10 pumps, my Daisy is fairly quiet (but the Crosman which preceded it was a far better gun). As the gun can use BB's or pellets, you have a cheaper ammo option.

NOTE: The ChiCom one-pump pellet guns are far more powerful, but take more effort to cock (spring-powered) and are noisier.

Do they still make pop-guns? You know, the kind with the cork in the end? You can just line up the tin cans and knock them down with a harmless cork or three. Can teach a LOT with this low-tech solution.

Gamo Whisper if you want something really quiet. The report on a .177 or .22 air rifle is no where close to a .22lr pistol or rifle. I have the RWS Model 38 in .177 and a Panther in the .22 model and shoot in my backyard all the time. One of my neighbors was actually surprised to see me shooting as he could not hear a thing at 50 feet away.

Back
Top Bottom