• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pellet Rifles, who owns one?

Thanks for the recipes "FreeWillie" always interested in good wild meat recipes, especially small game. Cant fit an elk or deer into my fridge freezer. [laugh]

Another one for you and fencer [laugh]

SQUIRREL JAMBALAYA

1 med. squirrel
Salt
Red pepper
3 tbsp. cooking oil
2 lg. onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
1/4 green pepper, chopped
4 tbsp. chopped parsley
2 c. uncooked rice, washed
1 1/2 c. water
2 tsp. salt

Cut squirrel into serving pieces; season well with salt and red pepper. Saute squirrel in oil until brown; remove from skillet. Saute onions, celery, garlic, green pepper and parsley in oil until wilted. Put squirrel back into skillet; cover. Cook slowly about 30 minutes or until squirrel is tender. Add rice and water. Stir thoroughly 2-3 minutes. Add salt; cook slowly about 30 minutes or until rice is cooked. Serves 2-4.

Another one for you and fencer [laugh]

SQUIRREL JAMBALAYA

1 med. squirrel
Salt
Red pepper
3 tbsp. cooking oil
2 lg. onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
1/4 green pepper, chopped
4 tbsp. chopped parsley
2 c. uncooked rice, washed
1 1/2 c. water
2 tsp. salt

Cut squirrel into serving pieces; season well with salt and red pepper. Saute squirrel in oil until brown; remove from skillet. Saute onions, celery, garlic, green pepper and parsley in oil until wilted. Put squirrel back into skillet; cover. Cook slowly about 30 minutes or until squirrel is tender. Add rice and water. Stir thoroughly 2-3 minutes. Add salt; cook slowly about 30 minutes or until rice is cooked. Serves 2-4.

That sounds great.

pellet guns are my only real practice fpr shooting. the daisy 853 is more than accurate enough to show when your fundamentals are slacking.
Its the only range time I really get....im a bit rusty but I can usually hit the spoons at 25 yards off hand with out any issue. Its enough practice to keep me from shooting poorly at the cmp matches I like to go to.

later today or this week I shoot the easter eggs out at 75 yards with the Disco
heres my daughter taking the last 2 invading eggs out with the disco at 50 yards. prone off a bipod

Last edited by a moderator:
All my rifles have a purpose. The pellet gun is great for silent hunting just in case the food supply runs out. Theres a lot of squirrel around cemeteries and industrial parks, as well as pigeons.
People dont realize how fast the food supply will dry up at the stores if a major event happens. During the depression in the 30's most city people were lucky to have a slice of baloney once a week with their beans and rice, while country folk were eating squirrel, rabbit, and even crow with theirs.

You and the other 300 million hungry people

another boring video about 60 yards... disco just plopped down on the grasss with bi pod. First shot went a tad high as I forgot to reset my zero.... This gun has about a 15 prime shot shot window... first 3 shots after a fill generally go where ever then a 15 shot window then after that they will tend to degrade. Since I put the adjustable valve in it it has been better but for a loss of velocity...
I can get this disco to about 875fps with 15.8 grain jsb pellet but it really shines in accuracy when dialed bact to about 725fps
the jsb 13.4 grainers do very well also....
for most critter control though I will run a jsb 25 grainers and they really lay a wallop on anything shy of a big rabbit....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a couple of break barrel ones that do OK, and a 10 round rotary magazine one that runs from CO2 cylinders.

Funny story. The first time my kids shot it, I thought a target, pice of carpet and masonite would stop the pellets at 30 yards. It didn;t, and the cedar fence behind didn't either

Yeah, look at what game levels were like back then. subsistence hunting would wipe this state pretty clean pretty fast.

That's why I am just gonna eat people. I figured with all my tax funded EBt fatties-I might was well cash in on the "herd" on the dole. Apprantly according to the cannibals in New Guinea, people taste like sweet bacon. Yum

Don't know what your missing Bro....

funny stuff. i guess it's what you're some people grew up on

i deleted the squirrel recipe to save space. one of the guys at the brockton dick's sporting is from down south (alabama??)

not licensed in MA, but loves squirrel and shoots them in his back yard, but i don't know his rifle of choice

Don't know what your missing Bro....

funny stuff. i guess it's what you're some people grew up on

i deleted the squirrel recipe to save space. one of the guys at the brockton dick's sporting is from down south (alabama??)

not licensed in MA, but loves squirrel and shoots them in his back yard, but i don't know his rifle of choice

Sling shot? Might just grab them before I eliminated the trees around my house( all infected and 2 came close enough) the hoard of tree rats living in them could be hand fed.

Anyone eat red squirrel?

Have an old Crosman 140 pump from my grandfather...put a seal kit in it and slapped a scope on it not too long ago but haven't had the time to get out back to dial it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes .22. Though the .25 has a green mountain barrel. I want the machined rail for the scope the armada has. But I really want that new marauder wood stock.

Does anyone have any experience with this Benjamin Titan GP?

I've got one, mostly I shoot it at 30 yards in the backyard popping spinners. It shoots hard and the report is pretty quiet after break-in. The scope it comes with is pure garbage, so you'd probably want to buy one of those UTG clamp on picatinny rails and mount a better scope (I put on an inexpensive UTG 4x32 and it works great). The trigger is also not great so I put on a Charlie Tuna GRT3 trigger for $33 (you can lighten the trigger DIY for free/cheap but it will have creep). Replaced the plastic barrel bushings with steel washers to tighten up the action (about 25 cents from Aubuchon). Most Crosman springer stocks are interchangeable and cheap ($15-25 direct from Crosman) in case you wanted new furniture someday. It has a certain amount of recoil that might surprise you if you haven't shot springers before. After trying a half dozen different pellets, I find it works best with the standard Crosman round nose, the hollowpoints are a close second, which is nice because they are cheap and easy to get at walmart.

To summarize, right out of the box it was an OK plinker, not terribly accurate but after a new scope & mount, couple hundred rounds break-in, trigger & bushings it is my go-to gun for my 30 yard backyard range. Well suited for squirrels too.

The Benjamin Trail NP2 has a better trigger and piston system, sling swivel and picatinny rail, it costs more but might be a better value especially if you don't feel like tinkering. Looks like it still comes with an el cheapo centerpoint scope so you'd probably want to put a different one on.

This thread has me thinking about buying an air rifle. I saw the Gamo Big Cat Whisper yesterday at Wal Mart. Anybody have any experience with this? Worth buying?

edit: looking for a plinker for the backyard and/or to shoot pests. A quiet rifle would be a plus.

Last edited:
MidwayUSA is blowing out the occasional Crosman Nitro-Piston driven airgun the last week or so. Check on there for deals (the scopes they come with are crap, but that can be replaced - some of them are being sold for 50% off).

I have a Chinese "Fast Deer" KL-3B side-cocker. I've never really trusted break-barrel designs to line up correctly.

The Fast Deer is quite decent, especially since if you got in on the feeding frenzy you could get one for less than $20. Full size, hardwood stock, .177 at about 1,200 fps, acceptable sights, dovetail for a scope + a scope retaining stud.

I would trust it for a squirrel headshot at any range where a .177 was an effective squirrel killer.

Got myself one of these a few months ago.
It's expensive but GOOD.

PY-3362_AirForce-Escape-Air-Rifle_1463154098.jpg

This thread has me thinking about buying an air rifle. I saw the Gamo Big Cat Whisper yesterday at Wal Mart. Anybody have any experience with this? Worth buying?

edit: looking for a plinker for the backyard and/or to shoot pests. A quiet rifle would be a plus.

I have one. I bought it on Amazon. It shoots pretty good for the price. Killed about a dozen squirrels last year. Even got a chipmunk at about 25 yards. I was shocked how accurate it shoots.

Back
Top Bottom