• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pellet Rifles, who owns one?

Got myself one of these a few months ago. It's expensive but GOOD.
The Air Force products are like the AR-15's of the airgun world, a quick barrel swap and you change length, caliber, or switch to Archery.
Airarcher_conversion_kit-1.jpg

its really hard to tell anyone what a good pellet gun is to buy. Like anything the more dedicated to a certain type of shooting the better off you will be. Budget then plays a huge role.
If your looking for a back yard plinker its tough to beat the multi pumps. these are current production guns
for ultra cheap yet usually suprise in fun accuracy its tough to discount the daisy 880 or the crosman 2100
then you step up to things like the Benjamin 392/397 put a williams 64 peep sight on it and you got some fun shooting...
Want a accurate target pump gun get a daisy 853/753
I personally have got away from the Co2 guns they just dont do well over all.
The PCP rifles and pistols are fun and powerful....although costly so your budget entry gun is the Bengamin Discover or the new wild fire.
I think umerex and Gamo have some PCP out now also.

Accuracy ? well that depends on what you expect. Honestly anything that can keep a consistent group X yards is good.

My daisy 853 can hold just under MOA out to about 35 yards. Its ment for 10 meter matches.
the disco with some mods and pellet selection can shoot moa and hold that out to 75 yards with no wind.

the rest of my stuff is minute of tree rat out the effective yardage of the power plant.

now go back a few decades and the crosman 140s, 1400s are great pumpers.

not a fab of break barrels I rather a side or under lever...

MidwayUSA is blowing out the occasional Crosman Nitro-Piston driven airgun the last week or so. Check on there for deals (the scopes they come with are crap, but that can be replaced - some of them are being sold for 50% off).
Thanks for the tip! I checked in and I found this guy:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...c-stock-matte-barrel-with-4x-32mm-scope-matte

$50 cheaper and seems very much similar to the Benjamin previously posted. Any thoughts? Experiences?

Personally, I like the unusual mechanisms,PCP tanks, new calibers,

For a first airgun, I think something like a nitro-piston is a good introductory gun -- less effort/maintenance/complexity/recoil/noise for the beginner. Similarly, a break barrel will be more economical than a "lever" model, has lower cocking effort, and it's easier to load each pellet.

If you don't plan to humanely take anything bigger than a squirrel, .177 is fine, otherwise go with .22 caliber. There are other options to choose from, but you'll find the largest variety of pellets (and best prices) at those two sizes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! I checked in and I found this guy:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...c-stock-matte-barrel-with-4x-32mm-scope-matte

$50 cheaper and seems very much similar to the Benjamin previously posted. Any thoughts? Experiences?

No. I have one of the old NPs and liked it a good deal before I upped my game to PCP airguns (still have it tho). Mine is before Crosman updated their triggers and I put a Charlie da Tuna trigger in mine - made a big difference. That Redtail is going to be as good as the prev. Benji posted - I'd get it. Should you not like the trigger, you can still put in a Charlie one. If you don't replace that scope/rings, do be sure to torque it down solidly. Springers - even nitro-piston airguns - shake stuff loose like you wouldn't believe.

I ended up buying the Gamo Accu Whisper last Saturday and finally got around to shooting it today. Seems like a pretty decent air rifle. I sighted the scope at about 50' and was continuously putting shots in the bulleyse and several in the same hole. I'm curious to see how it does when I stretch out the distance a little.

I ended up buying the Gamo Accu Whisper last Saturday and finally got around to shooting it today. Seems like a pretty decent air rifle. I sighted the scope at about 50' and was continuously putting shots in the bulleyse and several in the same hole. I'm curious to see how it does when I stretch out the distance a little.
If it starts to miss bullseye it probably needs a quick cleaning. Just to mention. I clean mine with a piece of 065 weed whacker string. I tie a tight knot on one end and slice a point on the other end. Then I stick a patch on it and feed it thru the barrel like a bore snake. If the knot is to big you can melt it a little with a lighter.
I also clean my .17HMR the same way.

the accu is like the older CFX not a bad unit at all for the price. I like how Gamo doesn't just push velocity on these. Honestly I don't think any pellet over 1000 fps is all that accurate, The pellet pen comes in handy loading these. Triggers are ok for the price point. like tpo see how well you can shoot it and try several pellets

Now I've done a bit more research. I'm going back and forth between a cricket or FX wildcat in .25

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If i ever get a high end thermal (or fusion hybrid) im definitely going to put it on a cheap pelletgun and assasinate the whip-poor-will around my house.

I can't think of one good reason not to own a pellet gun.

Last edited:
CO2 isn't great for full-auto, the small cartridges get too cold too fast, which is probably part of why this Umarex requires two CO2 cartridges.

Remember the old LARC M19-A BB machine gun, ran on automotive freon?

Wow, I thought I was the only one to shell out the money in the 80s for one of these things. Back when you could buy ozone depleting freon! I used to use the freon option and a lot of graphite. It didn't have a lot of power.... I remember in like, 1985 I had a neighbor who was shooting bottle rockets at my house with his buddies. I came outside and aimed it up in the air at a 45 degree angle (because it wasn't powerful enough) and emptied all the bb guns. It RAINED bb's on his house. It was then that I learned that victory can be achieved through superior firepower.

Back
Top Bottom