• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pellet Rifles, who owns one?

I really enjoy shooting my Gamo .177. Put a cheap 3x9 scope on it and easily can take out squirrels at 100'.
Nice and quiet too which makes shooting in the back yard really handy.

So heres mine.

Shot this can from 75'. Pellet went right thru it.

500 rounds of ammo for $3

Here's a favorite video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own one. But haven't used it in a million years.
I should break it out. Kids would have fun with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I bought one from Cabela's quite a few years ago. I think it's a Beeman and it came with a decent scope. I'm still amazed at its accuracy and stopping power for varmits.

I have a few. Great for shooting in situations where you cant use a firearm.

All my rifles have a purpose. The pellet gun is great for silent hunting just in case the food supply runs out. Theres a lot of squirrel around cemeteries and industrial parks, as well as pigeons.
People dont realize how fast the food supply will dry up at the stores if a major event happens. During the depression in the 30's most city people were lucky to have a slice of baloney once a week with their beans and rice, while country folk were eating squirrel, rabbit, and even crow with theirs.

I own one. But haven't used it in a million years.
I should break it out. Kids would have fun with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Mine in kind of old to, bought it I think in the late 90's but still works just great. Same thing here, it sits in the case for years at a time then all of the sudden I get interested in it again and shoot the crap out of it.

Yup. Have a few. Couple breakbarrels and a couple of precharged pneumatics. One multipump pneumatic pistol. They are primarily for pest control, then plinking... more or less in that order.

I use my Benjamin pump to keep the vermin out of my wife's perennial gardens. Perfect for close quarters where a traditional firearm would attract attention.

I had a pump many years ago but got tired of pumping it 25 times to take one shot. The gamo actually uses a spring I believe and one pump to cock the spring. Pellet moves out just under the speed of a 22LR.

All my rifles have a purpose. The pellet gun is great for silent hunting just in case the food supply runs out. Theres a lot of squirrel around cemeteries and industrial parks, as well as pigeons.
People dont realize how fast the food supply will dry up at the stores if a major event happens. During the depression in the 30's most city people were lucky to have a slice of baloney once a week with their beans and rice, while country folk were eating squirrel, rabbit, and even crow with theirs.

My great uncle was raised on a cattle farm where his dad worked. The only meat they ate before he joined the army was squirrel and possum. Shot with a old 22 pelletgun

Have a few as well. I like the old break barrels ( slavia .177, .22) flea market finds I restore, and a Sheridan blue streak .20 cal. old break barrel pistols are fun too. All work well at attic patrol.[thumbsup]

Last edited:
Have a few as well. I like the old break barrels ( slavia .177, .22) flea market finds I restore, and a Sheridan blue streak .20 cal. old break barrel pistols are fun too. All work well at attic patrol.[thumbsup]
I have several also. Most of the common fodder daisy 880, crosman 2100 , Sheridan/benjimen 392/397s . plus I collect some of the older pumps.

these are my primary use ones
CnxCOZi.jpg

top to bottom
1. Daisy 853 single pump .177 match rifle. extremely accurate for a inexpensive target rifle.
2. Benjamin Discover 22cal slightly modified good for minute of squirrel out to 75 yards. 100 yards in zero wind
3. Crosman 1400 22cal multi pump modified with some power mods and 5 pumps is good for a kill shot to 25 yards 8 pumps I can push to about 45-50 yards
4. Crosman 1400 ( I like these and have more) this is the porch gun. Runs good on 5-8 pumps mainly used for garden pest on the fly.
5. The one that started it all my original red ryder received in 1977 ? I learned to shoot on this thing. sitting in the base ment with a target 12' away with a old wool army blanket as a back stop.....ahh the days when kids could have fun.
6. The newest addition for my youngest if they should get the bug...

Last edited:
I have an old Ted Williams pump that I got 45+ years ago. Still use it. Just used it yesterday as a matter of fact to shoot some rats getting into the bird feeder. Works as good as it did when I was a kid. [smile]

I've been reading about the Umarex Gauntlet, a PCP that will be available soon.
It is said to be able to shoot into about 5/8" groups at 50 yards and can get 70 or so shots per charge.
$300 for the gun and another couple of hundred for the pump.

very tempting....

I've been reading about the Umarex Gauntlet, a PCP that will be available soon.
It is said to be able to shoot into about 5/8" groups at 50 yards and can get 70 or so shots per charge.
$300 for the gun and another couple of hundred for the pump.

very tempting....

Yeah, the amazing thing is that it is supposedly regulated (same volume/pressure released per shot until pressure drops below the set threshold). That's absolutely revolutionary in such an inexpensive PCP airgun.

i use a benjamin trail np in .22. break barrel nitro piston. It came with a scope, that after i shimmed it, it shoots pretty consistently. It is quiet, but not amazingly quiet. I see some air guns have suppressors on them now...i would look into one of those

UK Airgun Hunt! [rofl][rofl][rofl]

At least they are in the woods and hunting.... Maybe they still have men with some balls in the UK. Don't count them out. There is still a spark. Encourage them, don't laugh at them. Blow on the spark, don't put your boot on it or you are no better than those that have stolen their God given rights.

Last edited:
I've been addicted to airguns for 40 years. I still own my first BB gun . I also own a good dozen more airguns that range in power and quality ( Note: These are two separate things!). I have several high end /olympic grade co2 guns that are asprin splitting accurate. My favorites though are still high quality break barrel "springers". Airguns are lots of fun and great training tools . Best of all, I get to shoot them right in the basement and/or back yard.

p.s. Hunting with an airgun is more challenging than hunting with powder burners. Long lock times, reverse recoil and limited power require close stalking and good trigger control.

Last edited:
I've been addicted to airguns for 40 years. I still own my first BB gun . I also own a good dozen more airguns that range in power and quality ( Note: These are two separate things!). I have several high end /olympic grade co2 guns that are asprin splitting accurate. My favorites though are still high quality break barrel "springers". Airguns are lots of fun and great training tools . Best of all, I get to shoot them right in the basement and/or back yard.

p.s. Hunting with an airgun is more challenging than hunting with powder burners. Long lock times, reverse recoil and limited power require close stalking and good trigger control.

Hahaha. Shot mine from inside the house once and because it sounded like a 22lr going off so I figured I wouldn't do it anymore.

I have a couple, but the Gamo is crazy accurate and the scope is decent. It is a 3-9 and holds zero. Trigger is decent too.
Great training tool for the kids when they started shooting to drill in the safety rules and the basics. My son mastered respiratory pause with a pellet gun at 150' and soda bottle and cans at 9 years old.

Great for pest control too, but I am not eating squirrel. #hillbillieredneckgourmet

87d6c586-85ea-4594-8507-53ed76744364_1.57b301ffeeb00511d0b25ff3a856e222.jpeg

detail_whisper_fusion_zpsvjanimwc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great for pest control too, but I am not eating squirrel.

Don't know what your missing Bro....

Squirrel Stew with Paprika and Greens

There are a lot of ways you can play with this dish. You can use rabbit or chicken instead of squirrel, you can red wine instead of white wine, red vinegar instead of cider, kielbasa instead of smoked Portuguese sausages, collards instead of wild greens etc, etc. Have fun with it.

The only trick to this stew, if it can even be called a trick, is to build the flavors bit by bit. Not everything needs as long to cook as, say, squirrel legs. Follow my instructions on when you put in each ingredient and you’ll be fine.

Oh, and as you might guess, this stew reheats really well so you can make it for lunches during the week.

Serves 6 to 8.

Prep Time: 20 minutes, mostly for jointing the squirrels

Cook Time: 2 hours, maybe more if they are old squirrels

3 squirrels, cut into serving pieces
Salt
Flour for dusting
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cups sliced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 heaping teaspoon dried savory or oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 heaping tablespoon paprika
2 to 3 cups of whole, peeled tomatoes, torn into large pieces
1 pound smoked sausage, such as kielbasa or linguica, sliced into bite-sized pieces
1 pound greens (kale, chard, collards, wild greens, etc)
black pepper to taste

Salt the squirrel pieces well and then dust in flour. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy, lidded pot over medium-high heat. Brown the squirrels in batches, being sure to not overcrowd the pot. Move the browned pieces to a plate or cutting board while you cook the rest.
When the squirrels have been nicely browned, remove them all from the pot and add the onion. Saute the onion until it just begins to brown on the edges, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the tomato paste, mix well and cook this for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often.
Pour in the white wine, vinegar and about 1 quart of water. Add the savory, red pepper flakes and paprika, then the torn-up tomatoes, then the squirrel. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Add salt to taste and cook gently until the squirrel wants to fall off the bone, about 90 minutes. Fish out all the squirrel pieces and pull them off the bone — this makes the stew a lot easier to eat. Return them to the pot.
Add the smoked sausage and the greens and cook until the greens are done, about 10 minutes (If you are using collards, they need more than 10 minutes to cook so adjust accordingly). Add salt, black pepper, chile and vinegar to taste and serve with crusty bread.

Or maybe more to your taste...

Hmong Squirrel Stew

Cook Time: 90 minutes to 2 hours

2 squirrels, cut into serving pieces
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk of lemongrass, minced (white part only)
3 to 5 red chiles, chopped
1 tablespoon minced galangal (optional)
2 tablespoon minced ginger, peeled
1 quart chicken stock
6 lime leaves, or 1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
1 pound bok choy or chard, chopped
1/4 pound snow peas
1 teaspoon ground Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
Salt

GARNISH

1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup chopped mint

Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot such as a Dutch oven. Pat the squirrel pieces dry and brown them over medium-high heat in the oil. Remove them as they brown and set aside.
Add the garlic, lemongrass, galangal, ginger and chiles and stir-fry over high heat for 90 seconds.
Return the squirrel to the pot and add the chicken stock, lime leaves and fish sauce. You want the broth to cover everything by about an inch. If it does not, add some water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the meat wants to fall off the bone, between 1 hour and 2 hours. Remove the meat and shred it off the bones. Return it to the pot.
Add the bok choy and the snow peas and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste and the ground Sichuan pepper.
You can serve it as-is in bowls, or over some steamed rice in a bowl. Garnish with the cilantro, green onions and mint.

Last edited:
I have several and for those who'd like to shoot full auto without having to go through the expense of NFA stuff, it's an option.

Back
Top Bottom