• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pellet rifles in Massachusetts

sometimes you can't beat an air rifle but if noise is an issue you can't get much quieter than this.

View: https://youtu.be/JyY2yTqZWuE

That's actually a ground squirrel. I guess striped gopher is some local nickname. I've zapped countless numbers of them out west as a kid with a Sheridan Blue Streak 20mm pellet rifle and later a Marlin Glenfield 22. There was a bubonic plague outbreak at the time and they were the primary carrier, so we made quite the hobby of zapping those things- from a distance of course. [smile]

https://www.nytimes.com/1976/07/18/...st-health-authorities-warn-of-the-danger.html

I'm all for some good target practice with an air rifle but sometimes quiet is better. When it comes to trapping squirrels You can get really good results making a "squirrel pole" and some modified victor rat traps, you tether the traps to the pole so they hang and can't run away. You also shoot some brads or staples up from the bottom right where the bar smacks down, nothing is pulling itself out of that. Definitely not a catch and release setup but it works.

I know for a fact you can easily kill a turkey with a .22 air rifle, so a squirrel should be no problem. Oh, you mean legally? Man, I do not miss having neighbors.

22 is the way to go. There is a brand of aluminum pellets called penetrators? that I think are 16 or 18 grn. These are not loud and with good shot placement very lethal for what your trying to do.

We have a couple of owls who have taken up residence on the farm. They do a nice job of reducing the mouse population, but they tend to leave the chipmunks and squirrels to me. Since they do "cleanup" after my chipmunk/squirrel engagements I use these:

They are pretty accurate out to 50 yards and more than adequate for the job. Subsonic, so very quiet.

.177 will get squirrels easy. I got two rabbits w a pump .177 back in the day. I’m not worried about its ability to do what I want, just want it to be as quiet as possible. I ordered the .22 because it’s subsonic and will take care of squirrels and chipmunks easily.

So I'm looking at a Gamo Whisper for pest control, chipmunks & flying squirrels. I know that .177 is more than adequate for my needs but have read that the .22 version is subsonic vs/ .177 which is not. Does it make enough of a difference sound wise to go w/ the .22 vs. .177? I'm pretty well shielded from my neighbor who would probably have a problem with it, but no sense attracting unwanted attention. My preference would be .177, all things being equal.

You'll want the ass that the 22 has. No, it isn't quiet, but it does the job,

I grabbed a .22 Gamo Swarm Fusion when it was on sale. No problem with anything I've used it on. Largest were skunks.

I like the Gamo rocket pellets. You get to see lots of chipmunk guts. Gamo Rocket .22 Caliber high performance pellets, with steel round tip. Walmart always has them in stock.

I have a Gamo swarm fusion but in .177 (I think it’s swarm fusion. What is nice is the 10 shot mag as I had 5 or 6 squirrels in and around the chicken coop/run area eating their feed. I would usually be able to get 2 or so before they got away but the mag makes it a lot easier then trying to put the pellet in by hand. Also with .177 they say for with a heavier pellet if you want to keep the sound down. I just wish I could get my old Sheridan .20cal/5mm pellet gun working again. That was a great pellet gun.

I have a Gamo swarm fusion but in .177 (I think it’s swarm fusion. What is nice is the 10 shot mag as I had 5 or 6 squirrels in and around the chicken coop/run area eating their feed. I would usually be able to get 2 or so before they got away but the mag makes it a lot easier then trying to put the pellet in by hand. Also with .177 they say for with a heavier pellet if you want to keep the sound down. I just wish I could get my old Sheridan .20cal/5mm pellet gun working again. That was a great pellet gun.
I use one of these. Greatly speeds up reloading.
Amazon product ASIN B0053Y1H9GView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053Y1H9G

You can also get them for .177 pellets.
Amazon product ASIN B002Z4JGL8View: https://smile.amazon.com/Pellet-Pen-Holds-177-cal-Pellets/dp/B002Z4JGL8

My journey with firearms began when I tried to by a pellet gun at Walmart to annoy a woodchuck digging holes in the horse pasture. The local Walmart told me I needed a FID to purchase. When I went to get one, I learned that the cost and requirements were the same as for an LTC A. So I got an LTC A. I went from someone who knew nothing about guns to someone with a dedicated gun room in the house with multiple safes and reloading setups. I am not sure who to thank--Walmart or ma.gov or both..... Oh, I have six or so pellet guns that have taken out plenty of nuisance critters.

Back
Top Bottom