• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pellet guns are they "firearms"

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
First I know that in MASS a firearm is a handgun, but let's use it in its common usage as a gun.

I took my pellet rifle to the range the other day and I mentioned shooting it in my backyard, a friend said that a pellet gun is legally a firearm and therefore cannot be fired within 150' of a street or 500' feet of a dwelling and needs to have a trigger lock on it as well when stored.

I think that is nuts, but this IS Massachusetts, what are the laws on Pellet guns?

That is what I figured, after all we used to use BB guns to play war and actually shoot at each other, sting more than paint balls [rofl]

Of course the sheeple in the neighboring houses will probably call in a man with a gun if I am plinking in the backyard.

No, it's not a Firearm, rifle or shotgun, and requires no FID or LTC to possess.

However - you have to be 18 (IIRC) to purchase one
Some towns may have restrictions on discharge of air guns
It is considered a gun (firearm) on school property

It's possible that one could be jammed up by an EPO who thinks you are hunting with it.

And, you can put out your eye.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12B

And your know it all neighbor might drop a dime on you.

Then of course the po po would stop by for a visit, shoot your dog, and make a note in your file about improperly stored BB gun. When it comes time for LTC application/renewal they will deny you our of fear that you might take revenge on them for shooting your dog....if you can't store a BB gun "properly" then you are clearly unsuitable to have firearms.

You decide to move to nothern NH to get your freedom back. On the way home from the McD's in littleton munching on a big mac a large moose decided to play chicken with you on Rt3.

You wind up dead because some MA libtard could not mind his own F***ing business!

And your know it all neighbor might drop a dime on you.

Then of course the po po would stop by for a visit, shoot your dog, and make a note in your file about improperly stored BB gun. When it comes time for LTC application/renewal they will deny you our of fear that you might take revenge on them for shooting your dog....if you can't store a BB gun "properly" then you are clearly unsuitable to have firearms.

You decide to move to nothern NH to get your freedom back. On the way home from the McD's in littleton munching on a big mac a large moose decided to play chicken with you on Rt3.

You wind up dead because some MA libtard could not mind his own F***ing business!

y3a7araq.jpg

No, it's not a Firearm, rifle or shotgun, and requires no FID or LTC to possess.

However - you have to be 18 (IIRC) to purchase one
Some towns may have restrictions on discharge of air guns
It is considered a gun (firearm) on school property

It's possible that one could be jammed up by an EPO who thinks you are hunting with it.

And, you can put out your eye.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12B
Correct! My town has by-laws against it. But the neighbors have not objected when the kids are plinking cans in the backyard either. And the kids wear shooting glasses!

While not applicable to your situation, a BB gun can be a firearm in MA.

Under 269 s10 (j) a bb gun on school property is considered a firearm. See Comm v. Sayers: SAYERS, COMMONWEALTH vs., 438 Mass. 238

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

For the purpose of this paragraph, “firearm” shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

spitball.jpg

Yet you need an FID in this state to spray ground peppers at a would be attacker. I guess multiple pellets/bb's to the face is less harmful.....

"My safety is my finger, no touch no bang"

Shoot your damn pellet gun off your porch in a safe direction. 500/150 my a$$. Your backyard isn't a playground or school right? Let em fly then.

You're confusing the laws between the ch. 140 definitions and the ch. 269 offenses, as many of the latter consider a BB gun to be a firearm in very specific instances, like carrying a BB gun on a school campus. But that's only because it's specifically included in 269/10j. Otherwise, it is not a firearm under any section that relies solely on the 140/121 definitions.

Stop looking for rational ways to simplify and streamline your understanding of guns in the MGL's. It's a futile endeavor.

Last edited:
No confusion here. Under 269 s10j a bb gun is a no-no on school property regardless of 140. On school property it is considered a firearm.

Also, there was a point in time when you DID need an FID to purchase/possess one in Ma. I know it was like that back in the 80's. [hmmm]
You are right. I remember that law back in the mid-1970s. Guys that I went to high school with had to get FIDs for their Daisy and Crosman BB and pellet rifles. They could not buy or own an air pistol. That required a LTC. Looks like MA did make a tiny step in the right direction with regard to air gun ownership.

Back
Top Bottom