• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pellet gun range in back yard

Being a kid who grew up in a city all his life, I'd never have even pondered plinking targets or cans in my backyard while living in Hyde Park or Lowell. Now I live in the middle of the woods with conservation land behind the property and neighbors far apart.

I'm probably going to check in with the local cops, but is there any harm in me shooting targets in the back yard with a pellet gun?

Personally, I wouldn't even bother asking the local police. If its contained on your property there is no problem.
Is hunting allowed on the conservation land? If so then there is probably no harm in shooting in that direction. If not, and if you are worried about it then just make a backstop.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12B

No person shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or so-called BB gun into, from or across any street, alley, public way or railroad or railway right of way
That is the only restriction on the discharge of bb/pellet guns that I am aware of.

ETA: As per yanici's post below, I guess you need to check your local bylaws and ordinances as well. Although if you truly live in the middle of the woods, with almost 0% chance of anyone noticing, I'd probably just do it anyways....

Last edited:
I would say no problem, I have a quarter acre with 3 immediate neighbors and I shoot mine all the time.

I would advise anyone who plans on shooting airguns in their yard to go down to the Town/City Hall and check your local ordinances and bylaws. My town does not allow discharge of firearms or of any projectile powered by air or a gas. This would include paintball guns by definition.

Just be sure of what you're doing, especially if you're in a non-green town that might want to yank your LTC for an airgun infraction.

Out where my sister lives in Western MA, virtually all her neighbors have 'ranges' in their backyards. The houses are far apart with lots of woods in between. Pistols, rifles, air guns, black powder - might hear any of 'em on the weekend - and then there's the gravel pit down the road...
Have fun plinking!

Back
Top Bottom