Pelican 1170 legal and safe for home gun storage

Would a Pelican 1170 be suitable for home pistol storage in MA? Legal and safe if used in conjunction with a tamper resistant pad lock? Suitable for transport in your car?

Would a Pelican 1170 be suitable for home pistol storage in MA? Legal and safe if used in conjunction with a tamper resistant pad lock? Suitable for transport in your car?
A simple trigger lock.....or cable lock .... is sufficient for home.storage. there is no requirement to use a safe.....container.....or locker of any sort for home storage. Gun just needs to be made unusable by anyone unauthorized to possess a fire arm. So a pelican case is way above and beyond the requirement.

As far as transport in your car.....a handgun in direct control of the ltc holder is sufficient. Range bag.....on the seat next to me is how I transport if the gun isn't holstered on my side.

Last edited:
A simple trigger lock.....or cable lock .... is sufficient for home.storage. there is no requirement to use a safe.....container.....or locker of any sort for home storage. Gun just needs to be made unusable by anyone unauthorized to possess a fire arm. So a pelican case is way above and beyond the requirement.

As far as transport in your car.....a handgun in direct control of the ltc holder is sufficient. Range bag.....on the seat next to me is how I transport if the gun isn't holstered on my side.
Transport = must be in locked container or locked trunk if not on your person. Most police will claim that the range bag on the seat is insufficient, claiming that it isn't under your "direct control". It's an iffy situation which will cost thousands in legal fees to sort out, so not the best decision.

Transport = must be in locked container or locked trunk if not on your person. Most police will claim that the range bag on the seat is insufficient, claiming that it isn't under your "direct control". It's an iffy situation which will cost thousands in legal fees to sort out, so not the best decision.

I put a TSA lock on my range bag at home, so I just throw that in the car.

Thanks for the responses. Pretty new to this stuff so this is very helpful.

I was just trying to clear up what a locked container in MA really means. Does this mean a bombproof steel gun vault, or sealable flimsy plastic container with freshness locked in.

How often does mass see ltc holders get pinched and convicted of transport law violation for a ltc holder on the way to the gun club with a range bag on the seat next to them?

Serious question......I'm not being an ass.

I was just trying to clear up what a locked container in MA really means. Does this mean a bombproof steel gun vault, or sealable flimsy plastic container with freshness locked in.
Well......it doesn't matter what constitutes a locked container for storage in the home as there is no requirement to store a gun in a locked container in the home. A trigger or cable lock then tossed in a drawer or even left on the table is "legal".

How often does mass see ltc holders get pinched and convicted of transport law violation for a ltc holder on the way to the gun club with a range bag on the seat next to them?

Serious question......I'm not being an ass.
Serious answer is that nobody knows. Damn near everything gets pled out to a lesser charge. And district & superior court cases in MA aren't documented in a way that makes them searchable outside of the particular courthouse.

But the cost of a lock is a helluva lot cheaper than a lawyer, just in case . . .

Read the law and try to see what the definition of container is. You’ll discover its undefined.
That means any locked container is GTG...

Why wouldn’t it be?

Question followed with a question :)
Well......it doesn't matter what constitutes a locked container for storage in the home as there is no requirement to store a gun in a locked container in the home. A trigger or cable lock then tossed in a drawer or even left on the table is "legal".

Is this accurate? I understand in other states it may be fine BUT I’m talking about MA. Please tell me I’m wrong

Question followed with a question :)

Is this accurate? I understand in other states it may be fine BUT I’m talking about MA. Please tell me I’m wrong
Your wrong.
You should read the law for yourself rather than ask on NES......be told what the law is.....then question it.

The gun laws of mass can all be found online.

Last edited:
Thanks man. Appreciate that, skin growing thicker with every post. Can’t wait to ask the members the next question regarding ammunition storage.
I'll save you the bother.

Go to my sub-forum under Training and read the sticky on ammo storage. Since I posted that there has been a minor modification on allowed quantities but as a newbie none of that will impact you.

Back
Top Bottom