Pelham IDPA tag along

I'm not a member of Pelham Fish & Game or IDPA, but I'm interested in both. After checking out the IDPA site and some threads here, I think it could be something rewarding for me and with the added benefits of being a good training aid/motivator. Would it be possible to visit a Pelham Fish & Game IDPA Pistol event as a guest/observer?, and if so, would anyone here mind letting me tag along with you some day and maybe giving me a view of both?

I'm not a member of Pelham Fish & Game or IDPA, but I'm interested in both. After checking out the IDPA site and some threads here, I think it could be something rewarding for me and with the added benefits of being a good training aid/motivator. Would it be possible to visit a Pelham Fish & Game IDPA Pistol event as a guest/observer?, and if so, would anyone here mind letting me tag along with you some day and maybe giving me a view of both?

The public is welcome at most IDPA events at Pelham Fish and Game. Just show up.

After watching for 5 minutes you're going to wish you had just brought your stuff and participated (If you are comfortable and safe with your own gun).

If you're a new shooter and new to guns and unfamiliar with your own gun then I think observation would be good.

Read the rules, show up and let them know you are brand new. They will take care of you. Be safe.

fish and game website says 7-5 PM for IDPA.
also says outdoor ranges are open for shooting at 8AM
And then I read somewhere else that registration is from 8:30-11.

wtf?

wtf?

I think 8:30am - 11am registration is correct. First shot at 9:00am.

How do you have first shot before registration is over?

Maybe they do it differently there than at Harvard.

I guess it is a soft start, if you show up between 8:30am-11:00am - you shoot. I believe they run IDPA matches same way in Pioneer (Dunbarton, NH). I think it is actually pretty convenient.

If only WPRC had their match start at 8:00am - then you could shoot both if you wanted! [grin]

wtf?

Enough questions- go already! Like Glockby said- it's a rolling registration- as long as you get there by 11AM you can shoot! If you get there early enough and finish before 11AM, you can shoot twice... I think it's only like $5 the 2nd time round. I wish I could go...

Enough questions- go already! Like Glockby said- it's a rolling registration- as long as you get there by 11AM you can shoot! If you get there early enough and finish before 11AM, you can shoot twice... I think it's only like $5 the 2nd time round. I wish I could go...

I did not do well.

there seem to be a lot of verbal "Are you kidding me?".

I like the was Pelham runs IDPA..."which way are you going to turn?...."

Why would I get a technical for dropping an empty mag? You only have to do reloads with retention if you have rounds left in the mag. Empty mag... drop it and leave it. Unless I've missed a rule. [smile]

there seem to be a lot of verbal "Are you kidding me?".

I like the was Pelham runs IDPA..."which way are you going to turn?...."

Hey, when he doesn't knock down any of the poppers... I get to verbally abuse him. [smile]

Why would I get a technical for dropping an empty mag? You only have to do reloads with retention if you have rounds left in the mag. Empty mag... drop it and leave it. Unless I've missed a rule. [smile]
If you have one in the chamber (slide forward) and drop an empty magazine it's a speed reload and you get a procedural. You shot 11 rounds (2-3-2-2-2, I think) before you dropped your magazine so you are okay.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Correct... I was at slide lock before reloading. 2-3-2-2-2. I forgot about the speed reload rule though! Thanks John [grin]

I had to watch Hanwei's video to figure out what the course of fire was. [rofl]

What's with the SO's hands on stage two?

I had to watch Hanwei's video to figure out what the course of fire was. [rofl]

Looks like he was playing basketball huh. Maybe just instinct? I wondered as well when I was beginning the stage whether he was supposed to be catching something I dropped.

Looks like he was playing basketball huh. Maybe just instinct? I wondered as well when I was beginning the stage whether he was supposed to be catching something I dropped.

I would guess Scott does it as a precautionary measure for stages where shooter starts facing up range. Just in case somebody decides to draw then turn. [grin]

This is a hold over from T.A.G., if the RO needs to take control of the muzzle they won't be able to if they are holding a timer in one hand and with the other by their side.

BTW Tactical Arts Group is at Pelham F&G on Monday nights now, shooting usually starts at 6 and goes on until 1/2 hour after sunset.

P41 of IDPA handbook...if they call for a Tactical Reload, you must retain mag, even if it's empty.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=548251&highlight=idpa+reload#post548251

This would be true if I had a round in the chamber still, which I didn't. I had shot to slide lock. Additionally, as far as I know, that stage did not require a tactical reload. So when I shot to slide lock, I dropped it, reloaded, and continued.

[grin]

side note: even if the stage calls for a tactical reload... I believe the one exception to that is if you have shot the gun dry and to slide lock. Then you may do an emergency reload (Page 42 of the IDPA handbook). If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Last edited:
side note: even if the stage calls for a tactical reload... I believe the one exception to that is if you have shot the gun dry and to slide lock. Then you may do an emergency reload (Page 42 of the IDPA handbook). If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
If a specific type of reload is specified in the CoF, you must do that reload (tactical reloads and reloads with retention are interchangeable). A slide lock reload is not a TR or RwR.

You would have to retain the magazine even if empty and at slide lock.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Interesting. Thank you for the correction John. I could have sworn an SO at a Harvard match told me differently... but I know how good you are about following the rules to the letter [grin]

Back
Top Bottom