• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pelham Fish & Game Club Land Sale

I realize they probably do not know who did those things, but why punish everyone else. Let us know, but don't close stuff down. Don't treat everyone as irresponsible by closing ranges.

This is why there is so much back and forth about having cameras at the ranges. Everyone makes a mistake now and again, but there are always the repeat offenders that don't care and those are the ones that need to be shown the door and told never to come back. If that happens enough people would start to smarten up. Until there is a reliable way to determine who the responsible party is, this will continue to happen. I personally don't care if someone wants to tape/watch me shoot. It's something happening at one of the clubs I belong to already. I get though that to some, that is a big violation to them.

I've heard so many sh*tty things about Pelham I have never even thought about joining or asking to be brought in as a guest

I went to a gun show / swap meet there in 2006 iirc, my only time there

PF&G offers some things that can be hard to find in the area. I like that they have a 600-yard range, and a 200-yard range that you can shoot at alone. I think 600 is only used for organized events, which makes sense (people take turns pulling targets).

I was first introduced to PF&G because of an event put on there by NEShooters (Jim Conway). It was a weekend-long seminar with nationally well-known firearms trainers, called The Summit.

They haven't done it in a while, though, and their website doesn't appear to be active. I went three times, and I learned a lot of great stuff. This was the line-up of 2012 instructors, in no particular order:

Rob Pincus - Combat Focus Shooting, handgun

Southnarc - Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC)

Claude Werner - Snubbies

Paul Gomez - AK

Chris Fry - Bilateral and Support Hand Only Pistol

Wes Doss - Shotgun

Kelly Verden - AR

William April - Violent Actors (the psychology of why they attack)

Bill Lewitt - Tactical Medicine

Some instructors were there most years, but there were also many others not listed above. I really appreciated PF&G for hosting.

Nothing like that training opportunity has happened at Pelham in a while, AFAIK, but I always thought that was because NEShooters (different from northeastshooters) went away, not because the club itself had changed. The handling of this land vote thing is the first real red flag that I've seen since I joined a few years ago.

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

I have been a member at Pelham for 6yrs I think. For the record, voted no on land sale before I saw this thread. I just don't have time in this stage of my life to spend much time on NES. I think they could use that land for archery. Possibly move archery to that area instead of selling it.

Your not wrong on the idiot thing. Unfortunately, that is just something that most shooting orgs have to deal with. My issue is that when someone does something dangerous or destructive, all the members get a finger wagging email and sometimes a range is shut down until further notice. Why do the rest of the members have to pay a price when it is like one or two who should be held accountable? Recently they shut down the steel end bay for handguns because someone shoot across at and angle. Also the archery 3-D range was recently shut because someone was shooting a handgun there. The "caretakers house" is just beyond the archery range as well as the utility range drive. No berm with only a small patch of trees seporating the areas.

I realize they probably do not know who did those things, but why punish everyone else. Let us know, but don't close stuff down. Don't treat everyone as irresponsible by closing ranges.
Pelham doesn't have cameras? Cpfg installed them everywhere years ago and the vast majority of bullshitery went away

Pelham doesn't have cameras? Cpfg installed them everywhere years ago and the vast majority of bullshitery went away
Not that I've ever seen, at least on the ranges. My MA club has cameras and has used them to identify asshats.

On the flip side, I don't love being filmed shooting, but like waivers, it's a fairly common practice now.

Cameras aren't on ranges so somebody can spy on you while you shoot. They're there so if something f***y happens, they might be able to see who was there and know who might be responsible for said f***y happenings.
I know that's the intended purpose but as I've posted (and others have attested), I've had enough sh*tty occurrences of past BOD members coming up to "inspect" things at Pelham that it's not hard to imagine certain folks, if they had access to the cameras, using them to bust peoples' balls.

Are they going to keep discussing it until they can convince everyone?

I'd watch out for a change to the bylaws or a special exception so this specific issue can be passed with a simple majority and not 2/3. On the other side of the coin having been an the BOD or a club officer at WSA for a long time the board could be discussing and putting to bed the issue. They also could be starting a serious discussion on how to finance building the range without selling the real estate.

Wait. I can't remember if members are allowed to attend BoD meetings.
I don't know about Pelham. At most clubs, members are welcome unless the BOD goes into executive session. They might go into executive session for things like discussing what to do about a member caught breaking the rules, or legal issues, etc.

Guess we'll see come December 15th. Single dumbest thing a club can do is sell off property. Not only do you reduce land area but you invite new neighbors that then can/will become your enemies in the future. Judging from the Fudd idiot I met there a couple of weeks ago, this sale thinking isn't a surprise at all.

#dumbasses

I don't know about Pelham. At most clubs, members are welcome unless the BOD goes into executive session. They might go into executive session for things like discussing what to do about a member caught breaking the rules, or legal issues, etc.
This is exactly how we handle bod meetings. Members are allowed to come as an audience anytime. If they wish to speak during a bod meeting or bring up a proposal to the board they need to contact the secretary at least 48 hours prior to the meeting to be put on the agenda. Executive sessions were rare but did happen. They were usually done at the end of the meeting and any regular members were asked to leave. A motion is entertained, seconded and voted on to enter executive session. At that time no notes are recorded by the secretary until a vote is made to come out of executive session. Those sessions were reserved for discussions related to members that had safety violations and what disciplinary actions to take. They were done in executive session to keep it private.

Back
Top Bottom