• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pelham Fish & Game Club Land Sale

Funny that this land issue should come up. Many, many years ago, The old farmer that had the property behind the Billerica Rod and Gun Club came to the club and asked them to buy his property as he was, due to his age giving up farming. Well, The club in their short sightedness declined. So a builder bought the property and now Billerica Rod & Gun is a shadow of itself.

So too whoever the brainiac is, that came with this plan really needs to see a shrink.

All this discussion makes me wonder where Clubs & Ranges will be in 10, 20, 50 years. Driven underground?

There are a lot of examples everywhere.

5 minutes of Googling. There are a ton of examples. I would distribute stuff like this to the entire club.

Spend some money, coming to Pelham soon:

Did the lawyer work for free on this one?

Look at this beta:

Collection of articles:

Add Sharon F&G, Massapoag Sportsmen's Club, Mansfield F&G, Londonderry F&G to the list.

Wow. I didn't realize there are so many!

I think it would be best if there were a group of like-minded people presenting these issues to the membership at the October 11 meeting.

I'm also concerned that most club members don't go to the meetings, so it's possible this could pass by absentee ballot even if everyone at the meeting were convinced it's a bad idea.

I don't know who is championing this land sale, but I suppose it would be best to convince them that it wouldn't be good for the club long-term. How to do that, I don't know.

Wow. I didn't realize there are so many!

I think it would be best if there were a group of like-minded people presenting these issues to the membership at the October 11 meeting.

I'm also concerned that most club members don't go to the meetings, so it's possible this could pass by absentee ballot even if everyone at the meeting were convinced it's a bad idea.

I don't know who is championing this land sale, but I suppose it would be best to convince them that it wouldn't be good for the club long-term. How to do that, I don't know.

i am nit a meber, but here is an idea:

How to do that:

- I would convince the board this issue can have a large impact on the future of the club, therefore it should be Emailed to everyone.

In that Email there should be a chart highlighting the PROs vs CONs of selling land.

That Email should also contain an easy to read, high level presentation with each case.

That is all I can think of.

This is a lot more serious than discussing when to schedule a work party or when to schedule range maintenance. It should not be left to the handful of people that show up to a meeting without making every effort to make sure EVERYONE knows about this.

When that Email goes out to everyone, I would reply ALL with additional cases AGAINST selling the land and how important it is for people to show up and vote against it. It should be high level, bullet points, easy to read, don't type an essay.

Pelham is a reasonable town, but there is no way in hell I'd sell off land that is part of an established club..... the list of negatives is too long for me to type.
Years ago they had the chance to buy the property later developed to build relatively expensive homes. Not long after they were built complaints started coming in. The land sold will be developed and the same thing will happen.

While I'm not a member we talked about this during some downtime at last weekend event at Sig with some members. I would think about it long and hard as once it's gone you aren't getting it back. At some point development with become so numerous that their complaints will over shadow a club's ability to deflect them.

Politicians change and they look at one thing...how many voters in that town are on each side. Want to bet the residents in those homes win.

Unless they are getting several million for the property, the cost of a new indoor range facility won't be covered by the sale.

My 2 cents. Good luck. That's a great club.

So I see on the town bulletin board an application to replace the caretakers old mobile home with a new one.

2 bed. 2 bath, and a new septic system

So I see on the town bulletin board an application to replace the caretakers old mobile home with a new one.

2 bed. 2 bath, and a new septic system

I wonder if that is connected to this proposed land sale!

I can't go to the previously mentioned Fall Clean Up Day tomorrow, but maybe some others here can, and that would be a good time to talk to people about these issues in a low-key way. It would also be great to find out who is pushing for this sale. Is it the BOD, or other members, or both?

If anybody finds out any more information, please post it here (or PM me).

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

Looks like less of a problem than in other areas of the state.
View attachment 665520
(Not taking a shot at you)

This is a shortsighted way of looking at it.

1. Just because an area is red does not mean everyone thinks the same. Example, all the FUDDS that don't give a sh*t about your "assault" rifle and would be OK with the gov banning them yet they own guns.

2. You cannot predict what the surrounding area will look like in 5, 10, 15, 20 years from now. The club might be "safe" for the next 15-20 years, maybe long enough for most of the members today to be dead, but what about the future generation?

3. Related to #2 - if they put the club in a vulnerable position and people succeed in shutting it down or forcing it to make changes, the same argument will be used to go after other clubs, therefore you are f*cking over multiple people and clubs.

4. As mentioned above, you need ONE a**hole home owner to start complaining and things go to sh*t. Ask Granby or Monadnock about that.

Maps with colors mean nothing. Most of MA is blue yet we have gun ranges everywhere. We have more gun ranges than a lot of red States.

I'm not seeing a lot of passion, organization, or commitment to action. I think this vote will go the wrong way.

I'll point out that even though folks may vote red, doesn't mean they are 2A friendly.

And outside of us shooters many folks don't want to listen to ranges, and many will happily jump on an anti-noise bandwagon.

Keep as much Buy as much more buffer space as you can....

FIFY.

Last edited:
Bump... meeting tomorrow night.

The next BOD meeting is Tuesday, October 11th at 6:30 pm
The next Member meeting is Immediately following BOD meeting

All members wearing and displaying a current badge are welcome.

Club members need to get their "NO" vote in by Monday, the 24th, so it's time to mail them if you haven't already!

I wrote an explanation on my ballot that summarizes the concerns brought up in this thread.

Club members need to get their "NO" vote in by Monday, the 24th, so it's time to mail them if you haven't already!

I wrote an explanation on my ballot that summarizes the concerns brought up in this thread.

View attachment 674729

I was wondering what was happening. Any idea on how the voting is going. Does it have BOD approval and they are pushing for the sale?

I was wondering what was happening. Any idea on how the voting is going. Does it have BOD approval and they are pushing for the sale?

No idea.

I'm bumping this at a different time of day hoping to reach more people. The deadline to have your vote in their hands is in 5 days.

View attachment 674729
Writing in the ballot won't make a difference. These people put it to a vote, I am assuming a majority of the board is in favor or at least 50/50 (however the club works).

Writing in the ballot won't make a difference. These people put it to a vote, I am assuming a majority of the board is in favor or at least 50/50 (however the club works).

For something as important as this it should require a 2/3 majority. I know at WSA when we vote on capital expenditures that exceed a certain amount the vote has to be 2/3 in favor.

For something as important as this it should require a 2/3 majority. I know at WSA when we vote on capital expenditures that exceed a certain amount the vote has to be 2/3 in favor.
There you go. The board made up its mind.

The time for noise was during meetings, sending Emails, showing up and giving a one pager with bullet points to everyone that was shooting at the time. That is what I would have done (all 3).

Not to derail but just a question.
Do clubs ever do anything to mitigate noise on outdoor ranges?
Seems that would be easiest and least expensive measure to extend life expectancy.

There you go. The board made up its mind.

I don't know how Pelham works. I know at WSA the board will take a vote but that does not mean it passes. When discussed before the general membership the members will be told the board voted in favor of this or not in favor. The decision of the board bears no actual weight and each board member will be allowed to vote with the membership. We've had cases where the membership went against the board.

Back
Top Bottom