Pelham Fish & Game Club Land Sale

I agree with the first half.

Again, we now have a copy of the letter. It's not an in-person vote. It's mail-in (with all the attendant comments about mail-in votes).
Shooting organizations have been known to come up with contorted interpretations of their own rules to obtain the outcome they want, regardless of the intent at the time the rule was passed. I've seen this done in cases where the rule was much clearer than the 2/3 voting members rule being discussed.

Last edited:
Shooting organizations have been known to come up with contorted interpretations of their own rules to obtain the outcome they want, regardless of the intent at the time the rule was passed. I've seen the done in cases where the rule was much clearer than the 2/3 voting members rule being discussed.
Yes. We're agreed on that part.

Any established club or range selling off property is begging for future problems.

This is similar to the clubs that limited memberships by "sponsorship only" membership for many decades. Eventually their memberships declined, operating capital declined, and operating costs increased. Those clubs should have been accepting new members all along, building up their funds and purchasing any and all adjacent land parcels as they became available.
That is how you prevent Karens from moving in and building right near the range and then getting together, harassing the club/range and eventually petitioning the local or state government to get the range closed down.

The short sightedness of some fudd run clubs and ranges never ceases to amaze me.
I disagree with you on sponsor only membership causing long term problems. Our club has had sponsor program for 20 plus years and our membership numbers have nit suffered at all and we have a very healthy bank account and no mortgage.

Not a well known piece of history when WSA moved to Bedford in the early 60s we had the current land and 200+ acres across the Middlesex Tpnk. That land was being used by the Boy Scouts as Camp Oak. The club stupidity sold all the land to the Boy Scouts for $1. In the mid 70s the Boy Scouts sold the land for big $$ and that is how Oak Park the office park was built. Many times the current club leadership has wondered what the hell the old leadership was thinking about.

Never sell land. Bad idea.

Increase dues, add a surcharge, borrow money. Do anything but sell that land.
Expand the club with the land, make some very attractive offerings to recruit new club members and activity. Increase dues as normal, then eventually construct the perfect indoor heated range where you want it. But it hurts to think about the negatives of selling the land. God isn't making any more land. But is allowing us to build unlimited indoor heated ranges.

No, there's no building there than can be retrofitted. A bulk piece of land may net less than 200K per acre but in any event with building costs having gone through the roof it wouldn't take long to go through 8M. It's going to be a nice facility no doubt. The long term affects of more neighbors is a real concern no doubt.

All members in good standing get to vote. It takes a 2/3rds majority to pass.
Open a gun store on the main street with a shooting range , charge per hour, sell ammo at increased prices, rent firearms, advertise training classes, make people want to come from miles away to have fun.

Build a huge trout pond, keep it stocked, charge a little more for the membership.

Folks keep saying 75 yard.

That photographed note says 75 feet. 25 yards is cool, but not 40 acres of otherwise undeveloped wilderness cool.
I don't care if it's a hundred yard indoor range it still isn't worth dumping land for. Not with all these Mega douchebag types running around buying a big swath of land and putting a bunch of s***** houses on them often so close together they can smell their neighbors armpits....

Indoor ranges are overrated, they are everywhere. Not worth the future of the club.

They're not everywhere.. and 90% of the indoor private club ranges in new england are absolute gutter trash, with a handful of exceptions..... but it's /still/ not worth selling land over. Especially not buffer land like that which keeps retards away. Never. If i was a member there I'd still vote no. Selling something you can never recover from is always a bad move.

I don't care if it's a hundred yard indoor range it still isn't worth dumping land for. Not with all these Mega douchebag types running around buying a big swath of land and putting a bunch of s***** houses on them often so close together they can smell their neighbors armpits....
Definitely. I didn't mean to imply that it was. I still don't understand what they could possibly mean by "we can't use it." Even if it is 100% protected wetlands, you can use it by letting your members hunt the property. You could teach Hunter Ed and safety classes. You could use it as campsites and even rent them to the public...collecting income that could (eventually) pay for the new range that only needs a quarter acre under it.

I let my membership at PFGC lapse this year. It’s a great club but I decided to just stick with one F&G closer to me when I retired this year. I’ll probably end up regretting that…

Yes, an indoor 100yd range would be cool. But any new development nearby can backfire in ways not presently thought possible.

They're not everywhere.. and 90% of the indoor private club ranges in new england are absolute gutter trash, with a handful of exceptions..... but it's /still/ not worth selling land over. Especially not buffer land like that which keeps retards away. Never. If i was a member there I'd still vote no. Selling something you can never recover from is always a bad move.
The fact the idea was brought up to a vote means someone needs to do something to change the leadership of the club.

If they sell the land their days are numbered! Here at Southborough Rod and Gun we have dealt with the antis on many occasions . So far we have prevailed but did lose our 200 yd range. When developers build new homes even if there is a statement in the buyers purchase and sale agreement. that there is a gun club doesn't mean diddly squat! Selling the land for capital to build a indoor range sounds great but when the libtards shut you down it is of no use!! Beware Southern New Hampshire has been invaded by libtards and they bring their agenda with them!

The fact the idea was brought up to a vote means someone needs to do something to change the leadership of the club.
I know a bunch of people who have fled that place over the years for this reason or that there's obviously some major corrosive elements going on there. Even the bigs can get ruined by bad leadership. It's like what happened to Ames and a couple of other significant ma ranges.

Selling that land is such an incredibly bad idea that I can't even wrap my mind around who would be in favor of it.

If I were a member of the club I would demand to have a roll call vote on the board and Club officers on who is in favor of this and who was not. I would then begin a recall proceedings against any board member or Club officer that was in favor of this. If the club by laws have no Provisions for a recall proceeding then I would try and get a vote of no confidence against them.

This is concerning. I received a ballot in the mail, as I assume all members did, but I wonder if the issues presented in this thread were talked about at the meeting when this motion was passed. I'm sure most of the PF&G club members do not belong to NES and will not see this thread. Possibly, most of them are totally unaware of the dangers that exist.

The next BOD meeting is Tuesday, October 11th at 6:30 pm
The next Member meeting is Immediately following BOD meeting
All members wearing and displaying a current badge are welcome.

Any NES members who are also members of PF&G and would like to attend this meeting together to present the issues being discussed here to the rest of the membership, feel free to PM me.

The following may also be a time when members could raise concerns individually with others in a less formal way:

Fall Clean up day is Saturday Sept 24th, we need lots of Volunteers, please bring weedwackers, rakes both grass and dirt, lopers, chainsaws, mowers if possible.

Great time to get your work hours in before renewal.

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

This is concerning. I received a ballot in the mail, as I assume all members did, but I wonder if the issues presented in this thread were talked about at the meeting when this motion was passed. I'm sure most of the PF&G club members do not belong to NES and will not see this thread. Possibly, most of them are totally unaware of the dangers that exist.

Any NES members who are also members of PF&G and would like to attend this meeting together to present the issues being discussed here to the rest of the membership, feel free to PM me.

The following may also be a time when members could raise concerns individually with others in a less formal way:

View attachment 663238
I would put together a list of every club that had issues with neighbors and a couple of bullet points under each with a high level overview of what happened.

Clubs like Westwood, Braintree, Granby, Monadnock, Reading ...

I would put together a list of every club that had issues with neighbors and a couple of bullet points under each with a high level overview of what happened.

Clubs like Westwood, Braintree, Granby, Monadnock, Reading ...

I think theres another club in Hollis NH that got f***ed too over some neighbor bullshit. (this was a decade ago, but still)

I think theres another club in Hollis NH that got f***ed too over some neighbor bullshit. (this was a decade ago, but still)
There are a lot of examples everywhere.

5 minutes of Googling. There are a ton of examples. I would distribute stuff like this to the entire club.

Spend some money, coming to Pelham soon:

Did the lawyer work for free on this one?

Look at this beta:

Collection of articles:

The club in Dudley, MA was shut down because the court found that the club could not prove continuous operation of a number of years prior to the complaints, therefore, not covered under the noise grandfathering law. The plaintiff answered in the affirmative at a deposition when asked if he had one or more operatives join the club for the purpose of gathering information to use against the club's effort to stay open.

The club in Dudley, MA was shut down because the court found that the club could not prove continuous operation of a number of years prior to the complaints, therefore, not covered under the noise grandfathering law. The plaintiff answered in the affirmative at a deposition when asked if he had one or more operatives join the club for the purpose of gathering information to use against the club's effort to stay open.
At one club I belonged to, a family moved in to the neighborhood and one of the parents joined the club. I never saw him use the club. I suspected that he joined so that he could get inside information. If you are in a club leadership position, you should assume that club opponents have someone in the membership. So consider that carefully in all of your communications.

Last edited:
If its not already in the list, Wayland Rod and Gun gets to defend itself at town meeting every 5 or so years.
Southborough 20 or so years ago, round bonces over berm - ends up on the golf course or hitting a house or something. All stuff downrange of the firing line. Now the 200yd range is only 100yd.
Never give up land around a club. Nothing good can happen.

Wow!

Back
Top Bottom