Pelham Fish & Game Club Land Sale

HARRYM

NES Member
Members are being asked to vote on the sale of 39.2 acres of land on Pelham Road. I think they mean Old Pelham Road but no matter.

I'm kinda sorta familiar with where it is but not 100%.

I guess the land is not usable to the club and the proceeds will be used to build a heated 75 yd indoor range.

I like the range idea but selling land around a club can cause issues with new neighbors who don't like noise.

If anyone has pros and cons to bounce by me please feel free to PM me.

I would welcome the chance to hear more.

Thanks

Members are being asked to vote on the sale of 39.2 acres of land on Pelham Road. I think they mean Old Pelham Road but no matter.

I'm kinda sorta familiar with where it is but not 100%.

I guess the land is not usable to the club and the proceeds will be used to build a heated 75 yd indoor range.

I like the range idea but selling land around a club can cause issues with new neighbors who don't like noise.

If anyone has pros and cons to bounce by me please feel free to PM me.

I would welcome the chance to hear more.

Thanks
I could see the city .gov trying to close down/limit use of the outside ranges after construction on the 'promises were made to shoot indoors only'. No, i am not kidding. I wouldn't put it past ma**h***s moving to Pelham and try it.

I would love to see a clause that the sale in no way changes the operation of all existing and future ranges and operation of the club. Best of luck to any Pelham members.

Last edited:
Pelham F&G should hire an attorney both familiar and competent with land use regs and covenants . . . before they do anything. I'm sure there is a legal way to allow others to develop the property without giving up their rights to the club.

No way I'd sell land belonging to a gun club even if the land can't be used by the club. Anyone buying 40 acres is damn sure gonna build houses or condos. Why would a club want houses closer to the club? That acreage is buffer against neighbors and has value for that purpose.

My hunt ap shows Pelham owns 240 acres and that's a nice big piece of property. Why would they sell about 20% of the property just to have the chance of neighbors in the future?

Screenshot_20220913-184422_onX Hunt.jpg

Big mistake. Even with covenants, some c*nt will eventually move in and fake a broken window shot out at their house to cause problems for the club and then the opposition snowballs against the club once a bunch of suburbanite twats hit the panic button on living near a club.

Off topic, I was actually going to join that club. Do you know if they allow visitors to tour?

If I win the lottery I’m buying the entire suburban street that is closest to my club. They complain constantly. Realtors somehow forgot to mention the gun range next door when the residents bought their houses.

I wish they never sold it.

My gut is don't do it.

But, if you do the club not only needs to understand the value of the land if put on the open market, but the value to the buyer. For example, a one square yard parcel of land at $250,000 per acre works out to about $51.

But.... if that one square yard is strategically located so that a builder suddenly has the frontage necessary for N+1 houses on land he owns next to club property instead of N houses, it's suddenly worth tens of thousands. Yeah, I know that example probably does not apply here but if he sees a $2M profit opportunity by developing the land, your price should include a reasonable cut of the action.

An IBM VP told me their company would set up shells to buy land in towns where they wanted to put up a building, because they knew the price would go way up if the owner discovered IBM wanted the land. Check the zoning, find out exactly what is permitted, and assume the worst case.

And above all else hire an attorney who knows this stuff, and make sure you set enough from the sale aside to pay the legal fees when you have to fend off the new occupants who want to shut the club down.

Of, just don't do it.

If I win the lottery I’m buying the entire suburban street that is closest to my club. They complain constantly. Realtors somehow forgot to mention the gun range next door when the residents bought their houses.

I wish they never sold it.
Proactive action regarding future sales can minimize the chances of this happening, and put the realtor in the hot seat if they do not mention it.

That's why I left Methuen R&G. Years ago, we had an incident where a Somerville firefighter, playing golf in Dracut, was hit and bruised by a .45 ACP round that he and his attorney claimed was fired from Methuen R&G, 2 miles away. Ballistically impossible, but put the club on the defensive from a legal standpoint. Costs money to defend such bullshit!
No way I'd sell land belonging to a gun club even if the land can't be used by the club. Anyone buying 40 acres is damn sure gonna build houses or condos. Why would a club want houses closer to the club? That acreage is buffer against neighbors and has value for that purpose.

Houses in Pelham are going for stupid money, now granted Pelahm is on well and septic, and there is supposed to be one acre zoning, but they have been stuffing a lot of 55 plus housing in and it is high density stuff.

200K an acre in Pelham for raw land is about the norm

How much are they selling it for?
I wouldn't take it as a gift. Any amount is selling us out to the Ma**h*** antis who migrated north and took their wacky political views with them. That would be step one. Step two? Complain about noise and shut club down. Liberal anti gun mission accomplished.

I wouldn't take it as a gift. Any amount is selling us out to the Ma**h*** antis who migrated north and took their wacky political views with them. That would be step one. Step two? Complain about noise and shut club down. Liberal anti gun mission accomplished.

If it’s a good deal maybe I’ll buy it, but technically I’d be migrating south…

If you buy it, please think of us and act accordingly. A nice indoor range that accommodates center fire rifles would be a much welcomed facility!

$200k an acre is a bit steep for me. I’m curious what they’re actually voting to sell it for (and to who.)

I’ve shot a lot of matches there over the years and it’s a nice club. Would be cool to live “on the green” so to speak.

$200k an acre is a bit steep for me. I’m curious what they’re actually voting to sell it for (and to who.)

I’ve shot a lot of matches there over the years and it’s a nice club. Would be cool to live “on the green” so to speak.
My devout hope and prayer is that some well organized and well funded anti gun group doesn't get their greedy paws on it for the sole purpose of shutting down the club permanently.

ironic that they are thinking of selling considering when I was a member they talked about canobie lake gun club being zoned out in this manner and that they have all the land as a buffer. I guess money talks. dumb idea

Back
Top Bottom