• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pelham Fish & Game Club Land Sale

Not to derail but just a question.
Do clubs ever do anything to mitigate noise on outdoor ranges?
Seems that would be easiest and least expensive measure to extend life expectancy.
That's much easier said than done.

Many clubs are near wetlands, because that land was cheap. The best way to mitigate noise would be to build berms or walls surrounding the range. Building near wetlands is difficult and expensive. Most clubs don't have a lot of money lying around.

Not to derail but just a question.
Do clubs ever do anything to mitigate noise on outdoor ranges?
Seems that would be easiest and least expensive measure to extend life expectancy.
IMHO it is not the noise that gets the neighbors pissed off, it is "stray rounds" and many of those alleged stray rounds could not possibly have made it from the firing line to the house they allegedly struck, especially when the brass is still attached to the bullet

That's much easier said than done.

Many clubs are near wetlands, because that land was cheap. The best way to mitigate noise would be to build berms or walls surrounding the range. Building near wetlands is difficult and expensive. Most clubs don't have a lot of money lying around.
No but they usually have a lawyer on stand by when you publicly question them on building a wall-less shack for more than your house costs, especially after the President shows up in a new Silverado.

No but they usually have a lawyer on stand by when you publicly question them on building a wall-less shack for more than your house costs, especially after the President shows up in a new Silverado.
I don’t know what you are talking about.

I was familiar with the finances of one club while I was an officer. While we had legal advice, that was because one of our active members was an attorney and he did work for the club pro bono. I never saw unnecessary expenditures or money spent unwisely. I’m sure that’s not necessarily the case at all clubs, but most aren’t rolling in dough.

I can tell you that at that particular club, building walls around the outdoor range would have been very expensive if we could get the permits. But given that the range is adjacent to wetlands, I believe it would be very unlikely that they could get permits to build such walls.

I don’t know what you are talking about.

I was familiar with the finances of one club while I was an officer. While we had legal advice, that was because one of our active members was an attorney and he did work for the club pro bono. I never saw unnecessary expenditures or money spent unwisely. I’m sure that’s not necessarily the case at all clubs, but most aren’t rolling in dough.

I can tell you that at that particular club, building walls around the outdoor range would have been very expensive if we could get the permits. But given that the range is adjacent to wetlands, I believe it would be very unlikely that they could get permits to build such walls.
I wasn’t expecting you to.

Just making a quip about a different club that deserves better BoD members.

My line to the Fischer Investments guy: "You're probably new on the job, so let me explain something to you. They gave you a prospect list for cold calling to show how the firm has your back and supports you. What the failed to mention is that they have recycled names from prospects who have already said "not interested, no longer a prospect, remove from the list so your people do not waste any more time of yours or mine. I know you'll be very polite and tell me my name is removed, but Fisher will probably just pass it along to another new guy."

I gotta ask.

What does the club president’s personal vehicle have to do with the price of anything to do with the club?

For something as important as this it should require a 2/3 majority. I know at WSA when we vote on capital expenditures that exceed a certain amount the vote has to be 2/3 in favor.

That makes sense to me too, but they didn't state what majority is required (among many other important things). Only that once decided, it would take a 2/3 majority to divert funds away from "its intended use", which is building the new indoor range. The ballot was posted back on page 3, and that language is in the 4th paragraph:

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

That makes sense to me too, but they didn't state what majority is required (among many other important things). Only that once decided, it would take a 2/3 majority to divert funds away from "its intended use", which is building the new indoor range. The ballot was posted back on page 3, and that language is in the 4th paragraph:

View attachment 675712
It's clearly poorly written as the yes/no at the bottom are about the sale while the text above, as you note, is about the building.

View attachment 675712

I guess it would depend on the bylaws of the club. Someone who is a member of Pelham should get a copy of the bylaws and spend a few minutes looking through them to verify the process has been following the bylaws. If not then you could stop the process, for now, because it is violating the bylaws. My bet is that everything is OK. I find it hard to believe the Board would push this without making sure the rules were/are being followed.

I gotta ask.

What does the club president’s personal vehicle have to do with the price of anything to do with the club?
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Is there an insinuation in there about gun club board members using club money for personal use?
I hate crap like that. Come out and say what you mean or don't say it at all. Leaving hints about under-handed dealings doesn't help anything.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Is there an insinuation in there about gun club board members using club money for personal use?
I hate crap like that. Come out and say what you mean or don't say it at all. Leaving hints about under-handed dealings doesn't help anything.
Jealousy is my only thought.

Fun fact. Watched the club President back his club cabbed Silverado with an 8 foot bed (it really was a bus 😂) right into a trap team guests nearly new Porsche almost to the windshield. The guy purposely parked it away from all the other cars and trucks in the open away from the pine trees.
That raised some eyebrows and a unhappy owner.

I’ve already aired my thoughts and a thread was removed. Either you were there for the details or you weren’t. I could care less about his vehicle choice. I felt the amount quoted and accepted by the extremely low quorum needed for such a large purchase was suspect.

I’ve already aired my thoughts and a thread was removed. Either you were there for the details or you weren’t. I could care less about his vehicle choice. I felt the amount quoted and accepted by the extremely low quorum needed for such a large purchase was suspect.
If it was locked then why bring it up again?

No need to get another thread locked.

I'm away, but I'm wondering if anybody here is going to this:

Vote Counting (Land Sale Ballots)

Anyone who would like to observe the vote count is welcome to attend.

Saturday, October 29th 9:00am

It will probably take a while to count the ballots, so no need to get there right at 9:00am. If anybody goes or hears anything about the results, please report back!

It will probably take a while to count the ballots, so no need to get there right at 9:00am. If anybody goes or hears anything about the results, please report back!

View attachment 679500
Let’s hope the smarter people in room win.
What a stupid idea this was. Good luck!!

View attachment 679500
I got it too.

Won’t be attending tho.

I mailed my ballot, so I did my part

The count should be completed by now. I wonder how it went. Hopefully enough people understood the consequences of selling the land and it got voted down.

I kinda thought we'd hear something by now.

I wrote and politely asked what the results were, and I can imagine that many others did, as well. They must know that PF&G members are interested.

IMHO it is not the noise that gets the neighbors pissed off, it is "stray rounds" and many of those alleged stray rounds could not possibly have made it from the firing line to the house they allegedly struck, especially when the brass is still attached to the bullet
Actually it is the idea that people are shooting guns that pissed of neighbors.

Noise just seems louder when coming from guns.

That's me in the photo doing the shooting: Gun Ranges - Erich Thalheimer

And, of course the seminal work on the subject:

Back
Top Bottom