• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pediatrics for Parents: Every day...

Was just looking up some info on kids' mucus and tripped over this little bit at the end of the article. Where do they come off spouting this?

Pediatrics for Parents

Children's Facts

* Every day three American children die from child abuse. * Every day 15 American children die from gun shots. * Every day 27 American children die from poverty. * Every day 95 American babies die before their first birthday. * Every day 2,699 American babies are born into poverty. * Every day 3,356 American babies are born to unmarried women. * Every day 100,000 American children are homeless. * Every day 135,000 American children bring guns to school. * Every day 1.2 million American latchkey children arrive home to a house in which there is a gun.

COPYRIGHT 1995 Pediatrics for Parents, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group

"...what you tolerate, you deserve..." ~ Scrivener

So, if someone could provide me with facts, I'd write them and at least have my peace (or is it piece in this context?).

Every day 1.2 million American latchkey children arrive home to a house in which there is a gun.

At least they will have something to do besides playing those damn video games. [thinking]

B

I didn't mean "YOU". I guess it should say "ONE" instead of "YOU". I don't either, but found it on a google search and was looking at some info.

Basically make them drink lots of water to keep it thin and make them sleep a lot. Probably just allergies.

* Every day 135,000 American children bring guns to school.

I have to assume for this quote to be fact based, these kids must be caught with said guns on school property. If that is the case the logically the numbers are as follows:

180 school days per year multiplied by 135,000 kids caught carrying =
24,300,000 children arrested each year for carrying guns to school.
According to the US Census Bureau numbers for July 2006 there are approximately 53,317,926 children between the ages of 5 and 18 years old in the US hence suggesting that almost 46% or nearly half of school aged children have been caught carrying a gun to school. All of my numbers assume no repeat offenders as I am sure the juvenile justice system reforms them all on the first try.
Either their numbers are slightly off, or every major media outlet in the country is missing the best front-page story ever conceived [rofl]

Numerous large-scale empirical studies conclusively demonstrate that 63.7% (±2.4%) of all statistics are made up on the spur of the moment.

Ken

gee... i dont see how many kid die from drowning and how many arrive home with the dreaded SWIMMING POOLS and pass by EVIL PONDS.

Nor did I see how many die in car accidents and/or are killed by drunk drivers vs how many children are improperly belted in in cars?

over 75% of car safety seats are installed improperly

So, if someone could provide me with facts, I'd write them and at least have my peace (or is it piece in this context?).

Here ya go, mate: This website has the GunFacts ebook in several forms. Here's the PDF.

While I'm sure that they'll deny everything in there, if you don't try, you'll never succeed.

Don't ever reference any statistics to the NRA, GunFacts or any other source that might be dismissed as "biased". Go to something that all nannys believe infallible: the US government. To get anything even vaguely like the numbers the use for "child" gun deaths, they have to define everyone under 21 as children. Using that definition just for the sake of argument, the CDC shows that there were 1,132 accidental drowning deaths in 2004 (the most recent year for which complete data are available). In contrast, there were 168 accidental shooting deaths. Others include 206 accidental deaths on bicycles and tricycles (not mopeds of motor cycles), 956 accidental poisonings and 1,044 accidental suffocations.

Ken

Don't ever reference any statistics to the NRA, GunFacts or any other source that might be dismissed as "biased". Go to something that all nannys believe infallible: the US government. To get anything even vaguely like the numbers the use for "child" gun deaths, they have to define everyone under 21 as children. Using that definition just for the sake of argument, the CDC shows that there were 1,132 accidental drowning deaths in 2004 (the most recent year for which complete data are available). In contrast, there were 168 accidental shooting deaths. Others include 206 accidental deaths on bicycles and tricycles (not mopeds of motor cycles), 956 accidental poisonings and 1,044 accidental suffocations.

Ken
Ken Gun Facts gets their sources that they use from The CDC, FBI, National institute of Justice etc. They do use Govt. sources. They list their sources so they can be checked.

Ken Gun Facts gets their sources that they use from The CDC, FBI, National institute of Justice etc. They do use Govt. sources. They list their sources so they can be checked.

Doesn't matter in the least. Never reference them, since wussies will never believe that they aren't biased and can't be bothered to check for themselves. Get what will usually be the exact same numbers (unless more recent ones are available) from the sources they reference or similar ones, and attribute the information to those original sources.

Ken

Doesn't matter in the least. Never reference them, since wussies will never believe that they aren't biased and can't be bothered to check for themselves. Get what will usually be the exact same numbers (unless more recent ones are available) from the sources they reference or similar ones, and attribute the information to those original sources.

Ken
Ken that is why I pointed out that they use Govt. sources etc. so even if we are looking at Gun Facts when we list facts we state what the sources are not Gun Facts itself as the source.

Back
Top Bottom