PD is requesting a Naturalization Certificate for FID. I was never Naturalized.

In a bit of a unique situation. I was born outside of the United States, but immigrated when I was very young. My parents obtained citizenship via naturalization and since I was under 18 I became a citizen as well. My parents never applied for a Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-600) and my only proof of my citizenship is my US Passport. For those curious, you can apply for a passport (DS-11) with proof of derived citizenship (all the documents you'd need for an N-600).

I got a call from my police department saying that my application had been put on hold because I needed to provide a naturalization certificate since I was born outside of the United States. I offered to show a passport, but they stated that it could not be accepted since it "has an expiry date". Additionally, my police department (Billerica) does state on their website that to qualify for an FID: "A naturalized citizen within the above age restrictions (applicant must present proof of naturalization)". I was never naturalized.

I could apply for a Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-600), however, the average processing times for these applications are 1+ year. I do not want to wait a year just so I can exercise my constitutional right to bear arms. I'm quite confused because an FID is a shall-issue license and besides naturalization, all other qualifications for obtaining the license are met. What action can I take?

A permanent resident is afforded the same rights in 2a as a citizen. From what I understood anyway. Im not a lawyer. But I know green card holders with ltc's

I would contact @Comm2A they won in court against Boston for pulling the same nonsense.

A permanent resident is afforded the same rights in 2a as a citizen. From what I understood anyway. Im not a lawyer. But I know green card holders with ltc's
Yes I'm aware, however, I am not a permanent resident. I am a US Citizen (passports are only given to citizens).

I'm quite confused because an FID is a shall-issue license and besides naturalization, all other qualifications for obtaining the license are met. What action can I take?
You've already gotten some good advice above (and in particular I suspect that if you approach them with some tact and "hey, you really can't do that, you might want to read up on how this went down in Boston" it'd work out) but that line also seems worthy of comment, in that FIDs aren't shall-issue anymore. They're supposed to provide a reason in writing for the denial, but they can do it.

In a bit of a unique situation. I was born outside of the United States, but immigrated when I was very young. My parents obtained citizenship via naturalization and since I was under 18 I became a citizen as well. My parents never applied for a Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-600) and my only proof of my citizenship is my US Passport. For those curious, you can apply for a passport (DS-11) with proof of derived citizenship (all the documents you'd need for an N-600).

I got a call from my police department saying that my application had been put on hold because I needed to provide a naturalization certificate since I was born outside of the United States. I offered to show a passport, but they stated that it could not be accepted since it "has an expiry date". Additionally, my police department (Billerica) does state on their website that to qualify for an FID: "A naturalized citizen within the above age restrictions (applicant must present proof of naturalization)". I was never naturalized.

I could apply for a Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-600), however, the average processing times for these applications are 1+ year. I do not want to wait a year just so I can exercise my constitutional right to bear arms. I'm quite confused because an FID is a shall-issue license and besides naturalization, all other qualifications for obtaining the license are met. What action can I take?
That is some pure unadulterated bullshit by the PD. Power hungry coyotes

I have been through H1A visas, green card and naturalization.
I would contact them and explain your situation then if that fails contact a lawyer.

I know you don’t have a green card but bare with me.

fact: green cards now have dates where they do expire, never used to, but do now. Just because your green card expires does not change your status or your entitlements to work, just limits travel. I know this for a fact as I needed a lawyer once as I had a period while my green card had expired and my naturalization was still in progress.

Same goes for a passport, even if your passport had expired it does not stop you being a citizen or rights afforded to said citizen. The fact you have a passport proves that you’re a citizen.

If you were born overseas, do not have any of the above documents, and believe that you are already a U.S. citizen, you can apply to the U.S. Department of State for a U.S. passport. A passport is evidence of citizenship and also serves as a travel document if you need to travel. For information about applying for a U.S. passport, go to the U.S. Department of State website.

Expired US Passport
Your expired passport can be used as your proof of citizenship! Make sure you are still recognizable as the person in the passport photo on your old passport, though. If you're now 30 years old and your last passport was issued when you were 5, that's not going to work.

You passport is not expired and enough proof, please contact PD then lawyer

I don’t even know how you got a passport without the naturalized certificate. Its a requirement to apply for the passport. Bizarre shit for sure. That PD is run by idiots.

Just read about the derived citizenship.

I don’t even know how you got a passport without the naturalized certificate. Its a requirement to apply for the passport.

This. Not sure how that would work. Edit: OP explained it.

I had to show my Naturalization Certificate to Acton PD for my LTC even though I have a US passport. They wanted either a US birth certificate or a Naturalization Certificate IIRC.

So passports expire so it won't work but my wife's green card expires and its fine? That is the part I'm trying to wrap my head around
You won't wrap your head around it because it makes no sense.

After the DEC layoffs, I took a software fellowship sponsored and paid for by the Commiewealth. I had to show proof of citizenship, so I used my passport (I was born in the US). The state employee told me that since my passport was due to expire during the program, I'd need to show another passport or my birth certificate (which I couldn't find) at that time. I asked her, "do you think I stop being a US citizen once my passport expires?" Turns out it is a stupid state policy/regulation that makes absolutely no sense.

You don't even have to be a citizen to get an LTC so this requirement makes no sense.

But if you’re not a citizen you do have to show proof of legal residency.

It’s not like non-citizens have no documentation requirements.

Do they ask for a birth certificate for native-born citizens?

My memory says they require proof of citizenship, so birth certificate, naturalization papers, or passport.

The fact that a passport is sufficient for a natural born citizen, but not for someone who gained citizenship through their parents' naturalization is nuts.

Passport == citizenship. Even if it's an old one.

My memory says they require proof of citizenship, so birth certificate, naturalization papers, or passport.

The fact that a passport is sufficient for a natural born citizen, but not for someone who gained citizenship through their parents' naturalization is nuts.

Passport == citizenship. Even if it's an old one.
They just looked up my drivers license in the system .
No proof of citizenship needed for me (I do not have a real ID or passport due to an issue with a typo on my birth certificate)

I helped someone else do an application and they had a certificate of naturalization for the 1960s and they questioned the number of digits on the paper (Maybe they changed) but it went through.

I see no requirement for proof (birth certificate) unless you are a naturalized citizen "If you are a naturalized citizen". Of course some towns have the requirement of birth certificate on the websites with other bs

They just looked up my drivers license in the system .
No proof of citizenship needed for me (I do not have a real ID or passport due to an issue with a typo on my birth certificate)

I helped someone else do an application and they had a certificate of naturalization for the 1960s and they questioned the number of digits on the paper (Maybe they changed) but it went through.

I see no requirement for proof (birth certificate) unless you are a naturalized citizen "If you are a naturalized citizen". Of course some towns have the requirement of birth certificate on the websites with other bs

In the context I was talking (typing), "they" means "Billerica PD", and not "the state"

Unfortunately they are breaking the law and the only thing you can do, if you cannot convince them to follow it, is to sue. Sovereign citizens don’t think the law applies to them and when they have badges, get away with it too.

Call your legislators, the ones in DC and have them... well the interns earn their keep.

Back
Top Bottom