• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Paypal really sucks!

Well that is the consensus. I have heard of individuals having problem with Paypal for numerous reasons but i had never had a negative experience.

I took a $100 deposit for a firearm that i sold to a NES member. Next day i get a nasty email telling my account access is limited, i can not send, receive or withdraw money until i participated in a resolution process. Fairly simple but they made me 'agree' that i had broken their rules and i would not continue to 'break their rules.' The words used in the payment were "Colt" & "AR15" which their bit sniffers detected and whalla; the red flag.

If you do use Paypal (i have seen more than few members saying they would accept PP as a source of payment ) beware. Please be sure to have the sender use a generic item ID as a way to avoid this sort of inconvenience.

FWIW

Oh ya

This is not news, PayPal hates guns and gun parts, remember they are owned by EBAY who is equally anti gun.

IIRC there is a competing service that gun owners use to get around PP

(P.S. I'll pay cash for that 870!)

Glockaholic,
They sure took plenty of my money when i was an independant car dealer. I would guesstimate i sold 500 cars on Ebay over a 5 year period. Only, one negative feedback from some a-hole out in the Sturbridge area.

But anyways, one third of all buyers would pay a $500 deposit at the end of the auction. In addition, some some needed to pay the balance using Paypal. The roughly 3%they have taken out of my pocket over the years would amount to a small fortune and now i am really pissed!

this is what sellers mean in the classifieds when they say "discreet" paypal.. don't use ANY firearm references.

Paypal is extremely convenient for purchasing... especially when you arent positive if you trust a seller with your info. It is also very good for the buyer if they are defrauded...

however, sellers get SCREWED far more often than is acceptable, but they bend over and take it because so many people won't buy without it.

Paypal actually crushed my server business 4-5 years ago, as I used it to receive payments. 1 stolen credit card can cause you major problems as a seller.

We did a Mosin group buy here once and used paypal for payment.

There were some very creative item descriptions that were used to avoid this issue.

Why in the hell are there any gun owners using Paypal or E bay for ANYTHING?

Because untill there is a quick and painless way of purchasing items without a credit/debit card...paypal is the only game in town...just be aware on how you word things and work the transaction.

This isn't a surprise.

NEVER use gun words in a paypal transaction, ever. Send out payments for dog biscuits, instead. If they ask just say you're buying a pallet of dog snacks. [laugh]

-Mike

Paypal is horrible they are extremely anti-gun , check out this site and good luck

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

My antivirus just identified that site as a threat for some reason.

Anyway, I used to use Paypal, but lately I only participate in group buys by sending a check. Besides, I don't need 3% of all my purchases going to some dirt bag company that will be quick to shut down my account.

Because untill there is a quick and painless way of purchasing items without a credit/debit card...paypal is the only game in town...just be aware on how you word things and work the transaction.

There is nothing offered for sale by Ebay or payable by PayPal that I cannot

a) Pay for some other way, either on-line or in person.

or

b) Do without.

never had an issue with paypal or ebay.

yeah, shocker, anti gun like 75% of the rest of the retailers out there.

I still use ebay to buy and sell and still use paypal for a number of things.

just dont use gun related wording and move on, we have a lot more "bigger" issues to get worked up over then paypal [wink]

Be CAUTIOUS with PayPal!

After being a good Paypal customer for over 10 years - they recently changed their policy (effective Feb 21, 2009) with NO NOTICE to customers. I mean NO NOTICE - not even fine print anywhere, nothing. [thinking]

Paypal will now "withold payment" from Ebay sellers until the buyer leaves positive feedback or until after 21 days has expired. Think about that - that's just plain wrong, and appears to be a new "anti-seller" policy by Paypal. They call it "increased security", but I call it just another way to make money at the expense of long and loyal customers.

I've cancelled my Paypal account - I would suggest all Paypal users look into this new policy before it bites you. I have a link on my homepage that points to the original "uproar" article in Fortune magazine.

Jim

Last edited:
I include anything that facilitates living my life or is fun. Once it ceases to do that, I will find something else.

Last edited:
Amazing

I had a similar experience. I am a newbie, and have only made a couple of tranactions on the classifieds here. My second transaction was the purchase of some hi cap mags. I was too stupid to know what "descrete pay pal" meant. When I put sig mags in the description the seller took a hissy fit. It was my own stupidity the add said "descrete pay pal", and I was too new to know what this meant. I still can not believe how anti gun/and pc we have gotten in this country.[angry]

paypal

I know it's convenient for the buyer and it does give them protection from fraud. But they have gone from just bad to horrible to terrifying. Unfortunate for me, as someone who is selling off a lot of stuff over this difficult economic time i need to use it. It is convenient and secures the transction quickly.

Why in the hell are there any gun owners using Paypal or E bay for ANYTHING?

I know it's convenient for the buyer and it does give them protection from fraud. But they have gone from just bad to horrible to terrifying. Unfortunate for me, as someone who is selling off a lot of stuff over this difficult economic time i need to use it. Bottom line is that it is convenient (and safe) for the buyer and for the seller it secures the transaction quickly as a buyer can instantly leave a deposit or pay for an item in full.

I should have expected this from PP. Ebay is almost as difficult to do business but it does give those of us who are unemployed a forum to sell off stuff that we no longer need and raise money to buy more guns and ammo!

Paypal just sucks. Ebay, they're getting there...

Yeah, it sucks but if your using paypal for anything firearms related it has to be discrete. I have only used it once for this purpose. Someone sent me money for hi-cap mags. I told them to just put goods.

I refuse to use pay-pal. I'll send off a personal check or bank check for any goods that need shipping to me. Otherwise I rather meet face to face so I can hand over cash. I dont buy from evil bay either due to their stand on many things including firearms. WTF does any online payment service need to know what I'm buying or selling, if I was selling something illegal I sure as hell wouldnt sell it online leaving a trail for the law to bust me with.

I hate paypal and use cash on a FTF, USPS Money order, a card, a check and wait, or I keep looking.
ME TOO, OR I just wait for another item of the same sort to come along, I also hate EPAY, but if you just have to have whatever their selling .......... they have it usually at a premium.

I have a question about Paypal. I'm a mystery shopper and the company pays me via Paypal. Here's what you see when you sign in:
ICCDS, Inc. pays its field Reps via PayPal rather than mailed checks. Please be certain that:
You have a valid PayPal account and
The email address we have listed on your profile page is current and correct.
If you do not already have a PayPal account, please:
Go to www.paypal.com and
Click on the "Sign Up" link at the top of the page.

I really don't think there's any other way to receive payment from them (they used to mail checks, but not for a few years now). If I just wait until they deposit it into my Paypal acct and then withdraw it to my bank account, does PP get any of my money?

paypal is not anti gun in my opinion. They have a policy that does allow people to transfer funds for the purchase of a firearm. They need to be an approved seller which means that Paypal/Ebay is covering their ass to make sure that they don't inadvertently violate any federal or state firearms laws.

I blame the myriad of useless gun control laws for the paypal position.

Its a business/liability decision.

*puts flame proof suit on*

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom