• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pawn shop near Foxboro?

This was a few months back. I was driving through Foxboro and got lost and I forget where but I saw a tiny pawn shop that said "guns sold here". Just wondering if anyone knows the name of the place. It was off the highway.

Was it Gartman Arms? The driveway is rather steep heading up to the building on the southbound side of route 1.

FYI I don't believe pawn shops in MA can sell firearms.

A shop on 123 in Brockton has a sign like that out front, it's across from the fairgrounds. I dont recall seeing one in Foxboro and Gartmans is in wrentham on Rt1

...FYI I don't believe pawn shops in MA can sell firearms.

Generally, firearms cannot be used as collateral for a loan in MA...

M.G.L. c.140 s.131B

Whoever loans money secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun shall be punished by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or by both; provided, however that nothing herein shall prohibit a bank or other institutional lender from loaning money secured by a mortgage, deposit, or pledge of a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun to a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer of firearms, rifles, or shotguns. The provisions of section one hundred and twenty-three shall not be applicable to any such mortgage, deposit or pledge unless or until the lender takes possession of the collateral upon default or the collateral is removed from the premises of the debtor.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131B

Yes I have seen that sign myself a couple of miles south of the stadium and always meant to ask what that shop is like.
Is it worth a visit?

Is the one in Foxboro also have a sign about a well-drilling business? I just assumed the gun business was long gone.

DEEP drilling, as in gun barrels. used to do contract barrels for the manufacturers, Still have the equipment in back.
The old German guy is a real hoot to talk to. Supposedly a fine gunsmith as well. Lot of old non-working class III stuff
on the walls, including an MG 34 and another MG 42 one of the two is not German manufactured. Worth the trip, if you
happen upon them when open.

DEEP drilling, as in gun barrels. used to do contract barrels for the manufacturers, Still have the equipment in back.
The old German guy is a real hoot to talk to. Supposedly a fine gunsmith as well. Lot of old non-working class III stuff
on the walls, including an MG 34 and another MG 42 one of the two is not German manufactured. Worth the trip, if you

He is an excellent gunsmith. I have been in there with my husband and he did some work on a very old 22 that the kids use.
We thought he was very nice and found him to be incredibly knowledgeable.

Lot of old non-working class III stuff on the walls, including an MG 34 and another MG 42 one of the two is not German manufactured.

Sure, that these are non-working ? I was under the impression they were.
Anyway, too bad that we weren't in the area when he's open (Thursday p.m. ?)
Is Ole Benko still around in the shop ? I remember a nice chat I had with him.

Sure, that these are non-working ? I was under the impression they were.
Anyway, too bad that we weren't in the area when he's open (Thursday p.m. ?)
Is Ole Benko still around in the shop ? I remember a nice chat I had with him.

He is. We just had some work done a few months ago on a 22 that's a little over a hundred years old. He was very impressed with the how good the rifle still looks. He really is a wealth of information. He ended up lining the barrel and working on the extractor, and it looks like he never even touched the gun.

Good old Frankfurt craftsman[thumbsup]
It was funny to find out that his German hometown is just 45 miles away from me.
Gotta bring him a bottle of cider when I come ovre again.

Last edited:

Love this place. Visited a few times, he actually has a full functional StG on the wall now, among broomhandles, an mp40, you get the idea, enough german ww2 hardware to give any ww2 nut a conversation for 3 hours easy.

Last time I was in, he had about 3 FAL's for sale @ 1100 ea. Worth checking out, especially if you're into WW2 memorabilia and militaria.

Back
Top Bottom