• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pattern 14

Picton

NES Member
I've been on the hunt for one of these ever since I first read about them in 1997; finally got a good one. It's a 1916 Eddystone WITHOUT a Weedon repair. Everything matches. The "emergency use" stock cartouche is no doubt there because it was obsolete hardware even in WWI, as the rifle headspaces perfectly and has a shiny bore.

I was impressed to find this in Colorado, since I look at gunshops there every year and usually fail to find anything even remotely interesting; it seems folks there are into tacticool or Wild West, with very little in between.

Looking to take this out and shoot it next week, hopefully. Enjoy!

Volley sight close-up:

For you serial-number snobs:

Stock has the usual cartouches, but I can't seem to get them to upload...

- - - Updated - - -

Ah! There we go...

Most usually the Pattern 14's are found with replacement furniture and/or refinished metal. That is nearly as nice, original and complete as they come. You just don't see 'em like that often. VERY impressive.

I know; I've been looking long and hard for awhile now. I probably overpaid, but I don't mind a bit.

I know; I've been looking long and hard for awhile now. I probably overpaid, but I don't mind a bit.

If this was a usual rebuilt mix master ($3-500 gun), then it's easy to overpay for mediocrity. But this is a $1,000-plus gem of a gun every day of the week, and even more on the weekends. They just don't come around regularly.

Cool. I paid somewhat below weekday rates.

I am curious about where this gun hid itself after WWI; I know that some of them went to India, others to the Baltics, and a few to Bisley, but I can't find any markings anywhere that would indicate any of that. It's almost like it got put into storage in 1917 and then got rediscovered last week. When I picked it up I thought it was too good to be true, but to tell the truth I doubt the dealer cared much about it. I was a lot more excited than he was expecting.

He had it tucked among a couple of M1917s, and I was pretty shocked to see any of them there. He also had a nice 1947 JC, also rare for Colorado.

Yours got tucked away before it was slated for overseas duty. Otherwise, your stock disc would be stamped with unit marks.

p14_p17_009.jpg

Right, but I would have thought that, even sitting unissued in a warehouse someplace, it would have still gotten Weedonized. That's the confusing part. I'm aware there were a few England-stored rifles that escaped the repair, and this must be one of them; what I've never understood is why they escaped. If 644,000 out of 700,000 rifles got the modification, then why not the other 66,000?

Anyway, I'm taking this Patt. 14 in to get it cerakoted and put into a polymer stock (with rails!) this afternoon. Then I'll drill and tap for a cheap Bushnell scope. [wink]

ETA: It was actually 677,000 out of 700,000. I was quoting from memory, which is always a bad idea. So, twice as rare.

Last edited:
OK, I'll bite. What's a Weedon overhaul? I'm thinking of finding a P14 Winchester to fill two holes in my collection at once.

T

It changed the bolt lugs primarily. Along the way they ground off the volley sight arms front and rear, restocked with M1917 wood (if needed), and often infilled the stock disc. It happened to the lion's share of available Pattern 14s, and to many old SMLEs still in inventory when war seemed imminent around 1939. Turns out to have been good timing, I'd say.

ETA: I was very, very surprised to find a P.14 without a Weedon repair. I'd think a Winchester P.14 without one would be at a super-premium, as most folks back then figured the Winchesters were the best of the P.14s.

Last edited:
Prior to WWII, the Weedon Repair facility brought most P-14's up to the Mk1* standards. This involved a beefier locking lug, improved mag and follower, removal of volley sights and other minor changes.

Back
Top Bottom