• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Patrick: Mass. to come out of recession faster than other states

[rofl]

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/ci_12889767

LOWELL -- Gov. Deval Patrick said Massachusetts will come out of this recession more quickly and in a stronger position than many other parts of the country, the result of wise economic development decisions made over the past decade.

As part of a day-long tour of the city Tuesday, that included an anti-gun violence event at UTEC, a meeting with grassroots campaign supporters and stops at downtown businesses as he walked his 9-week-old black lab puppy, Tobey, down Market Street, he stopped in the Sun offices for a meeting with the newspaper's editorial board.

He said that experts and economists have told him "we should start coming out of this in the third or fourth quarter this year, but we will not come roaring out of this, it will be gradual and we will come out stronger," he said. "We still lag the unemployment rate nationally, by one point and our foreclosure rate is not as high," he said.

Traditionally, the governor explained, in times of recession, the state has "gone in deeper and stayed in longer. I don't think that is going to happen this time."

Decisions to invest in growing fields including nanotechnology, life sciences, green technologies, education and health-care will propel the state's economy as fiscal conditions improve, he said, adding that the state has the third largest concentration of video game developers.

Patrick fought back against critics who say state government has not cut back.

"I've eliminated 1,000 position in this last fiscal year and there will probably be about 1,000 this year," he said. The only thing we have held harmless is Chapter 70, public education funding.

"When a factory lays off 1,000 people, people say that's a tragedy," he said. "When state government lays off 1,000 employees, people say good."

The governor also said he will not push forward with a move to increase the state's gas tax.

"I can't now," he said, adding that he knows the idea is "wildly unpopular," and that he understands that people cannot afford any additional increases at this time. "It just won't fly."

Patrick had proposed a 19-cent per gallon increase in the state's gas tax, projected to add about $500 million to the state coffers.

It is estimated that $275 million from the 25 percent increase in the state's sales tax, which goes into effect on Aug. 1 will be directed toward transportation funding.

"I still think it is the best way to ensure a consistent investment in transportation over time," Patrick said, of a gas tax increase, adding that constitutionally, those funds cannot be used for any other purpose. "We have to be thinking in all areas of economic development about the long term."

He added that the state has never committed to transportation out of the general fund and that the Legislature favored the sales tax increase because it bring in more revenue and that money can be used for a variety of purposes. "We need to show that we are willing to change the way we do business," Patrick said, stating that he is very happy with the pension reforms pushed through this spring.

"When a factory lays off 1,000 people, people say that's a tragedy," he said. "When state government lays off 1,000 employees, people say good."

The fact that Governor Asshat thinks this is some sort of contradiction speaks volumes.

That's right, we do. Because a factory is creating wealth, whereas the government worker is siphoning it off from the taxpayer. The fact that he does not realize this is the prime reason he should be dumped at the next election.

I said "should be", Dennis, not "will be". There are more freaking sheep in this state who will cheerfully vote that moron back in than there are voters who actually pay attention.

The legislature hates him so far as I can tell...

They seemed to like Romney more and they didn't care for him much...

That's because King Deval is delusional and thinks he's supposed to actually be running the state, which we all know is a role reserved for the string of felons that get to become Speaker of the House. With Romney, everyone understood he was just passing through, so they got along just fine.

They ( the politicians ) talk like the recession ( depression ) is like a holiday that comes and goes....JOBS!!!! JOBS!!!!!!! JOBS!!!!!!

That's because King Deval is delusional and thinks he's supposed to actually be running the state, which we all know is a role reserved for the string of felons that get to become Speaker of the House. With Romney, everyone understood he was just passing through, so they got along just fine.
Entirely possible, I was hoping Devoid would get a powerless appointment under Barry... Something like ambassador... To Detroit... [laugh]

Entirely possible, I was hoping Devoid would get a powerless appointment under Barry... Something like ambassador... To Detroit... [laugh]

[laugh2] that would be a good place for him, he can stand and watch the tumble weed roll down the street, because tumble weed is all that is left in Detroit.

I think Patric should visit this site....oh and those numbers you see those are people losing their jobs....this site is updated all day...So when the Government posts their un-employment numbers ( which we all know is Bullshit ) you can look back here and retrace the actual numbers.

http://www.layoffdaily.com/?ref=patrick.net

They ( the politicians ) talk like the recession ( depression ) is like a holiday that comes and goes....JOBS!!!! JOBS!!!!!!! JOBS!!!!!!

That is correct. Get used the 'D' word. I doubt anyone in the libel, err liberal, media will be saying it, but it will be official when the Q2 GDP numbers are released in the coming weeks.

Back
Top Bottom