Pat down at football stadiums

KMaurer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They'd have a hard time if the local precedent established in Florida case were to be appealed up to and upheld by the Supreme Court. Right now it's only a single federal district court ruling. Not a big chance of that happening. Even if it did, I'm certain that Boston would show the same respect for the decision as the NY/NJ Port Authority has been showing for FOPA.

Ken

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
KMaurer said:
I believe that the important factor isn't whether a government entity owns the stadium (either entirely or partially), but who's operating it. For example, if a city or state owns and operates the stadium, the search would be a no-no. However, if they own it, but it's operated by the XYZ corporation, then the search would most likely be okay. If the government owners required XYZ to conduct searches as part of their operation agreement, then I suspect that would also be deemed unconstitutional.

Ken
Who owns and operates Gillette Stadium? I am pretty sure it is entirely private for both answers, correct? That said, there are a LOT of staties paying for summer homes with the overtime there.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
Coyote33 said:
Who owns and operates Gillette Stadium? I am pretty sure it is entirely private for both answers, correct? That said, there are a LOT of staties paying for summer homes with the overtime there.
It's called a "private detail" to "keep the peace". Many years ago I was asked if I wanted to work there, in full PD uniform, armed, etc. All paid for by the owners of the stadium.

For 8 or 9 years I worked PT for BC PD and worked the football games alongside Boston PD, State Police, Deputy Sheriffs, etc. They were working a private detail. All paid for by BC.

This is SOP in at least the 50 states. Many towns add a 10% surcharge on detail rates, so the town actually MAKES MONEY for every detail. It's assessed as an administrative cost for billing and processing payments.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jet Fans

Unfortunatly they sell out Giants Stadium for every game. The Giants have a waiting list in the thousands. The Jets probably have a list but not that long...

The best is the Giants/Jets game. Thankfully I didn't have to sit in the stands.

In the past, most of the Jets fans came from NY, mostly on the island. So they have their six beers in the parking lot before the game, four or five during the games and a few back in the parking lot after the game. Then they get on the road at attempt to drive home......Oh what fun that was....[thinking]

Big Daddy 45acp

Instructor
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The last time I went to a Pats game (free tickets) was the last time I probably will go.

When my wife and I showed up, they had about 12 screeners for male patrons and 1 for females! My wife (Oh she of the tiny bladder) HAD TO GO....NOW!
So she went up to a detail cop and asked for some professional courtesy (she is a full time police officer). The officer got her to the front of the line, but before she was screened he asked her if she was armed! she was shocked. According to this cop, not even off duty police officers can carry in the stadium.

Now here is the kicker. Directly from the Stadium web site:

"By entering Gillette Stadium the ticket holder thereby waives any claims against the NFL, MLS, New England Patriots, New England Revolution, other participating clubs, performers and promoters, and any of their affiliates and agents."
And this:

"Gillette Stadium and its affiliated clubs, and its agents and affiliated entities are not responsible for injuries sustained in, on, or around the stadium."
So, by entering the stadium, you waive any claims. You get mugged in the lot or raped in the bathroom, tough titties. Yet, they prohibit any means of self defense that you may legally carry elswhere.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
BD,

That is SOP legalese.

And it has as much legal standing in court as "not responsible for damage from shopping carts in our parking lot" signs. If you doubt me on this I can show you my copy of Big Y checks for slightly more than $1K for car damage by a shopping cart last year.

Top Bottom