• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Passerby in domestic violence incident now facing murder charges

I'm 39 now.

One of my BIGGEST challenges in life is knowing when to walk away, to this day. Too much pride, too much ego, too proud to just be wrong, even when I'm right. I sincerely struggle with this as I drive to always come out the victor, the bad ass, etc. I know it contributed in part (but yeah there were other factors on her side) to my divorce....I struggle, by my own admission to keep this in check in my everyday life. I'm better at it now, but still, the ugly monster can pop out at times.

I wouldn't want it to jam me up legally. That's why Im a huge advocate of yeah, carry a gun, but use it only in dire emergencies. not as a remedy for someone else's failings.

When you're young, your ego is way too involved. Walking away feels like defeat.

The reality is, if you're not a scumbag you have too much to lose.

My cousin and I were in our early 20's at a outdoor cocktail party in Nantucket during regatta week. Everyone was dressed and we're in blue blazers and khakis sipping gin and tonics when one well dressed guy punches his well dressed date right in the face, knocking her to the ground. This was an honest to goodness real punch from the guy to the much smaller woman.

My cousin goes over and confronts the guy and soon after they start fighting. The woman who was punched jumps on my cousin the hero's back and starts hitting him in the back of the head as the guy keeps hitting him from the front. I went for another drink.

For the most part I see other people's problems as other peoples' problems. I don't really give a shit about anyone beyond my family. Some chick getting beat up on by her boyfriend is most likely some mess of a person who keeps going back to him anyway. People fighting on the T. People fighting in Wal-Mart. I don't give a shit about them. Let all the scum take each other out.

Yeah, I'd probably try to do something if I saw a dude slapping a broad around but I'd probably wonder why I bothered. She's probably been slapped around by him a dozen times and keeps going back and she probably only dates that type of guy anyway. Why should I give a shit?

So you guys really wouldnt step in if you saw some guy beating a woman?

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I understand your sentiment, I agree with it in theory.
But you have to understand how much cops f-word'ing HATE going to domestics. I'd rather jump an armed dope load alone at 2am than respond to a domestic.

As an armed bystander witnessing that scenario unfold, you have two choices:

Get involved and quite possibly end up shooting the aggressor. In that decision you risk going to to jail if the "victim" says there was no danger to them from the aggressor.

Don't get involved, and quite possibly watch the aggressor beat the victim to death. Now you have to live with the fact that you didn't intervene.

Either way, each of those worst case scenarios would follow you for a very long time. Maybe for the rest of your life. As a responsible armed citizen you have to decide what you can live with in the worst scenario. I certainly don't want to destroy my own life and go to jail over a complete stranger's drama-filled life. And I certainly don't want to watch an innocent person die or be horribly beaten while I do nothing. It's a shitty situation all around, and you most likely would never know the entire story unless you personally knew those people involved

I watched a video (can't link from my phone) where one of those free state weirdos tried to intervene in what he thought was a domestic. He recorded it and tried to verbally deescalate the situation. It ended with everyone turning on him and him pulling a gun.

The cops didn't bust his balls over it, but it's a classic case of why you should MYOB.

My uncle was in Providence after a night at the club(in the 80s). He was walking back to the car with his friends and came up to a guy beating the snot out of his gf(he may have even smashed her head on the car, story was a long time ago and my uncle passed away 23 years ago). My uncle ended up beating the guy up. The guys gf started screaming at my uncle asking what he was doing etc. It happens...but I'd have done the same thing my uncle did in that situation.

I have jumped in before a couple of times and neither time did I have to actually beat anybody up and in both cases it became apparent that both females soooo deserved the beating that they were about to get.

I usually wouldn't advocate hitting a woman but when you spend the child support money on an eight ball and leave the kids alone so you can go to the club, then get caught bangin some scumbag in the parking lot..... you probably have it coming.

I don't agree with what Bushnell did; nor am I making excuses for him. BUT, I can see some defense attorney creating justification of self defense - all resulting from Poindexter's assaulting him with a baseball bat.
It's a long shot, but what if the defense can find a forensic neurologist that can attribute his delayed reaction to the acute effects of blunt force trauma on the brain? Reviewing literature you can easily find the following effects: confusion, disorientation, memory loss, headache, brief loss of consciousness, short term memory loss, slowed ability to process information (especially newly acquired information), spatial disorientation, impaired judgment, etc..
Perhaps Bushnell was so 'confused' as a result of the blows he took to his head by the counter-attack launched by Poindexter, that he actually lost perception of time in his 'disorientation'. Acute spatial disorientation + confusion + impaired thought processing = Bushnell felt the threat was physically closer and his life was in imminent jeopardy, therefore he needed to protect himself and did so.

So you guys really wouldnt step in if you saw some guy beating a woman?

Yes, and I have. A psychopath was out of his mind b/c his ex had moved on, and his inflated ego couldn't handle it. He came to my place of work (when I was in college), where the couple was minding their own business. The new boyfriend was beaten and thrown into a floor to ceiling glass window. She ran away but was caught and dragged by her hair like a cave woman; screaming for help. I ran to her and jumped in front of her; while yelling that the cops were on the way. He proceeded to wind up, and at very close to impact realized the woman he was about to punch out was not her...it was me; and stopped. He took off as I backed her into a locked office, where we waited until the police arrived. The guys present (workers and customers), just watched, nobody helped her. I am grateful to have escaped that punch - but I couldn't live with myself watching what was about to ensue.

Getting involved in a Domestic Situation is a gamble, and I understand the reluctance, and fear of negative long term life consequences. I would want and hope someone would help me if I was ever in need of assistance.

I don't agree with what Bushnell did; nor am I making excuses for him. BUT, I can see some defense attorney creating justification of self defense - all resulting from Poindexter's assaulting him with a baseball bat.
It's a long shot, but what if the defense can find a forensic neurologist that can attribute his delayed reaction to the acute effects of blunt force trauma on the brain? Reviewing literature you can easily find the following effects: confusion, disorientation, memory loss, headache, brief loss of consciousness, short term memory loss, slowed ability to process information (especially newly acquired information), spatial disorientation, impaired judgment, etc..
Perhaps Bushnell was so 'confused' as a result of the blows he took to his head by the counter-attack launched by Poindexter, that he actually lost perception of time in his 'disorientation'. Acute spatial disorientation + confusion + impaired thought processing = Bushnell felt the threat was physically closer and his life was in imminent jeopardy, therefore he needed to protect himself and did so.

Yes, and I have. A psychopath was out of his mind b/c his ex had moved on, and his inflated ego couldn't handle it. He came to my place of work (when I was in college), where the couple was minding their own business. The new boyfriend was beaten and thrown into a floor to ceiling glass window. She ran away but was caught and dragged by her hair like a cave woman; screaming for help. I ran to her and jumped in front of her; while yelling that the cops were on the way. He proceeded to wind up, and at very close to impact realized the woman he was about to punch out was not her...it was me; and stopped. He took off as I backed her into a locked office, where we waited until the police arrived. The guys present (workers and customers), just watched, nobody helped her. I am grateful to have escaped that punch - but I couldn't live with myself watching what was about to ensue.

Getting involved in a Domestic Situation is a gamble, and I understand the reluctance, and fear of negative long term life consequences. I would want and hope someone would help me if I was ever in need of assistance.

What you describe is not domestic violence, it's a stalker. Sounds like you also had some background of the situation as well.

For me, it would take awhile to evaluate the situation and figure out what to do. Unless her life is in immediate danger and there is no way out I'm not putting myself and my family at risk. Not for a complete stranger when I have no knowledge of the situation.

I watched a video (can't link from my phone) where one of those free state weirdos tried to intervene in what he thought was a domestic. He recorded it and tried to verbally deescalate the situation. It ended with everyone turning on him and him pulling a gun.

The cops didn't bust his balls over it, but it's a classic case of why you should MYOB.

There ya go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What you describe is not domestic violence, it's a stalker. Sounds like you also had some background of the situation as well.

The comment about DA was added since it has been discussed throughout the thread.
My response was to the question asking if one would step in if they saw a 'some guy beating a woman'. He was a man, and she was a woman being roughed up and about to be pummeled. I only learned background details while waiting for the cops.

Back
Top Bottom