1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Passenger kicked off of Southwest Airlines flight after making vodka joke

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KVX, May 14, 2019.

1. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Now we know why he needs an illegal semi-fully-automatic Mini-14 non-gun replica!

JayMcB and Jason Flare like this.
  2. Mr.E

Mr.E

Trust me, if I could afford it...forget the mansions, 20 Ferrari’s, etc. wealth to me is being able to travel by private jet...

KBCraig and JayMcB like this.
  3. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

The early Rolls Royce engines in the L1011’s were problematic and had a few engine fires. As a teen I was on a flight from LAX to ORD when that happened shortly after takeoff. No big deal and no snowflakes were triggered.

4. AHM

AHM NES Member

I wouldn't make a habit of that.

One misunderstood word and you're getting proned out
    just like the person who started the trouble with the stew.

mibro and KVX like this.
  5. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I think she mentioned this carrier was that Arab one.... Emirates?

6. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Airlines and insurances are in the same business of small print exceptions. They also must be sharing/exchanging their executives!

Flying became miserable after 9/11 when executives decided on cutting corners. Just like medical insurances after Obamacare fiasco. Same idea, same implementation. You want pillow? Why? Pay for it! You want see through blanket? Luxury! You want to eat? Bring it with you! You want a clean airplane? No need, you will make it dirty anyway!

I have to fly, unfortunately. I have been flying internationally 35 years. There was a time when you were asked what newspapers or magazines you would like to have. You could select actual food back then, instead of a chicken which tastes like a pasta or pasta which tastes as a chicken. I was looking forward to every flight because it was a relaxing experience and every passenger was surrounded by people who cared. Now you have a feeling that you are in the way of the crew which needs to get quickly to another location.

On my last flight from Barcelona crew was cleaning up somebody's pile of already eaten goulash with their bare hands and right after it they've continued serving food to us. Only one checked in luggage arrived while the second luggage was traveling around the globe and was delivered 7 days after our arrival.

Do we need Elizabeth Warren to fix airlines? ;)

mibro likes this.
  7. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

She's too busy being our esteemed Senator and Native American ambassador.

8. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Many years ago, a friend (who ran the flight school and a charter op out of the local airport) was part owner of a DC-3. He was an old-timer in the industry: former ATP for Capital. He managed to get it airborne, and was in the process of gathering all the documentation necessary to launch a "golden era" charter op with it.

Sadly, it wasn't to be. It flew south one afternoon, to have work done, and never came back. IIRC the other owners didn't dig the idea as much as he did.

9. MassPete

MassPete NES Member

JetBlue is doing a total makeover on all their older aircraft. Flew in from the West Coast last night and felt like I was at a Bruins Sports Pub. Flight Attendants were great and watching the game on the new flat screen was definitely a plus. I could never do a trans-con on Spirit or Southwest. Their MINT class looks pretty awesome also...

drgrant likes this.
  10. xero2099

xero2099 NES Member

indeed

11. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

I only flew on a DC-3 once, from Naples Florida to Key West, March 1995.

Virgin Airlines was operating the DC-3, the Captain and cabin crew dressed in vintage 1939 replica uniforms, the magazines were from 1939, and the cockpit door was open.

The funniest part was ( and this is before I started learning to fly) was when I called to book the flight they asked how much I weighed and how much my GF at the time weighed.... I knew how much I weighed and was taught never to ask a woman her age or weight so I guessed hers. They needed that information to do the weight & balance calculations. It wasn't until 2005 when I was taking my first lessons that I learned how critical those calculations are.

I'm really glad I got to experience a DC-3

The5thDentist and kevin9 like this.
  12. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

The aforementioned was only a couple years before that - could've been the same bird! [laugh]

13. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Anytime I fly for business...I pay the difference between coach and first class and upgrade myself. Why? Because of this thread. I'm a fat bastard for one...so the wider seats is worth it and I also like the better service; free booze, meals, getting on and off first, having my own storage bin, getting to use the priority lane through TSA. Some think it is a waste of money...but they can go pound sand sitting in cattle class. :)

xero2099, wilson911 and drgrant like this.
  14. ProGun

ProGun NES Member

I was on an L-1011 with an engine failure right after take-off BOS-ATL, believe in 1988. Sounded like it had digested a thrown blade or something. We just returned to Logan and everyone was pretty chill. Of course, those had 3 engines. I always liked the L-1011. Those Rolls-Royce RB211 engines sounded awesome spooling up.

Mountain likes this.
  15. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

In our case the fire happened a bit after takeoff, while still climbing over the Pacific before turning around to head east. Pilot actually announced what happened and essentially said there had been a fire in engine #1 but the onboard extinguishers immediately put it out. He said the the aircraft was perfectly capable of flying to ORD on two engines but that we all would probably prefer a new aircraft so let's land it and get another one.

16. Brin747

Brin747 NES Member

Those L1011's were built like tanks, great aircraft that just never really gained enough market share. They always seemed really slow and lumbering on takeoff to me, but there was just something regal about them...

Mountain likes this.
  17. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

The issue with air travel and baggage is....flying with gunz. You're always going to pay that fvck-you-gun-owner penalty (unless on southworst) with a checked bag and the associated cost.

The idiot FA should be fired. The passenger didn't threaten anything, and the remaining passengers were FURTHER inconvenienced on an already-late flight to salve her gen-Z butthurt

Jason Flare likes this.
  18. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

They also had overhead bins that were horrible, which would be great by todays standards, because it would have a tamping effect on the roller suitcase skinflints... [rofl]

-Mike

19. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I always check a bag anyways so I'm paying that somehow regardless. On most of the airlines it's pretty much noise. I'm always bringing scotch, bourbon, or a bottle or three of wine to or from wherever I'm going (and a suitcase big enough to protect that stuff) so I don't have much of a choice. I really hate lugging shit on planes anyways, beyond my laptop bag. (like as in, almost as much as Kars-4-kids or paul mc cartney christmas song level hate). By the time I get to the TSA gate rape I want to be done with luggage.

-Mike

RumRunner and JayMcB like this.
  20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Still best are the morons that smack every single passenger with their bag on the way down the aisle. I mean, SERIOUSLY! You can't hold it in front of you like a normal human? No, you need it barely slung over your shoulder and have you smack everyone. Jeez.

BTW - 3 pages in - I didn't get the joke. Did he mean that b/c it was so slow this was Soviet Russia or something?

Prepper likes this.
  21. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I think the worse are the d*cks that are already seated but decide they want something from their overhead bag and cant wait for everyone to be done boarding, so they block the isle and make everyone wait.

It should be legal to punch those people as hard as possible.

A close second are the d*cks that put their knees against the seats. I dont even ask them to stop anymore, I just punch the seat really hard.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Junior314 likes this.
  22. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Oh yeah. That guy needs a beating. It's always a 50-something dude. Always. He's got that "well, I'm better than all of you" look on his face with his sweater on in the middle of July. But down deep inside he's insecure and needs his "blanky" to make everything better before the flight takes off.

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.
  23. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Forum Curmudgeon NES Member

The last time I flew Southwest, I hand carried a briefcase, and a new Seritelli hat in a white plastic bag. I slid my briefcase under the seat in front of me and had
    the hat on my lap. The flight attendant told me I had put it in the overhead bin. I showed her it was just a hat and she said, "It still has to go in the overhead bin!"

So I told her, "This hat cost me almost $500. And if I put it in the overhead bin and it gets smashed by someone else stuffing a bag in there, I am going to file a claim
    for a new hat from you guy's!" She stormed off, and then this "Swishy" male flight attendant came back and told me that I can't have any packages on my lap during takeoff.

I just took the hat out of the bag, threw the plastic bag on the floor and put the hat on my head and said "What package?"

Freaking idiots!

24. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

That's some "outside of the bag" thinking there!!!! Well played!

25. mibro

mibro NES Member

Preach it, brother. Now, real flying, that was before 1978, before deregulation. Born too late.

"Before Deregulation, airlines competed on service alone, as fares were regulated by the government. Many remember this era fondly as the “golden age of aviation,” when stewardesses—as flight attendants were then known—carved chateaubriand on rolling silver carts and airlines put piano lounges in the upper decks of their Boeing 747s. Passengers dressed up to board flights, and flying was glamorous and exciting—and mainly for the rich."

The5thDentist and Jason Flare like this.
  26. mibro

mibro NES Member

I'm not too proud of this but about 20 years ago Customs at Logan told me they were going to confiscate my British pork pies which I'd foolishly declared on my immigration form. I pulled the plastic bag out of my luggage, dropped it on the floor, gave it a good stomping, picked it up and handed it over. The (female) Customs jackboot looked like she wanted to stomp me in return but couldn't quite figure out a reason, I guess.

The5thDentist likes this.
  27. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Mrs. Pipes used to pack three steamer trunks if we were going to overnight someplace and be back the next day. I flew to France, spent a week and came back - with a gym bag having a change of clothes, basic toiletries and a book for the plane ride.

Over the years, I've rubbed off on the lady and she has reduced how much she packs. But it's still too much.

AHM and Prepper like this.
  28. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Pipes - you've done WHAT??? ROFL!!!

KBCraig and namedpipes like this.
  29. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Same here, I hate bringing anything as carry on. When travelling for work, I have my laptop, but that is it. When not for work, just my phone. For work, they pay the baggage fees. When not work related, I've generally used Jet Blue and they didn't charge for the first bag, and I never bring more than one per person anyway. Not sure if that has changed with them though, have not used Jet Blue in a couple of years.

30. sbi

sbi NES Member

What does it have to do with snowflake generation? It's a stupid joke, not even "offensive" or threatening or anything. What's the harm in saying "they should pass a vodka because we waited so long"?

drgrant likes this.