1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Passenger kicked off of Southwest Airlines flight after making vodka joke

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KVX, May 14, 2019.

1. mibro

mibro NES Member

2. Brin747

Brin747 NES Member

Kind of have to disagree...I see people of all ages acting like entitled ass-hats when dealing with gate agents.

*CJK* likes this.
  3. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Their boarding process is one of the things I love about SWA. It's spontaneous order in action: people compare numbers and line up. They actually speak to one another.

Compare that to the gate lice phenomenon that happens with assigned seating: as soon as boarding is announced, the people who will be the last to board rush the gate, blocking everyone else.

Garys, strangenh and Dennis in MA like this.
  4. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Much of the crap done by the airlines is terminally stupid, but IMHO skinflints are one of the huge root causes of airlines basically screwing up everything. Low cost carrier comes in. (say spirit) that nickle dimes everyone to death over their base ticket. Now because marketing, every other airline starts doing this, and eventually it trickles down. Then this starts to ping-pong, but it's really more like a turd that spins around in the bowl and makes more skid marks.

A free market, right? Well, kinda. Problem is now the base level product in this new free market is "pure crap" because skinflints are making it
    crap. I'm surprised that Spirit isn't at the point where they're trying to pull a ryannair and charge people to use the bathrooms on the planes, etc. Or they haven't gone to that weird stand-up seating, FAA probably won't let them flint that much.... [rofl] Problem is something like spirit isn't large enough to siphon
    off all the flints so they end up on other carriers. Then you have companies like AA and United flinting to corporate customers or .gov, etc. It's a mess.

I'm surprised its not worse than it is. Otherwise flying on a plane would be like buying an inkjet printer. (hint, they're all terrible- because skinflints ruined that entire market too- the only way to opt out of it, is to choose a wholly different class of printer. )

manager.jpg

-Mike

AHM, KBCraig and tcarter01 like this.
  5. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

I don’t fly anymore.

Too much stupidity, too much cattle car mentally and I have no need to watch AJ Baker grope other passengers.

10thSFFD and Daddy Mac like this.
  6. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

Prepper, AKA Jack Reacher.

JayMcB, KBCraig and Prepper like this.
  7. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

A coworker today at lunch was just talking about her upcoming trip to Asia. She had to pay $400 extra, each way, to select their seats so they could sit together. Otherwise, they will split families randomly about the plane. It takes 3 legs to get there, and each leg of the flight is an additional charge. And, you have 4 people in the family. $800 extra just to be guaranteed seats together. I thought it was nuts!

10thSFFD and Mountain like this.
  8. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

Totally agree here. Although, I think Southwest started the whole thing, a whole bunch of clowns like Spirit, etc.....jumped on and went total retard. At one point low cost air was just a scam to get one or two time a year travellers or serious skinflints looking like they saved some dough, when in reality, with the fees its just a shitty deal you pay later. Or not even enough savings to justify the bullshit. The serious traveller or anyone with a brain knew that it was a scam and didn't even bother with those assclowns.

Now the Large companies think they have to follow that model....and its just brought pretty much the whole industry into the shitter. I also think they they have become fee happy, and are realizing they can pretty much fee people to death and they will pay it.

That said, I used to fly SW a lot, but I really do not like the seating BS. I avoid them now, I generally fly JetBlows, most of the time they are OK. But flying as a whole now, is a fxcking nightmare. If its 6 hours or less, i'll drive. Honestly, I just drove to SC and back for a long weekend, and it wasn't awful. I saved 800 dollars over flying as there were three of us and no airport rental needed.

Southwest is still better if you have large or have to have a lot of bags. I've gotten some good service from them when traveling with bows and guns isn large cases.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    10thSFFD, drgrant and Mountain like this.
  9. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

I almost always try to take carry-on and can pack that way for over a week trip. It's a way to get in and out of the airports more quickly and eliminates the 'where's my luggage' game. Some of my foreign trips involve different locations and/or countries every night, so a lost bag will not be easy to send to me. Not being a skinflint as I'm not the one footing the bill for luggage. Bin space can fill quickly, so early bird gets the worm. I've also had stuff stolen or 'confiscated' out of my bag in the past. I was once given a really nice ceramic knife for my birthday in Slovenia. Of course I checked that luggage, but somewhere along the way it was removed from my bag and was missing when I arrived back in Boston.

One other thing to consider is that airlines occasionally f up and double book a seat. First person in such a seat usually keeps it, and other person could be screwed if the plane is full. The only exception to this I have ever seen in an entire lifetime of flying is when United bumped someone out of 'my' seat. At the time I had their secret squirrel Global Services status, which is a very impressive perk. Otherwise I'm sure I would have been f-ed.

10. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

This seems to be the latest scam, especially for foreign carriers. Seat assignment upon check-in, or you have to pay a LOT in advance for an assigned seat. Was this a USA carrier or some foreign one?

11. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

I once ate like this when flying cross country with my family. After Vietnam, Dad was a pilot for one of the majors.

[​IMG]

10thSFFD, daekken and drgrant like this.
  12. Mr.E

Mr.E

This...OR it's someone who doesn't fly often and thinks they risk being left behind if they don't rush to sit down.
    If I have nothing in overhead I will be just about the last person on a plane. I have been known to order a beer and watch the boarding process and only head over once the last person in the last group has scanned his/her ticket to board..

13. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

United States airlines not only have the ugliest flight attendants, they also have the angriest flight attendants.

Flying with other airlines like LATAM is a pleasure.

Prepper and Mountain like this.
  14. Broccoli Iglesias

I never had that issue with JetBlue.

The problem I have with them is that they were one of the first airlines to put TVs on internal flights, and that was great at first. Now their TVs are all old and their programs s*ck a**. 3 movies you can't start and stop when you want or some shitty cable programs. Ugh.

Flying to the Westcoast is a torture.

15. Broccoli Iglesias

I usually see mostly middle aged people. Not taking a shot at you older folks, but that's what I see.

The younger ones usually just deal with it and continue to take selfies.

But this makes perfect sense. After flying for a long time, you either become a raging a-hole or you give up on life while traveling and deal with it like a zombie. The latter takes a lot of effort and some alcohol.

16. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

If you ever want a hard look commentary on the state of commercial aviation, pick up Sullenberger's book.

The movie sucked, the book is good, and goes into how we went from being glamorous to bus like.

17. dlarge

dlarge NES Member

I've flown out of either Boston or Manchester coming up on 4 weeks in-a-row. Nashville 2x, Vegas, and Detroit. No f*cking way I'd be driving to any of those places. Did I hit some snags, delays, etc? Sure. But nothing worth throwing an adult hissy fit over...

18. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Pffft. Flying is like joining the military. You sign away your rights as soon as you get on that plane. ZERO RIGHTS. Don't like it...don't fly.

GM-GUY likes this.
  19. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Well...that and then bitching about it on social media. :)

20. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

competition for bin space

21. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Lol you actually rely on that stuff working? I bring my own entertainment.

Although I was sort of annoyed that the few XM radio stations I liked didn't work last time I was on, but usually I turn that f***ing thing off (brightness down all the way) or leave it on the flight info screen. Then again I don't watch TV or Movies 99% of the time regardless.

Torture? Last time I went to vegas I slept for at least an hour or two...

-Mike

22. dlarge

dlarge NES Member

Yea, I've been forced to gate check my bags on the last few flights.

23. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

The joke was not the problem.

It was the wife who butted in and was disrespectful to the flight attendant.

The wife must have been more attractive than the likely ugly flight attendant who could not let her comment stand.

24. Broccoli Iglesias

Simple. Because a lot of times people fill the overhead with small laptop bags and the flight attendants are so lazy they tell the rest of the people to check their bags. This is very common in United and Delta flights. And the angry fat a** flight attendant is just standing there watching people.

If I bring a carry on is because I dont want to check it.

That's the only reason to get on as early as possible.

When I fly for work I pay for the upgrades to go in faster.

dlarge likes this.
  25. whatluck

whatluck

I never bring checked baggage, if I'm going to be away for more than a week I'll mail anything I need ahead of time and make sure it gets there. How is AA still in business? You would think nobody would fly them anymore.

26. Coyote33

Coyote33

I don't remember the beds or the dining room tables, but I DO remember sitting in the cockpit, and getting some wings. I also remember getting hot facecloths and vienerschnitzel (SAS or PanAm). I remember sitting in bulkhead seats, so there was extra legroom and playroom for kids (me). Yes, I actually do remember it. I also remember an engine fire, but it went out, and no big deal.

AHM and Mountain like this.
  27. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    If it had been a big deal, you'd likely not be posting! [laugh]

AHM likes this.
  28. snax

snax NES Member

www.netjets.com

29. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

she should take the 800 and upgrade to business class. too bad you can't sit together, kids, mama loves you.

JayMcB, Prepper and drgrant like this.
  30. rali

rali

Oh my god, sing that tune!

An old friend got a job driving the busses at JetBlue soon after they got their first slots at BOS. I’ve been flying them ever since. First out of solidarity with my friend and then because JetBlue was an excellent airline. Now i’ll pick JetBlue if it’s going the right direction and inexpensive but they are no longer my default.

R