• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Passed the General Exam

MaverickNH

NES Member
Last weekend in Burlington VT. Great all day cram-review session with Mitch Stern W1SJ and exam after.

I've started (re)learning Morse from my younger days (when Boy Scouts started fires) with www.MorseFusion.com and plan some QRP CW work when proficient. Thinking a Elecraft KX1 with ATU and 20/30/40/80 on an end-fed antenna while out in the woods, lakes & streams.

I'm also (re)learning electronics and plan to start building while I work up to the Extra exam next year. Nashua Area Radio Club has a 3-day 24hr Extra class every year with an exam at the end.

It's all about the path up the mountain, not about reaching the summit.

Good job on the upgrade!
[party]

Now the whole world is at your antenna. You'll be very surprised what you can do with 5W of CW. Because you don't need to transmit or hear the complexities of speech, Morse takes about 100 times less power to cover the same distance as voice.

The KX1 with ATU is a great rig. I have one with their key. I love a rig where I have just one thing (the rig box) with just 2 wires connected (antenna and ear buds).

If you haven't already done so, look at the Summits on the Air (SOTA) program. It's a fun way to merge hiking and ham radio. The one time I activated a summit I called CQ for a few minutes with no luck. Then I realized I had cell reception so I self-spotted on sotawatch.org and with minutes I had a pile-up.[smile]

It's all about the path up the mountain, not about reaching the summit.
Never more true than with ham radio. The learning never has to end.

Back
Top Bottom