Passed Tech/General today

John380

NES Member
I was inspired entirely by the "Get your License in one Day" thread on NES a few months ago, but couldn't make the event. Instead i bought the ARRL HAM Radio License Manual book -Lvl 1 and read it cover to cover in the last few weeks. After taking the technician practice test about a dozen times at qrz.com and studying the General flashcards at hamstudy.org I aced the technician test and squeaked by on the general today.

Looking forward to getting a call sign and getting on the air. Will post it here.

Never would have done this if not for NES.

Looking forward to getting a call sign and getting on the air. Will post it here.

Just remember, with a callsign anybody can look you up on the FCC website. Whatever mailing address appears on your license will be visible as well. Unless you use a PO Box, it will be your street address.

I had my callsign as my username when I joined and then decided that was a bad idea.

Thanks,

HF is definitely an interest. For now I just have the Baofeng UV-5R, but I will be figuring out the transceiver and antenna options soon.

Thanks for the advice on the call sign MRE. Just did some look-ups and I see what you mean.

Nice going! I did the same thing back in June, and then got my Extra ticket about two weeks ago. I think that I might be one of those guys that makes some of the old Elmers sigh. I have all the privileges and yet am still really a newb.
Next goal, learn CW.
Maybe I'll hear you on the 2m.

Just ordered Ham Radio License Manual with CD (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual) arrl. Going to do the same thing, read cover to cover, study and hopefully pass tech. I think I'll wait on general as I am already overwhelmed by some of the jargon. I have always wanted to do something like this, but never took the initiative. Looking forward to learning something new and cool.

That's a really good book. I started to forget some of the details in the first chapters once I had finished it so the qrz.com site helped keep it all in mind up to the day of the test. Someone told me the General is just different material at about the same difficulty level. I found there was a fair amount of overlap with the Tech. Good luck Mr. Brownstone.

Back
Top Bottom