• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Passed on a Cheap Finn - they're out there!

USMA-82

NES Member
It still gives me a stomach ache thinking about it, but I passed on an outstanding milsurp deal yesterday. A lot of factors, not the least of which was that it was in another state, and they refused to ship directly to my home address as a C&R holder - had to go directly to an FFL (along with the additional transfer fee).

Anyway, here's the lowdown: 1932 dated Model 27 Finnish Mosin Nagant - all matching, pristine bore, beautiful wood, probably 95% bluing, and original cleaning rod. The shop just pulled it in from an older gentleman who was cleaning house.

The tag on the rifle said "Mosin Nagant, 7.62 x 54r, $129.00"

With a shipping fee of $20 and a transfer fee of, say $30, you're still looking at a $179 Model 27 Finn in beautiful shape.

Thank goodness I already have one, but I should have snapped this one up purely for investment purposes and doubled my money.

Crap, crap, crap....

Long story, short - they're still out there if you know what you're looking at, and the gun shop is not particularly C&R knowledgeable.

The Sestroryetsk I had was a $100 rifle because the shop owner considered it just an old Mosin which they often get labeled as.

Were you there in person and they refused to sell to a MA resident? Your description makes it sound like you actually got to look and handle it.

Too bad that there are so many idiot dealers out there that won't ship to C&Rs (especially old rifles) or in some cases even dealer FFLs in MA.

Too bad that there are so many idiot dealers out there that won't ship to C&Rs (especially old rifles) or in some cases even dealer FFLs in MA.

This is one of the many things about being a MA gun owner that really pisses me off. Even when we are following the written law to a "T", we still get screwed over because outsiders don't understand how things work here, or are just too scared to deal with us. [thinking]

This is one of the many things about being a MA gun owner that really pisses me off. Even when we are following the written law to a "T", we still get screwed over because outsiders don't understand how things work here, or are just too scared to deal with us. [thinking]

Yes, or Mass FFL's are too scared to accept shipment from an individual. Went through a real sh!t show getting my VEPR here, mostly because of a PITA FFL in NC who refused to ship to MA period. One would think a C&R qualified item would be a no-brainer.

Anyway, I'd love to have a Finn- my kids are half Finn/Norwegian. I have a pristine Ruski hex Mosin I'd trade for a Finn...

Were you there in person and they refused to sell to a MA resident? Your description makes it sound like you actually got to look and handle it.

It wasn't that they wouldn't sell it to me - they just didn't want to ship it to my C&R address of record. I didn't want to carry the rifle back on the plane, so shipping was the best option.

Yes, I did actually get to inspect it personally. I still can't believe I walked away from that deal.

Arggggg....

It wasn't that they wouldn't sell it to me - they just didn't want to ship it to my C&R address of record. I didn't want to carry the rifle back on the plane, so shipping was the best option.

Yes, I did actually get to inspect it personally. I still can't believe I walked away from that deal.

Arggggg....

Why didn't you just buy it and ship it to yourself?

Yes, or Mass FFL's are too scared to accept shipment from an individual. Went through a real sh!t show getting my VEPR here, mostly because of a PITA FFL in NC who refused to ship to MA period. One would think a C&R qualified item would be a no-brainer.

Anyway, I'd love to have a Finn- my kids are half Finn/Norwegian. I have a pristine Ruski hex Mosin I'd trade for a Finn...

"no brainers" don't exist in MA. I tried to buy a striped lower from CDNN sports and they actually processed my payment and then refunded the money and sent me an email saying that they could not ship the item to my FFL in MA. I called and talked to a supervisor and informed them that (a) stripped lowers are not firearms in MA ( I even sent them the relevant MGL citation) and (b) they were sending to an FFL under federal law and MA law should mean nothing to them in that situation. The supervisor told me that company policy was to not ship "ANY SEMI-AUTOMATIC FIREARM COMPONENTS TO MA". and that they had been warned by "MA authorities" not to sell to MA residents!!

I finally found a decent stripped lower at MA Firearms School and when I told them the story they just laughed and said that they were familiar with CDNN and they would not sell to MFS. THey also said "they're not the only one".

Welcome to MA. What a joke this place is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom