• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

passed my general

I just passed my general exam tonight after a couple months of lazily studying I started getting passing scores on the practice exams so I headed to Billerica tonight for their monthly exam offering.

Now what to buy for a HF rig?

KB1ZVR/AG

Congratulations Tim!

Yeah, picking a rig is so hard that most hams can't make up their mind and aimlessly wander around buying rigs until they own at least 3. I went the "one size fits none" approach and got an FT-857. It's 100W, all modes, HF plus 6meters, 2meters and 70cm. It's my base station and moves to the car for long trips. It's no $2,000 base rig, but it works just fine and it's not the size of a briefcase. iCom, Kenwood and others make equivalent does-it-all mobile rigs.

If you go with wire antennas, a slingshot with a fishing reel hoseclamped to the writst support plus a 1oz weight gets my lines 60' up in trees. Bow and arrow works even better.
{BTW, owning and using slingshots is perfectly legal in MA. You just can't make or sell them[rolleyes] so go to NH or just mail order one.}

Last edited:
Nice job and congratulations. I gotta get motivated to finish studying and take the General. Icom IC-7100 sitting on my desk so I've been monitoring HF including PSK31 and am anxious to pull the trigger.

Congrats! When's the antenna party?

First I have to finish building my house and move in; hopefully that will be before end of this month. Then I need a radio, antenna, and to convince my wife that it won't 'ruin the look of the house.'

Congratulations Tim!

Yeah, picking a rig is so hard that most hams can't make up their mind and aimlessly wander around buying rigs until they own at least 3. I went the "one size fits none" approach and got an FT-857. It's 100W, all modes, HF plus 6meters, 2meters and 70cm. It's my base station and moves to the car for long trips. It's no $2,000 base rig, but it works just fine and it's not the size of a briefcase. iCom, Kenwood and others make equivalent does-it-all mobile rigs.

If you go with wire antennas, a slingshot with a fishing reel hoseclamped to the writst support plus a 1oz weight gets my lines 60' up in trees. Bow and arrow works even better.
{BTW, owning and using slingshots is perfectly legal in MA. You just can't make or sell them[rolleyes] so go to NH or just mail order one.}

Thanks - I've been looking at the 857 & the 897, but someone on the Derry repeater this morning suggested looking into an older iCom for around the $500 mark I could get up and running; so uncertain about which route to go.

Nice job and congratulations. I gotta get motivated to finish studying and take the General. Icom IC-7100 sitting on my desk so I've been monitoring HF including PSK31 and am anxious to pull the trigger.

i spent a long time just casually studying...this week for some odd reason my average score on the practice exams went from 50% to over 80% so I just found a test and took it. I got my tech just about a year ago.

Congrats chaser!

I went with an all-in-one as well: icom-7100. Doesn't do 220, but it covers everything else.

ProductHeader.jpg

Congrats chaser!

I went with an all-in-one as well: icom-7100. Doesn't do 220, but it covers everything else.

ProductHeader.jpg

The 7100 is a serious radio and your going to pay for all those features. The 857 can't be beat and you can find lots of them used for around $6-700. Careful with the older Yeasu and Icoms as it may be difficult to interface a sound card if you ever want to try digital modes like PSK. I have an 857 and like it cause i can do anything and everything with it.

The 7100 is a serious radio and your going to pay for all those features. The 857 can't be beat and you can find lots of them used for around $6-700. Careful with the older Yeasu and Icoms as it may be difficult to interface a sound card if you ever want to try digital modes like PSK. I have an 857 and like it cause i can do anything and everything with it.

Yes, it was pricier than I wanted to spend. But I'm a big tech geek, and I wanted something with some modern functionality. I almost went with the ID-5100A, because it's cheaper. It's very easy to program. I haven't used the programming software once yet. I just wish it did 222.

I don't imagine I'll be buying another rig for many years, since there's so much to learn and so many antennas to build.

Yes, it was pricier than I wanted to spend. But I'm a big tech geek, and I wanted something with some modern functionality. I almost went with the ID-5100A, because it's cheaper. It's very easy to program. I haven't used the programming software once yet. I just wish it did 222.

I don't imagine I'll be buying another rig for many years, since there's so much to learn and so many antennas to build.

I hear ya, if i had the cash i would be all over that.

I have looked all over the net and can't find somewhere to schedule or take a test. I have sent emails to local clubs, but haven't got any replies yet.

congrats on passing, don't stop there, go to the top !!
i went from novice to tech to general to advanced to extra in just over a yr.
i had an ol ham giving me the push. he has been a SK for while now.
studied the code just for the test. got to where i didn't hear dots and dashes, actually heard words.
never used it again after passing the tests. i am hf ragchewer and dx hunter.
many hobbies have come and gone throughout the yrs but ham radio is here to stay till the end for me.

I have been using ARRL' site and all I've been getting is No records found matching your query. Been trying within 50 mi and 100mi.

I'll check with the Billerica library.

Not ready yet just got the book from ARRL today.

Last edited:
This seems to work:
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

EXAM SESSION
05/31/2014 | Slatersville RI 02876-9999
Sponsor: Blackstone Valley ARC
Time: 9:00 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
Learn More
EXAM SESSION
06/21/2014 | Marlborough MA 01752-3851
Sponsor: Minute Man Repeater Assoc
Time: 9:00 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
Learn More
EXAM SESSION
07/09/2014 | Framingham MA 01701-9999
Sponsor: Framingham ARA
Time: 7:15 PM (No walk-ins)
Learn More

Congrats!!!! [cheers]

I am still studying--I plan to take my general test next month.

Doing some digging today to get to the outside house ground to bond my station ground... [smile]

Last edited:
I have looked all over the net and can't find somewhere to schedule or take a test. I have sent emails to local clubs, but haven't got any replies yet.

Marlboro, MA (Minuteman Radio Club) gives them every quarter. Rt. 20 just off 495 at the library in Marlboro. Usually on Sat at 9:00 AM. Nice bunch of guys, very well organized.

Back
Top Bottom