Parts/Accessories without LTC?

Sorry, this seems like a question that would have been asked a lot here, but I couldn't find it.

I was wondering what types of firearm related parts and accessories I can still buy while waiting for my license? For example, I saw a deal on an AR stock but I'm unaware of whether I can buy that without some firearms license. I would think I could get things like optics and stocks, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I can't in Mass. This applies to online merchants out of state and in state, as well as private sales.

Again, sorry if this is a reoccurring thread.

The list of what you can buy is longer than the list you can't buy. Retailers will tell you when you need to ship it to a FFL. You can't possess ammunition or their components.

If you're specifically talking about an AR.. the only thing you cannot buy without your LTC is the AR lower. You can buy the parts kit, triggers, buffer tubes etc. without issue.

The list of what you can buy is longer than the list you can't buy. Retailers will tell you when you need to ship it to a FFL. You can't possess ammunition or their components.

Ok. Am I to assume that if they will ship it to me, it doesn't require licensing? This seems...precarious.

As gillham pointed out, the only thing you can not buy is the lower receiver. Although legally, mags over 10 rounds would also be off limits without a LTC-A. You could have an entire AR upper shipped right to your door

If you're specifically talking about an AR.. the only thing you cannot buy without your LTC is the AR lower.
And pre-ban hi-cap magazines which require an LTC-B or LTC-A. The previous poster said LTC-A, however, it's LTC-A for hi cap handguns; LTC-B or LTC-A for hi cap rifles.

Ok, thanks guys.

Since you mentioned hi-cap mags, I was under the impression that even if my license is unrestricted, I'm still limited to 10 rounds on an AR unless its preban?

Ok, last question, I swear lol I'm still confused about the MA compliance handgun issue. I've read a lot of the stickies and stuff, but it still seems tricky to me. If I wanted to purchase a newer model handgun but wasn't on the MA compliance list, this means that an FFL can't sell it, but a private seller could? And its legal to own a non MA compliant handgun? And if so, granted I have an unrestricted class A, can it contain more than a 10 round magazine, or does the AWB still forbid this in this scenario? And if the manufacturer or aftermarket does not sell a 10 round or less clip for it, then I'm sorta SOL on being able to buy it?

Ok, last question, I swear lol I'm still confused about the MA compliance handgun issue. I've read a lot of the stickies and stuff, but it still seems tricky to me. If I wanted to purchase a newer model handgun but wasn't on the MA compliance list, this means that an FFL can't sell it, but a private seller could? And its legal to own a non MA compliant handgun? And if so, granted I have an unrestricted class A, can it contain more than a 10 round magazine, or does the AWB still forbid this in this scenario? And if the manufacturer or aftermarket does not sell a 10 round or less clip for it, then I'm sorta SOL on being able to buy it?
Magazine not clip, every gun makes 10 or less pretty much maybe a few acceptions, but 99% of them have 10 round mags there was a federal ban that limited them to that from 94-04.

I know of at least one handgun that usually requires a clip, and it's not a semi auto.

Rep points to the first correct posting.

[laugh]

To the OP: As a general rule, the gun shop will let you know what's required for purchase of an item. As a general rule, the frame or action (or lower reciever) of a firearm is what is considered to be the "firearm" for regulatory purposes (there are rare exceptions). Otherwise, it can be treated as a piece of metal, plastic, or wood.

But it is legal to own a NON MA compliant handgun, just can't get it from a dealer?

It is legal to own a non compliant handgun. It is illegal for a dealer to transfer one to you, but if they do it's not illegal for you to accept the transfer and own the gun. The onus and consequences are 100% on the dealer. It's also legal to receive a non compliant handgun from another LTC holder via FA-10 (the form you need to fill out to complete a face to face transfer).

Just make sure you don't end up with any illegal high capacity magazines (i.e. manufactured post 1994) along with that non compliant handgun. I've seen them floating around.

Thanks. I was worried because the compliancy list looked like slim pickin's and I was disappointed a little.

Be aware, non compliant guns will fetch a premium in MA because of the scarcity. Don't be surprised to find sellers asking more than the original MSRP for a used gun. It's just supply and demand.

The classifieds on this forum are probably the best source for non compliant guns via FTF sale.

If you're specifically talking about an AR.. the only thing you cannot buy without your LTC is the AR lower. You can buy the parts kit, triggers, buffer tubes etc. without issue.
And > 10 round mags even if pre-ban.

Back
Top Bottom