• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Part time NH resident looking for a resident PP.

dcmdon

NES Member
Hi all,

I currently own a weekend place in NH. I spend roughly 60 days per year there. Per the ATF, I am a resident of NH when I am there and can lawfully purchase firearms as a NH resident.

I recently approached my local PD about a resident PP. I was told that they gave resident license to only full time residents. I asked them why? They said that's how they have always done it.
But that if I could find something in NH laws that defines what a resident is, they would issue it.

So my question is this.

Can anyone provide a link to any NH law or reg that defines what a resident is.

I'm not looking for conjecture or stories. Just a link to the law. Or a statement that it doesn't exist.

Thanks,

Don

What is your reason for wanting a resident pistol and revolver license? Can that need be met by a non-resident P&R?
I recently approached my local PD about a resident PP. I was told that they gave resident license to only full time residents. I asked them why? They said that's how they have always done it. But that if I could find something in NH laws that defines what a resident is, they would issue it.
SO the phrase in the RSA is "...any resident of such town...", and while not defined in RSA 159, the debate over resident status due to recent disputes over voting has only muddied the waters. See for example RSA 654:2, II(b)

To the OP, how does the PD know you only spend 60 days per year there? Do you own the place? Pay taxes? Have a NH drivers license?

From what I recall my last application process went like this:

Drop off application at PD
PD requests copy of DL
Tell them to pound sand
License is issued within 10 days

You also do not need a P&R license to purchase in NH. So I’m not sure what you are looking to accomplish.

But is still need for reciprocity with other states where one may be seeking a non-res permit.

I’m looking at you Massachusetts.
Nothing works to get a NR in the PRM... Having a NH P&R (resident) does give reciprocity to some other states, like Maine. But that's another con carry state, so it really is only needed in some cases (state parks for instance).

Nothing works to get a NR in the PRM... Having a NH P&R (resident) does give reciprocity to some other states, like Maine. But that's another con carry state, so it really is only needed in some cases (state parks for instance).

And not having to notify (another instance)

To the OP, how does the PD know you only spend 60 days per year there? Do you own the place? Pay taxes? Have a NH drivers license?

From what I recall my last application process went like this:

Drop off application at PD
PD requests copy of DL
Tell them to pound sand
License is issued within 10 days

You also do not need a P&R license to purchase in NH. So I’m not sure what you are looking to accomplish.
Because he probably told them he was a part time resident. Resident carry license is $10 for 3 or 4 yrs I forget. Non resident is $100. Pay the $100 and be done with it. Lesson learned, shut your mouth and don't give to much info.

Right, but with Constitutional carry now in effect, a P&R is no longer needed to conceal carry.
That is very likely temporary. Sununu won't be in office forever. I have maintained my P&R specifically in the hope that once the Democrats repeal constitutional carry and wreck the P&R licensing process to make it more like that of MA, having maintained a license in good standing for many years will somehow help. $10 every 5+ years is short money for something that _might_ help me be able to continue carrying legally years down the road.

NR NH permit used to be good in PA. No longer, resident only. I believe other states too. The bad side of limited constitutional carry.

Because he probably told them he was a part time resident. Resident carry license is $10 for 3 or 4 yrs I forget. Non resident is $100. Pay the $100 and be done with it. Lesson learned, shut your mouth and don't give to much info.

As stated above, a non-resident does not get you the same 'freedoms' that a resident P&R gets you.

This could be a great learning experience for NH member residents, the rest of us and the Local NHPD licensing officers.

As stated above, a non-resident does not get you the same 'freedoms' that a resident P&R gets you.

This could be a great learning experience for NH member residents, the rest of us and the Local NHPD licensing officers.
My point was why volunteer information no one's asking.

My point was why volunteer information no one's asking.
Many NH towns want to see your New Hampshire resident ID (e.g. driver's license); a few have (wrongly) insisted on making a photocopy of the DL to attach to the application, but even towns that stay within the law still insist on seeing ID.

Those responding "get a NR permit'" are missing a possible point. It may be that the OP wants his NH license on his NH permit as part of a portfolio to prove NH residency to gunshops when buying handguns and rifles not legal in MA.

Those responding "get a NR permit'" are missing a possible point. It may be that the OP wants his NH license on his NH permit as part of a portfolio to prove NH residency to gunshops when buying handguns and rifles not legal in MA.
And/or, as some others have stated, adding NH Resident P&R to your wallet with only a MA LTC, through reciprocity, gets you 7 additional states you can carry in.

Wow. I took a few days off and all these answers.

I want a resident license because of the reciprocity that it offers. I regularly go to FL and currently maintain a FL non-resident carry license. A resident NH license would eliminate that need as well as offering reciprocity in a number of other states that don't recognize a non-resident NH license.

It avoids the hassle if buying a gun up there of having to explain that the Feds allow temporary residents to buy guns in their second state of residence per the instructions for ATF form 4473 questions 2 and 20. Some stores know, some stores can be enlightened, some stores refuse and won't budge.

I do have a utility bill, but do not have a NH drivers license.

The NH drivers license was the first thing the PD asked for when we started filling out the form. I did not volunteer that I was a part time resident.

KEEPER - Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. So per NH law, I am not a resident because I am not domiciled in NH.

KEEPER - Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. So per NH law, I am not a resident because I am not domiciled in NH.
I wouldn't worry about RSA 21:1. That's a general construction statute for state lawyers to interpret; it doesn't impose any affirmative requirement on you.

At the end of the day, you can get what you want. Don't lie, but keep your mouth shut and don't volunteer anything you aren't required to under the law.

I intend to buy property in NH. Once I've closed on the purchase, I'll apply for a NH ID based by meeting the requirements here: https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions...ication-residency-uscitizen-non-compliant.pdf. Once I'm issued the ID, I'll apply for my resident P&R, and provide all the documents necessary to do so.

Whether or not a "general construction" section of NH law contemplates residency as living there "to the exclusion of all other places" (and whether you actually are doing so) should be of no concern to you. Your job is to provide the documents the P&R law requires, and if you do, they're required to issue (both in the case of the DMV ID and the P&R).

Are you really complaining about taxes in NH? Lets see. No capital gains, income, or sales tax.

If you look at the R/E taxes based on the home itself, not its value, its comparable to MA.
In other words. A really nice 9 room colonial in NH, which may cost $300k has comparable R/E taxes to the same house in MA which may cost $900k.

Are you really complaining about taxes in NH? Lets see. No capital gains, income, or sales tax.

If you look at the R/E taxes based on the home itself, not its value, its comparable to MA.
In other words. A really nice 9 room colonial in NH, which may cost $300k has comparable R/E taxes to the same house in MA which may cost $900k.
Bullshit.

Our taxes in NH are $1,400 less than our house in Boston: which is worth 4-5X as much. It’s a f***ing joke, but OK, NH is perfect and I should enjoy paying ridiculous RE taxes.

NH taxes dividends. When I sold my company I paid NH twice as much as MA+CT combined.

work in MA, live in NH, you get bent over on taxes in a bad way.

A NH NR permit is NG in Florida, where a NH Resident one is.

For extra fun, you can register a car, bost or trailer in NH if it spends most of the time there.

But to register an OHRV (motorcycle, snowmobile) they go by your operators license. So on top of the sky high real estate taxes they can gouge you for non-Resident fees.
My car sits in Merrimack 40hrs a week, that should be enough right? lol

Back
Top Bottom