• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Part 2: .380 showdown: Kahr CW380 vs Ruger LCP

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Some of you may remember my posting "380 showdown" from last year, where I compared the Ruger LCP and the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. See this link: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...4-380-showdown-S-amp-W-Bodyguard-vs-Ruger-LCP

I recently came across a Kahr CW380, and wanted to do a quick comparison between the Kahr to the Ruger as well. The .380 isn't the most powerful caliber, but still good enough for close up, last resort self defense, and that's the purpose of these tiny guns. If you want to go to Alaska and shoot Mr. Grizzly Bear, feel free to bring the 454 Casull, but for light carry and deep concealment, the .380 is all you need.

The Kahr CW380 is a cheaper version of the P380 - the only differences are that the P380 has a polygonal barrel while the CW380 has regular barrel, and the slide on the P380 is slightly more refined. For all practical purposes the P380 and the CW380 are the same gun.

162373751.jpg

Both the Ruger LCP and the Kahr CW380 are very similar in size. The Kahr CW380 is slightly shorter, but has a longer grip than the Ruger. Width is the same for all practical purposes. The profile of the Kahr is a bit more boxy, and I find that the Kahr actually prints more when pocket carried, particularly when using thinner dress-type of pants. The Ruger LCP's more rounded profile makes it disappear more easily.

162373753.jpg

162373754.jpg

162373755.jpg

The Ruger LCP weighs in at 9.6 ounces. with the magazine! Simply amazing! The Kahr is a bit heavier, at 11.4 ounces with magazine, but neither gun is heavy! These guns are so light that you can easily forget that you're carrying.

162373759.jpg

162373760.jpg

The recoil of the Ruger LCP is very snappy and borderline unpleasant. The Kahr CW380 is not as snappy, probably due to a heavier slide. Both guns are super lightweight, but the 18% weight difference does change felt recoil.

For accuracy testing, I shot 5 rounds of Hornady American Gunner ammo in each gun. The pictures speak for themselves.

162373758.jpg

162373756.jpg

162373757.jpg

I had one flyer with the CW380, probably due to my unsteady hand, but I have to say that I'm very impressed with the CW380: 4 holes touching each other! Outstanding for a mouse gun with a 2.58" barrel!

The Ruger LCP wasn't bad either, and both guns are plenty accurate for close up self defense.

The trigger on the LCP is shorter, but grittier. The CW380 has an amazingly smooth trigger, but with a longer pull, almost like a double action revolver. Both guns have long and hard enough trigger pulls to make them perfectly safe for pocket carry, even without a safety.

162373752.jpg

So which gun is "better"? I honestly don't know.

The Kahr CW380 feels like a more quality gun, it is more pleasant to shoot and is more accurate. The Ruger LCP is lighter and prints less when pocket carried, and is still accurate enough. I would be perfectly fine carrying either gun - and I probably will be carrying both, depending on clothing and carrying conditions. Neither gun had any misfires or mechanical issues during my testing, and I would feel safe and well prepared carrying either one of them.

The only downside with them is that they are relatively hard to find in Massachusetts, but hopefully they will be added to the approved roster at some point!

Last edited:
With the Kahr, I get a slight bit of bite on my trigger finger, near the pivot of the trigger. That bugged me.

Kahr has real sights, LCP is one snappy little pistol, so I went with Kahr but they are both good pocket pistols. Probably comes down to hand comfort as deciding factor.

Nice writeup. I have and enjoy the LCP, for a pocket gun. Very much appreciate its rounded corners for comfort in carrying as well as fewer snags when drawing from a pocket. I have, though, on one occasion with a soft sided holster, had the mag release get pressed while carrying in left pocket.

i have a PM9 and like it much. really hoping i can snag a CW or P380 at some point, thanks for review!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

LCP upgrades

Nice review. Thanks. +1

The Kahr feels more like a "real" gun, but the LCP simply disappears in the pocket. However, you can do a couple relatively easy mods to improve the accuracy, felt recoil, and trigger bite of the LCP for about $100.

See here http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp/

I'm just finishing doing this to mine. All done except for the trigger reset adjustments which I plan to do next week. All total about an hour of work never having done it before.

These essentially make the older LCP more like the newer LCP Custom, except for the sights. I will probably upgrade the sights also at some point, because the LCP sights suck. However, for me sights are not as critical on this kind of close range, self-defense gun.

I think these improvements should put the LCP more on par with the Kahr.

Last edited:
I have 2 p380s. I would take them all day long over an Lcp. Kahr has better quality overall. I don't like the trigger on the Lcp.

Back
Top Bottom