• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Parking near Harvard Square

I'm taking a class over the next two months thats held a few blocks north of Harvard Square. The problem I face is that I need to drive in so I'm trying to figure out the parking situation and it seems to be a nightmare. I'm not familiar with the area; anyone know of a street with favorable parking hours during the evening/week and morning/weekend, or happen to live nearby and not mind someone parking on their property for a few hours a week in exchange for some beer/ammo? [wink]

Also generally speaking how safe is this area at night? Thanks

I don't think there are many public parking areas in Harvard Square. That place is a cluster and during the day it looks like someone stepped on an ant hill.

Talk about a rock and a hard place... Mostly pay to play there. I'd drive around and scope it out. Nothing is easy in Cambridge.

I believe there are several public parking garages in the area but I would go on the off-hours to familiarize yourself with the area. There are also many metered spaces but finding one in the middle of the day is a crap shoot. Take the T into Cambridge if possible.

i never had problems parking in harvard sq, i make my way to the center hoping to find parking, if I dont I spiral my way out around harvard sq until the distance to walk is to far, i will make my way back to the center if I dont find parking I may spiral out one more time depending if I'm running late, if this does not yield parking I will go to one of the two public garages, they are a stones throw from each other, i have never encountered the large one completely filled, the super small one floor underground garage is metered and cheaper so its typically filled

I believe there are several public parking garages in the area but I would go on the off-hours to familiarize yourself with the area. There are also many metered spaces but finding one in the middle of the day is a crap shoot. Take the T into Cambridge if possible.

This!

Be aware that Cambridge near Harvard Square is much like Boston, with "resident only" parking all over the place. Finding a space can be a real hassle and doing it over and over again (they do ticket) would be a nightmare. There are a couple of garages (not cheap, I'm sure) but otherwise it's probably a lot cheaper to take the T from Alewife.

Check this out for some discounted rates:
http://boston.centralparking.com/Boston-Cambridge-Parking.html

Parking garage @ alewife = $7
Round trip Redline T fare = $4 for Charlie card, $5 for Regular fare.

I think I'll keep feeding the parking meter and drive around Harvard square for parking.

OP only need parking for less than 2 hrs, not whole day.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Thanks for the info. I went in early so I'd have time to check out the area but holysh*t does traffic suck in Cambridge. I ended up just taking a spot along the street which actually worked out well. I'm guessing those spots will disappear quick once the fall semester starts up. MFP4073 - I called that garage you mentioned and if I buy prepaid tickets with my student discount it will be $7 per each stay which is the best I found. I will use that as a backup.

If you're taking a class at the Harvard Summer School I think you can get Harvard parking garage access.

Another option is to find someone who lives in that zone and borrow their visitor
parking permit.

Otherwise I find the meter parking to be workable, you can normally find a spot within 10 minutes. The streets between Mt Auburn St and Memorial Dr are a good bet, eg De Wolfe and Plympton.

Back
Top Bottom